Double drilled cranks for a child

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bensons

Double drilled cranks for a child

Post by Bensons »

We have just bought a 2013 Galaxy Tandem.

The cranks are these: Truvativ Firex Front 36T 175mm, rear 48/36/26T 170mm.

We want to change the cranks to double drilled ones for a child. The Thorn ones might work but we will have to change the bb and chain wheels.

If anyone can think of another way to make this work we would be grateful.
meic

Re: Double drilled cranks for a child

Post by meic »

Another option is crank shorteners.
Yma o Hyd
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

Thank you, we didn't know about those until now. The Thorn ones don't work with the bike spec we have but we think that the ones from Highpath will work.

Thanks very much.
drossall

Post by drossall »

For a smaller child, of course, you want kiddycranks, also available from SJS.
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

Shes not that small :). Lovely idea though, we never considered a tandem until now as she would have got bored on long distances.

She is 9 and probably only needs an inch at the most - almost 5ft but we bought the large size Galaxy after trying her on it because it is so close and I can use it too!

We have just bought this as her new bike - size wise we really don't need much adjustment but definitely need some.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291557500022? ... EBIDX%3AIT.
drossall

Post by drossall »

You can gain almost an inch by using an old-style basic seat pin and inverting the clip, so that the clip sits above the saddle rails instead of below.

Probably a better approach than my Dad's; he got me on my first bike by putting wooden blocks on the pedals. I came to no harm, but I cannot recommend this procedure.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote:You can gain almost an inch by using an old-style basic seat pin and inverting the clip, so that the clip sits above the saddle rails instead of below.

Probably a better approach than my Dad's; he got me on my first bike by putting wooden blocks on the pedals. I came to no harm, but I cannot recommend this procedure.

On a tandem that's probably acceptable, the stokid doesn't have to touch the floor to balance in the same way as they would on a solo.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Good point. That is, after all, the principle behind both crank shorteners and kiddycranks.
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

My husband loves your idea Drossall, thank you. It is so close we hope your idea works. I replaced the toe clips on my galaxy recently (must have been 20 years old). Because she is almost there height wise and will be secure in her position on the back we almost think that your seat idea and my old toe clips for a bit of foot stability might do the trick.

I will report back, we are having the delivery delayed until next week when we can both be here.
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

Must add that my husband had blocks of wood too !! But I am not sure we would inflict that on our daughter.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Highpath also used to do double drilling of cranks....don't know if they still do!........http://highpath.co.uk/crank-shortening/
rjb

Post by rjb »

You could use a pair of Bungy cords attached to the front and back pedals to keep the rear pedal always pointing in the right direction. This would mean the rear pedal is always in the correct orientation and doesn't drop down. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
RickH

Post by RickH »

Alternative, but somewhat more expensive, crank shorteners are the Circe ones. that give 3 different effective crank lengths & should fit any cranks. Available from Practical Cycles, & others.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

Thank you, we will ask them if they will work if we need them, £50 cheaper than the high path ones.
drossall

Post by drossall »