Are modern SPD/MTB shoes shock Absorbant?!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RideToWorky

Are modern SPD/MTB shoes shock Absorbant?!

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya all,

Pleasant surprize yesterday!

45 minutes ride on road bike.

Wore Walking boots, as it was freezing.... and Gore windproof winter gloves, with no padding....

... It was brilliant! before even left the side road. I noticed the bike was so much smoother! Felt I could ride for ages, everything really conforatble, including the Hands! (?!?!)

I'm guessing, my 30yr old Shimano summer shoes, which I finally got MTB clips put on for Road bike this year, have rubbish shock absorption.

So, are modern SPD/MTB shoes a lot more shock Absorbant?!

Hope you can Advise
(revising my perspective on when to upgrade the Road bike now!... it rides great in current set up!)

Regards
Martin
Last edited by RideToWorky on 22 Nov 2015, 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Re: Are modern SPD/MTB shoes shock Absorbant?!

Post by Brucey »

if you are going to do a lot of riding it is always best to use shoes that fit you and have a stiff sole. I'd expect the walking boots to have a stiff sole perhaps?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Hi again brucey,

These are the boots! 8)
http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/comet ... cle=370711

Took me going through 4 types of walking boots to find ones that worked best for me, walking holidays etc.
Have those super foot inserts as well etc.

Google search
Happy shimano are doing the same kind of things:
eg.
http://bicycletimesmag.com/shimano-rele ... spd-shoes/
The "Vibratim" soles are familiar to some walking boots I've gone through 8)
ukpacker

Post by ukpacker »

Hi Ridetoworkey,
at last the month of rain has come to a break, got back from a ride this afternoon and suffered shooting pains in my toes as they warmed up, perhaps summer style mesh cycling shoes were not the best thing to wear given the temps, but I don't like gore tex liners in any footwear, just too warm for me and not appropriate for cycling shoes. Just from a cycling perspective cushioning is undesirable as it would absorb energy which we hope to convert into motion of the pedals, cushioning is also unnecessary as pedalling does not involve any impact to cushion, however multi use cycling shoes can come in very handy for activities which involve getting of the bike. I have done short backpacking trips in cycling shoes with a pannier converted to a rucksack , at the time there was only one pair of shoes that I new of which would be tolerable for such use and it's good to see that there is more choice today.
regards
ukpacker.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Because SPD shoes are clipped into the pedals, it helps if they are a good fit and the cleats are well positioned, otherwise you will experience discomfort, though usually at much greater distances than a 45 minute ride. Perhaps your 30 yr old shoes have become a little mis-shaped, or were never as comfortable as your well fitting walking boots. Shimano are also known for producing narrow fitting shoes - hardly ideal when you are clipped in with less movement than platform pedals. How about trying out some new SPD's in a bike shop for fit?

You don't require huge shock absorption from SPD shoes if they're a good fit and have stiff soles, otherwise over very long distances you can experience 'hot foot', a type of numbness, due to less than ideal stiffness in the soles and a small shoe/pedal interface, although improved on some newer SPD pedals.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

i think the shock absorbing qualities will depend on the shoe. none of mine have anything like, they are very stiff soled.

even if you get something with a soft rubber tread, this won't help much when clipped in and pedaling.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Terminology:
"Anit-Vibration" That's the term!

"EVA" - thats the kinda stuff in my walking boots etc.

Good link:
http://totalwomenscycling.com/commuting ... in-49677/1
Its funny but this web site seems to deal with comfort and fit issues a lot better than others that seem to just gloss over important issues

Be good to hear about "Anit-Vibration" SPD/MTB shoes advice etc

Cheers
Martin
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is a compromise.

Stiff will transfer leg power through the transmission better than a soft absorbing sole, at a compromise to comfort

Personally I needed a walking boot as I visit a lot of sites and churches when touring, but on the trikes wanted the security that SPDs bring

Enter the Shimano MT90:

RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Cunobelin wrote:This is a compromise.

Stiff will transfer leg power through the transmission better than a soft absorbing sole, at a compromise to comfort

Personally I needed a walking boot as I visit a lot of sites and churches when touring, but on the trikes wanted the security that SPDs bring

Enter the Shimano MT90:

Nice!
Similar dimensions to my boots, over ankles etc
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya All,

Many thanks for all the info guys!

Apologies for delay in reply, limited time to put stuff on forum.

I am simply throwing the questions onto the forum, and picking up the replies in lumps, every so often!

Best wishes
Martin