Ball and socket washers and post mount adapters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Valbrona

Ball and socket washers and post mount adapters

Post by Valbrona »

My conversion from a 140 to a 160 rotor at the front required the use of a 20mm post mount adapter. I knew it would be a faff. Decided on the use of ball and socket washers under the washer that sits under the bolt head.

Started thinking ... should the socket part sit on the bottom and the ball part on the top? Or the other way around? I decided that it doesn't matter, which is a wonder for me.

Any comments? Thanks.
I should coco.
Eyebrox

Re: Ball and socket washers and post mount adapters

Post by Eyebrox »

No difference. But follow the same rule for each as much for OCDism as aesthetics.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Eyebrox wrote:No difference. But follow the same rule for each as much for OCDism as aesthetics.

Not so; you need to use them in full sets (one each side of the part being clamped) and the 'ball' parts go in the centre of the assembly, i.e. against the clamped part (which needs to be within a range of thicknesses that is determined by the ball radius and washer thickness).

If you get it the other way round the articulation won't work properly and the joint will only stay tight when it is pretty much straight.

If in doubt look at V-block mounting or BB7 caliper mounting instructions.

BTW some users find that the aluminium washers crack up when used to mount calipers like this. If you can find steel ones (some cheap V pads come with these, or you can buy aftermarket stainless ones) use those instead.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

shows the correct orientation for the curved washers. However I do not recommend using (> ~ 1mm thickness) spacers at point C, because this screws the spherical geometry.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~