Brake blocks for steel rims

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Re: Brake blocks for steel rims

Post by rjb »

tatanab wrote:Beware. The Kingpin already has a low bottom bracket with 500A rims. Using 406 will put the bottom bracket even lower so may not be practical (I changed from 451 to 406 on another machine and immediately went back to 451).

Yes the bottom bracket is lower but in practice has not been an issue, Ive got some 150mm cranks to go on so when i get around to it this would increase the ground clearance by another 1.5 cm but as i said i haven't had any issue with pedals hitting the ground when cornering. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tatanab

Re: Brake blocks for steel rims

Post by tatanab »

rjb wrote:[i haven't had any issue with pedals hitting the ground when cornering. :wink:
I admit I had 170 cranks and as you say, cornering is not an issue because you can freewheel. The issue for me was negligible ground clearance from my toes if I happened to be toe down, such as when out of the saddle. Of course your short cranks fix that issue as well.