Servicing MKS FD7 Folding Pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
galibier

Servicing MKS FD7 Folding Pedals

Post by galibier »

Hi

I've recently replaced the resin folding pedals on our Mezzo bikes with MKS FD7s. They seem very well made and much more robust than the originals. However, I can't see how to get access to the bearings and cones for when servicing/lubrication becomes necessary. Has anyone any experience of this please ?

Thanks.
Brucey

Re: Servicing MKS FD7 Folding Pedals

Post by Brucey »

MKS pedals have servicable bearings, at least all that I have encountered do, anyway. Not BTDT with this model though.

http://www.mkspedal.com/English/MKS_padal_news.htm

links to a page with different MKS dustcaps and describes the removal technique for each. Is it one of those, or does the folding mechanism interfere somehow?

If the latter, the folding mechanism may have to be disassembled before you can service the bearings.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
galibier

Post by galibier »

Thanks for your reply.
I had seen the MKS website, but sadly there's no info on the folding pedals. The folding part of the pedal obstructs the end cap behind which I'd expect to find access to the bearings. I can't see any obvious way of removing the folding mechanism without causing damage, so I suspect that MKS intend these to be 'maintenance free'.
Perhaps I'll send MKS an email to enquire.

Thanks again.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

MKS do two different bearing systems; a 'sealed mechanism' -which is code for cup and cone bearings, and a few (mostly top end) pedals which have cartidge bearings in them. I had always assumed the former were fitted to the FD7 model, but if not then maybe there isn't much to be done inside them anyway.

I took a look at the layout of these pedals and it kind of looked to me as is there is a pin each side of the pedal near the pivot which, once removed, might then allow the cage and then the release button to be removed in turn and thence access to the bearings.

Maybe MKS don't intend this to be done, like you say; you might damage them trying I suppose.

cheers
drossall

Post by drossall »

Thread necromancy.

This morning, I made a discovery by accident. After a careless fold, one of my FD-7s fell apart. Took me a while to figure out how to put it back, but it's fine.

Normally you can't fold the pedal more than 90 degrees because (a) there's a stop and (b) the crank gets in the way. However, if you point the crank at the ground and hang the folded pedal downwards, the crank is no longer in the way of course (to state the blindingly obvious, any other direction will work just as well, as long as crank and folded pedal are pointing the same way).

There seems to be more of a stop on one side of the pedal than the other, so try folding it both sides. On one side, you can gently force the pedal more than 90 degrees if, as above, the crank is out of the way. Then, the spring-loaded cap that locks the unfolded pedal in place can be removed, with its springs. What happened to me of course is that the careless fold forced the pedal backwards, and the cap popped off by accident. Luckily I found both it and its springs.

Behind the cap is a standard-type bearing assembly, though I haven't taken it apart (I was on a station platform trying to get to work!) This just has the usual locknut that should be removable with a socket spanner, I'd think.

Hope this helps. I did also find this on another site.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

on that link there is this;

.....Got in touch with MKS and they were very helpful. They said:

Steps:
1. Please use something like a nail with same or slightly smaller diameter of split pin.
2. Hammer the nail into the split pin on the side WITHOUT the markings “PAT”,”MKS” and ”JAPAN”
3. The pin should easily come out
4. Now disassemble and remove remaining nuts with a socket set

I did this and it worked perfectly. The replacement ball bearings are 5/32"

They even offer reasonably priced replacements for the spindle etc

so there you go...

cheers
drossall

Post by drossall »

I have to say from my experience that I'm not sure I would have had to do that (just remove the locknut and access the bearings as usual), but I linked there because that was there advice.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I see what you mean, but do you think that the pedal is meant to come apart as you describe, or do you think that it might only be possible if your pedals are a bit worn or something?

It seems a bit odd that MKS would tell you to remove the pins etc if this were not really required in order to remove the dustcap, not to mention the increased chances of losing the dustcap when the pedals are folded?

cheers
drossall

Post by drossall »

Not sure. My pedals are less than a year old. When I think I need to service them, I'll investigate further. They don't seem broken or damaged.