Crack in chainstay 18-23 tubing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
BicesterTerrier

Crack in chainstay 18-23 tubing

Post by BicesterTerrier »

Hi! Hope you can help with this. I bought a late 80s bike from eBay recently with a view to stripping, refurbing and rebuilding. Once I got it stripped I noticed a crack in the chainstay, on the drive side close to the bridge. It runs about 2/3 of the circumference.

The bike is a Raleigh Banana, 18-23 tubing and although I am currently trying to negotiate a resolution with the seller I suspect I am stuck with it - can I repair it? I kind of figure I've got it now, just might have to spread the cost of a rebuild over a few more months but nevermind. If I am going to throw £250+ at a new paint job, what the hell, in for a penny as they say.

I have pictures if necessary, but wanted a general yes/no to begin with.

Cheers!!

Rich
Valbrona

Re: Crack in chainstay 18-23 tubing

Post by Valbrona »

Possibly hundreds of pounds to replace a chainstay and repaint.
I should coco.
willcee

Post by willcee »

If you are having it professionally refinished usually any frame renovator would likely have access in house or outsource to an expert handling frame repairs.. imo this could be successfully repaired and would never show after a refinish.. i would however have a look inside for water ingress around the bb area and also check that the rear end isn't twisted after a shunt.. ime it would be wiser and have a better result given the amount you are likely to outlay to start your process with either a columbus tubed frame or 531.. will
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

18-23 tubing is quite easily fusion welded, provided you can remove any excess braze metal from the region OK. A local repair of this sort would avoid the requirement for a complete paint job.

Personally I don't understand the attraction of Raleigh Banana bikes like these; they weren't that well specified or built.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zimba

Post by Zimba »

The attraction is their legendary paint schemes and generally good finishes. Raleigh designers certainly knew their way around a colour wheel. Think the red, black and wasp yellow of the iconic Team Professional for example.

Only a connoisseur of the era would appreciate the aesthetic, I suppose.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yes why not....

but then again

no thanks...?

Personally I'd pick a TI Raleigh or Raleigh Panasonic paint job over the banana one. And if you are talking SBDU frames then for a classy-looking one, the plain gold option like the one in the middle here

is appealing. Actually I have an SBDU frame that needs refinishing and there is no way in hell it is getting some gash pro team paint job, absolutely not.

cheers
Zimba

Post by Zimba »

I think there's a bit of Raleigh snobbery going on here ;) The reason these bikes and paint finishes are so popular, and iconic is for the price of sub £100 you can have the look of an SBDU classic, and save yourself £1500+ into the bargain. For the record,
the Panasonic and Banana finished SBDU bikes get roughly a third less online than the original TI Team Pro finished bicycles. I know from bitter experience trying to bid on one that the 1970/80's colours are the ones most sought after by SBDU collectors.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:Personally I don't understand the attraction of Raleigh Banana bikes like these; they weren't that well specified or built.
A friend of mine has one and he's very proud of it.

Personally, I think it's a very poor frame and not that well finished or put together ............ but I wouldn't tell him that.
Mick F. Cornwall
BicesterTerrier

Thanks for the replies.

I am not interested in the "there's better bikes than a Raleigh" argument. Fact is I ride a 2015 Revenio currently and as a kid my first bike was a Raleigh Winner, I wanted a Banana but my Folks wouldn't let me have one.

This is pure nostalgia, when I was 11 I loved the Saab Convertible, 5 years ago I was lucky enough to pick up a brand new one, I always wanted a Banana, now I can afford one.

The frame I have is the battleship engineered 18-23 it is in the worse of the 2 paint jobs without the yellow on the seat stays, I plan to paint it to look like the prettier looking one and replace decals to suit. Yes, it will be a fake, but it will be my own Banana. I plan on keeping the original down tube shifters and 12 speed, chrome brake levers (no hidden cables) and calipers.

It's not really about the money, unless I have wasted the purchase price. It will never be worth what it costs to repair/refurb, current estimate is £250 for paint, £25 for new BB & headset, £15 for freewheel. Will probably strip/replace axles, it needs a new stem, saddle and bar tape. But it was once a Banana and when I've finished it will be a better looking one.

Now - Can anyone recommend a welder in Oxford area??
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

BicesterTerrier wrote:Now - Can anyone recommend a welder in Oxford area??

Better to use a frame builder. Some suggestions on this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53677
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

BicesterTerrier wrote: Now - Can anyone recommend a welder in Oxford area??

I travel that way from time to time so if you are not in any hurry I can bring a welding set to you and have at it if you like.

Incidentally I quite understand the sentimental attachment to certain bikes; perhaps my own hankering after the gold SBDU paint job is because I once won a race on (a borrowed!) one like that.

cheers
BicesterTerrier

Thanks Vorpal & Brucey.

Where you based Brucey? I travel around a bit myself.

One final question - you do know how to use said welder don't you!? :lol:

Rich
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

It'd be best if I came to you really. I've fixed quite a few frame breaks similar to yours.

cheers
BicesterTerrier

Brucey wrote:It'd be best if I came to you really. I've fixed quite a few frame breaks similar to yours.

cheers

Smashing, thanks again Brucey.

I was wondering if I was passing your spot I could drop it in and leave it with you, no problem though.

Have decided to forget chasing the guy for money back, the b*****d was not responding to contact, it was winding me up, enough people have suggested it is fixable that I am happy to sort it out. Let the stress go, blood pressure drop and put it down to experience.

Argos Cycles came back to me and quoted £120 to replace the chainstay, no chance.

I'll wait to hear from you Brucey!!

Cheers.

Rich
BicesterTerrier

Just to update this post, found someone to tig weld the crack, apparently a guy who also builds drag racing cars - guess he knows what he is doing. Cost me almost as much as the bike, but it is done now.

Thanks Brucey for offering to weld it, but no need anymore.

Now in the process of tittivating the metal bits and then it's off for a spray, going to cost me more than my new bike at this rate, but nevermind!

Cheers!

Rich