Bottom bracket for Islabikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iviehoff

Bottom bracket for Islabikes

Post by iviehoff »

The bottom bracket of my daughter's Islabikes Beinn 20L appears to require replacing. It's a cartridge BB, I assume threaded from the look of it, taper square ends, single chainwheel, 7sp.

Before I get to the point of taking the cranks off to measure the axle length, shell length, etc, and then looking at every bottom bracket on Wiggle to see if it matches, can anyone tell from their own knowledge what will do me as a practical replacement?
Brucey

Re: Bottom bracket for Islabikes

Post by Brucey »

you could ask ISLA, if they don't know, no-one will?

BTW often the BB length is detailed in the spec sheet, so might be on their website.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

I had the same question for 2 Islabikes and I took the cranks off and removed the cartridge bottom bracket to see what it had written on it. No guesswork that way.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Brucey wrote:you could ask ISLA, if they don't know, no-one will?
BTW often the BB length is detailed in the spec sheet, so might be on their website.

The spec sheet says "sealed cartridge BB", very useful. I did check that first. Meant to say so in my post.

Yes I could take it out and look what it says on it, but better value can often be obtained with commonly available spare parts rather than trying to exactly copy the manu's fitted part. And I'd rather have the replacement part before I dismantle the bike, as my daughter still uses it to go to school some days of the week - the bike can still be ridden, it's just rather rough and clicky turning the cranks. But if I have to dismantle, that's how it will be. We are taking the bikes at half term so I have a bit less than 3 weeks to fix it.
robgul

Post by robgul »

... this is a "want it on a plate" thread ....

- the most obvious thing is email or phone Islabikes and ask for the spec - take 5 minutes?? - or just take thing out and look - 10 mins max if you have the extractor tools.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Why don't you just contact Islabike as Brucey suggests? They have good customer service and will get back to you in no time. You can get a different spec bb, but you'll want the same spindle length which is the information they'll give you. A UN54 or UN55 can be had for about £15, better to get one like this that will really last rather than get a worse one for the sake of a couple of quid. Personally I'd go UN54, less likely to creak with a plastic nds cup vs the alu nds cup of the UN55
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

robgul wrote:... this is a "want it on a plate" thread ....

- the most obvious thing is email or phone Islabikes and ask for the spec - take 5 minutes?? - or just take thing out and look - 10 mins max if you have the extractor tools.

I appreciate it is "want it on a plate", if someone knew it off pat, that would save me possibly an hour of work. Bicycle maintenance rarely goes exactly to plan, and things that ought to take 10 mins only take 10 mins once you have found the tools, which are only occasionally used and are at the bottom of a full box of stuff. Or maybe the other box. And I might have someone telling me to put it back together until the spare part arrives. But I'm going out there now to take it apart.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

So less than half an hour later, I even got the bottom bracket out, all came out very easily, still beautifully greased. And its a bog standard 68 x 113 and I do not wish to have another of the same manufacture.
pwa

Post by pwa »

iviehoff wrote:So less than half an hour later, I even got the bottom bracket out, all came out very easily, still beautifully greased. And its a bog standard 68 x 113 and I do not wish to have another of the same manufacture.

You probably need one of the simple Shimano jobs (UN 55?). It should go in as easy as the old one came out. 113mm. You've eliminated the main possible problem: an old bottom bracket that won't come out.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Thanks for the advice on BB names. My eyes glaze over when I see all those BB names.

It was a pretty basic Chinese BB they had in the bike. But I think my daughter has given the bike a more thorough work-out than most would.
Punctillo

Post by Punctillo »

I asked Islabikes about my second-hand one:

Islabike Beinn 20" Small. I sent them photos of the drive side and the frame number.

The reply was:

"it dates from around 2006 and as such pre-dates our records but it should have a 68x122mm square taper bottom bracket with an English thread. "

I will take out the BB and check - seems a long spindle. Bought UN55 from Amazon so can return if it proves to be too long.
Punctillo

Post by Punctillo »

Islabikes said 122mm but I took the old one out and it was 113mm.
I put it in anyway - a new UN55, £18.

As I said - seems to be a very old bicycle, got it second hand off Ebay.

Bottom bracket came extremely easily out - was surprised actually. 30minutes tops replacing it and putting back together.