A nice surprise in Cycle magazine

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jezer

A nice surprise in Cycle magazine

Post by jezer »

On page 64 I was delighted to see one of my forum comments about tubular tyres published, together with a reply from Richard Hallett. It's good to know they are keeping an eye on the forum :D
Power to the pedals
hufty

Re: A nice surprise in Cycle magazine

Post by hufty »

I on the other hand think it's a bit lame that they've started doing this, along with their suggestion that your question was actively "submitted via the forum" to the magazine rather than culled in desperation.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
pwa

Post by pwa »

They've just sent me my new membership card, in spite of the fact that several months ago I asked them to close down my direct debit arrangement as I would not be renewing. Must give them a call tomorrow.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I always find the mag to be a good read. Other publications seem to concentrate on sportives and riders who have mega bucks to spend on overpriced stuff. I think CTC is still there for us genuine riders.
Power to the pedals
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

publications generally have to concentrate articles on encouraging us to buy their advertisers goods
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I joined CTC three months ago and have received two copies of the magazine in that time. As a long experienced cyclist and former journalist/editor on newspapers and magazines, I rate the publication very highly. The pagination is understandably limited but, with few ads, good use is made of space and the design is easy to follow. The mix of articles, features and pictures is a fair representation of the organisation, what it does and what it stands for.
I believe that 'Cycle' is a credit to the CTC. The members should feel proud to have such a professional publication complementing their activities. The editorial team also deserve a pat on the back. A very worthwhile element of the membership package.
RickH

Post by RickH »

greyingbeard wrote:publications generally have to concentrate articles on encouraging us to buy their advertisers goods

I suspect it is more likely to be the other way round.

I doubt that the editor suddenly went looking for the article on handcycling in the latest edition because there had been a sudden influx of adverts for cycles that give disabled people access to cycling. The more likely scenario is that, because the article was in the pipeline, a number of firms selling related equipment were approached (by whatever means, direct or iotherwise, they use to sell the space) to see if they were interested in buying advertising space.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Is it my imagination, or does every second issue have an article comparing two off-road bikes with large wheels?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Eyebrox wrote:I joined CTC three months ago and have received two copies of the magazine in that time. As a long experienced cyclist and former journalist/editor on newspapers and magazines, I rate the publication very highly. The pagination is understandably limited but, with few ads, good use is made of space and the design is easy to follow. The mix of articles, features and pictures is a fair representation of the organisation, what it does and what it stands for.
I believe that 'Cycle' is a credit to the CTC. The members should feel proud to have such a professional publication complementing their activities. The editorial team also deserve a pat on the back. A very worthwhile element of the membership package.

+1 Compared to the other 'bling' mags, its refeshing

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Si

Post by Si »

RickH wrote:
greyingbeard wrote:publications generally have to concentrate articles on encouraging us to buy their advertisers goods

I suspect it is more likely to be the other way round.

I doubt that the editor suddenly went looking for the article on handcycling in the latest edition because there had been a sudden influx of adverts for cycles that give disabled people access to cycling. The more likely scenario is that, because the article was in the pipeline, a number of firms selling related equipment were approached (by whatever means, direct or iotherwise, they use to sell the space) to see if they were interested in buying advertising space.

Rick.

Yep, you can imagine the scenario with regard to the article on disc brakes and the advert next to it! Doesn't always go to plan :wink:
honesty

Post by honesty »

If I could just buy the mag, I would. I dont really want to join the CTC though just for the mag...
pwa

Post by pwa »

Richard Hallett's article on disc brakes is interesting, to me at least. He has the nerdy engineering focus that I like. A bit like CJ really. But the rest of the mag will probably get no more than a glance.
PH

Post by PH »

Only flicked through it so far, the Hewitt Cheviot SE review caught my attention as I have one. It's puzzling to say the least, the size and geometry information differs from that on Hewitt's website, one size less and added a degree to the ST angle. It discusses brakes, yet for a bike with bar end shifters it omits to say that it could run superior V brakes. It gives two prices with a difference of £250 between them but doesn't say what you get for that (other than the £80 paint upgrade) The reviewer concludes that he doesn't think the bike can be beaten for quality, value or comfort, but the article hasn't established that. Compared to the thorough review CJ gave the bike a decade or so ago, it looks decidedly amateurish.
Si

Post by Si »

PH wrote:Only flicked through it so far, the Hewitt Cheviot SE review caught my attention as I have one. It's puzzling to say the least, the size and geometry information differs from that on Hewitt's website, one size less and added a degree to the ST angle. It discusses brakes, yet for a bike with bar end shifters it omits to say that it could run superior V brakes. It gives two prices with a difference of £250 between them but doesn't say what you get for that (other than the £80 paint upgrade) The reviewer concludes that he doesn't think the bike can be beaten for quality, value or comfort, but the article hasn't established that. Compared to the thorough review CJ gave the bike a decade or so ago, it looks decidedly amateurish.

Left me wondering if they'd actually ridden it.