10sp Single

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

10sp Single

Post by Mick F »

Riding yesterday, I met up with a chap on a blue alu road bike with disc brakes (and no mudguards!). We chatted as we rode - maybe four or five miles. He bought the bike secondhand and the previous owner had fitted an MTB drive-train.

Whilst descending, I remarked on how noisy his freewheel was, and then I saw the single chainwheel and the fact that it was 10sp, so asked how he was getting on with it.

It looked like a 48t? chainwheel and the smallest sprocket looked quite small so was probably 11t. Big cog was at least 30t, could have been 32t or 34t maybe.

My main question was on chain longevity and he reckoned he got a year out of a chain (I didn't ask how far that was in a year), but what he said next interested me somewhat. I raised the point that having 10sp on on single chainwheel wasn't good for the chain, but he said that it was a special one designed for the task. Who made it? ........... SRAM.

Is this correct?
Do SRAM make a chain specifically designed and flexible enough for a 10sp single?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Re: 10sp Single

Post by al_yrpal »

DT Swiss hubs and freewheels are very noisy. It was probably 11 to 34 which is a common range on MTBs.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

So what about 1x11 set-ups then, with an 11-42 at the back? Wouldn't that be worse? Although it's becoming big now in the MTB world seemingly.

As for noisy, those MTB types have a thing for noisy hubs. Urgh. :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The difference between 10sp and 11sp is hardly anything in the width.

Although my Campag 10sp Triple will work ok cross-chaining and it doesn't seem to complain, I know that the chain is under sideways stress. A 10sp Single is like me staying on the inner or middle ring permanently. Mine will do it, but I wouldn't chose to do it permanently.
Mick F. Cornwall
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

SRAM make special single speed chainrings with short/tall teeth.
I should coco.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah!
That's what he maybe meant?

Not a special chain, but a special chainring?
Mick F. Cornwall
bryce

Post by bryce »

Shimano 10 speed is a full gear smaller than 11 speed. Shimano moved to Campagnolo 9-11 speed cassette sizing with the move to 11. Shimano 10 speed cassettes have almost the same spacing as 11 speed, with a little careful adjustment Campagnolo 11 speed shifters and dérailleurs will shift 10 speed Shimano. The difference in tooth pitch is the same as other Shimergo mixes.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

SRAM does have a chain for 1x11 setups, which also can be used in 1x10 setups....
https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/pc-x1-chain
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

1 x10 has been around as a MTB set up for a few years. SRAM have had 1x11 running for over a year as a CX set up. Fancy chain rings and a clutch mech keeps the chain tight.
Much though it goes against the grain I feel that extreme crosses are not so bad with 10 speed. The chains flex more than old ones and the cassette is not that wide.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Is it fashionable to turn the clock back 40 years or more :?

I don't get it, I suppose he also sported a leather saddle too...........................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've not ridden single-10 or single-11, but the idea appeals to me. It has simplicity going for it, just change up or down as required. The downside is presumably that you don't get quite the range you would with a double (or triple!).

Most of the time you're going to be on a middle-ish cog and presumably the chainring is in the equivalent position to the middle ring of a triple, so chain flex isn't really going to be that much of an issue, I'd have thought.

Campag and Hope seem to make the noisiest freehubs, to my ears at least.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

10sp Single

It ain't nat'ral I 'ee.
No good'll cum o' it

Ain't nat'ral at aalll
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

reohn2 wrote:
10sp Single

It ain't nat'ral I 'ee.
No good'll cum o' it

Ain't nat'ral at aalll

Too right it ain't. Single speed is 45, it's 33 for LPs! Unless you've got one o' they ol' 78s.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Too right it ain't. Single speed is 45, it's 33 for LPs! Unless you've got one o' they ol' 78s.

Waddabout 8 track? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

This 1x10/11 is nothing new. I was running 1x8 on my Alpine Stars MTB 10 years ago. Sachs Wavey right hand twist shifter, Shimano short cage rear mech, 12-28 cassette and 42t chainring with a butchered 52t, teeth removed, on the outside and 1.5" Michelin city tyres. Never dropped the chain in the time I rode it.