Alfine 8 - improved sealing..?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mig

Re: Alfine 8 - improved sealing..?

Post by mig »

i find this sort of thing frustrating. i'd like to try a hub such as this as 90% of my miles are done commuting in all weathers. i just couldn't tolerate the innards being ruined after a year though. hence i run one (non winter) commuter with an adapted rear fixed hub that can be easily lubed and an old cheapo for the winter bike the gets a splodge or three of good grease at around this time of year in preparation for the onslaught of the wet and salt.

brucey - you mention that in your opinion the design of these hubs isn't particularly fit for purpose. what would be the main difference you'd recommend to improve them?
rofan

Post by rofan »

I am trying a different place.
So I could add a port to a finished wheel
(Have not yet tools to work between the spokes)

But I have not a good feeling according the strain to the hub shell by the spokes
Any idea?

OilPortVer2kl.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

rofan wrote:I am trying a different place.
So I could add a port to a finished wheel
(Have not yet tools to work between the spokes)

But I have not a good feeling according the strain to the hub shell by the spokes
Any idea?

that is interesting; I think it will be OK. Maybe you could have a vent there without the lube coming out, too.
BTW it is OK to remove a couple of spokes to give you room if you need it; usually you can get an electric drill between the spokes without too much difficulty.

mig wrote:i find this sort of thing frustrating. i'd like to try a hub such as this as 90% of my miles are done commuting in all weathers. i just couldn't tolerate the innards being ruined after a year though....

brucey - you mention that in your opinion the design of these hubs isn't particularly fit for purpose. what would be the main difference you'd recommend to improve them?

Lubrication
Sealing
Venting
Maintenance regime.

No one thing can be taken in isolation; for example, the seals don't, indeed can't work unless they are kept wetted with lubricant; the grease that shimano use is soon compromised at the seal lips and then the seals run dry, wear out, and fail. If their grease has corrosion inhibitors in it, I see little evidence of it working. Similarly I would describe its salt-water resistance as 'minimal'.

I actually think that an old style SA hub has lots going for it; just a bit of lube in the lube port every now and then, and they go on for ever, more or less. Although it can make a bit of a mess, if there is lube coming out, water generally isn't getting in.... The hub bearings are very strong (far stronger than in Shimano or SRAM IGHs) and usually so are the gears themselves; the tooth loadings are less than in most other geared hubs. I have an SA five speed which has done tens of thousands of miles now and it just keeps going. My plan was to install a three speed internal into the same hubshell if the 5s was troublesome, but that internal has been sat in the parts bin for over 25 years and I've not needed it yet...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~