TA chainrings for 10 speed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
s_b

TA chainrings for 10 speed

Post by s_b »

Situation: Changing the rings on a Campag Comp triple 135/74 bcd in a 10 speed set-up. Aim to go as low as I can, so inner/middle 24/39T is decided.
Outer would normally be determined by the front mech (Veloce triple 2013), so 50T to give the required minimum 11T middle-outer difference (I am assuming this as the 2013 triple chainsets were 52/39 or 50/39). For a 49T outer I could probably find an older Campag front mech on Ebay that will suit a 10T difference.
The only 135 bcd chainrings readily available are TA (not many silver Campag middle rings out there that I can see, and Stronglight don't seem to do any middle position 135 bcd rings).

Complication: TA specification requires minimum 12T difference middle-outer for 9/10 speed rings when used in a 10-speed setup:
"standard 135 Campagnolo 9/10V. Attention : 10V = 12 dents d'écart minimum entre deux plateaux" (10 speed = minimum 12 tooth difference between two chainrings).
I can only imagine that the 12T requirement is because of the ramp pattern to aid shifting. So it may not shift well with a 10 or 11T middle-outer difference. In this case I would have to push the outer up to 51T, which I don't want to do as it would make it even more difficult for the front mech with a 24T inner.

Question: Has anyone any experience of using TA chainrings in a 10 speed set-up with a less than 12T middle-outer difference?
hamster

Re: TA chainrings for 10 speed

Post by hamster »

I happily run 24/39/48T on my Centaur 10 chainset with TA rings.
Front mech is a Centaur 10 triple.
123malford

Post by 123malford »

I run a Comp Triple 50/40/30 as supplied by Campagnolo with Comp long cage rear and front mechs. So 10 tooth difference. Ergo levers are Xenon. I did find that setting up the front mech so that changes were good and crisp took a little time - there seemed to be one spot and that was it , no leeway. But front mechs can be a bit tedious sometimes. I would be interested to follow how you get on as lowering the gearing is something at some stage I will also undertake.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I've run Record triple FDs for over a decade and found them to be okay with a minimum of 8 teeth difference, although I er on the side of caution and use 26/36/46.

But, of course, it depends on what chainrings and how they are shaped. The Stronglight rings I use tend to be flat allowing a high level of mix and match.

Are you sure Stronglight do not do Campag rings in your desired ratios?

Get a 110/74 BCD triple and life will be much easier.
I should coco.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've got TA 50/39/26 rings running quite happily on a 3x10 set up with a Comp Triple chainset & Comp Triple derailleurs*. I've contemplated using a 24 inner but haven't got round to trying it yet.

Rick.
(*The only thing I've had to do was change the cable alignment of the FD slightly - the cable now goes under the "pip" instead of over - to get enough FD movement, as the Comp Triple FD is QS & the newer Centaur Ergos I'm using are post QS & don't quite pull enough cable.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

RickH wrote:(*The only thing I've had to do was change the cable alignment of the FD slightly - the cable now goes under the "pip" instead of over - to get enough FD movement, as the Comp Triple FD is QS & the newer Centaur Ergos I'm using are post QS & don't quite pull enough cable.)

I would have a play with your set-up as cable pull ratio across 10 speed Campagnolo has never changed. I understand with QS/non-QS you sometimes need more clicks to get the required movement.
I should coco.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Valbrona wrote:I would have a play with your set-up as cable pull ratio across 10 speed Campagnolo has never changed. I understand with QS/non-QS you sometimes need more clicks to get the required movement.

What ever should happen, this is what I found did happen.

When I put the new Ergos on (bike had QS Centaur ones that I replaced with non QS Centaur ones, with the new shape "horns" in 2010, described as "ERGOPOWER ULTRA-SHIFT" in the cataologue for that year) I spent ages fiddling with the adjustment and couldn't get it to reliably change up to the big ring AND down onto the small one. It wasn't the mech adjustment as if I backed off the adjusters and pulled the cable by hand I could easily get it to overshoot at both ends. There just wasn't enough movement - 1 more click & it would have been fine. The best I could manage was a good change down onto the small ring (& you really want that change to work properly) and an iffy change onto the big ring with chain rub when on the that ring in pretty much any gear if I put any real pressure on the pedals.

I was thinking how to get a bit more movement for less cable pull and as an initial experiment simply moved the cable so it went under the pip that it was supposed to go over. The result - perfect shifting on all 3 rings (3 clicks per ring - left ergo has 6 clicks total). I was going to figure a more permanent solution but it has now been working that way for several years so I don't think I'm about to start fiddling again.

Rick.
s_b

Post by s_b »

Valbrona wrote:Are you sure Stronglight do not do Campag rings in your desired ratios?

Stronglight outer rings are readily available in 135 bcd.
Spa list Zicral 39-46T but without any description. I'm assuming these are inner rings for double chainsets, as the Stronglight website only shows outers and inners, no middles (unlike for 130 bcd, where they do show middles).
That's why I was only looking at TA.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've had both Stronglight & TA rings &, in my opinion, TA ones are much better quality. Definitely better finished, whether or not they will wear better I don't know. The TA outer & middle ones have shifting pins too where they've not with Stronglight ones but my sample has been quite small so may not be representative.

Rick.