1" Threaded Headset with 1" Threadless Fork?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thenorthwind

1" Threaded Headset with 1" Threadless Fork?

Post by thenorthwind »

I have a frame with a sound 1" threaded headset. I'm looking at buying a 1" threadless fork for it. Although I could buy a 1" threadless headset, is there any need? Could I just use the spacers/stem to preload the bearings in the usual way and do away with the locknut? The upper race won't be threaded on to anything, but does it matter?
531colin

Re: 1" Threaded Headset with 1" Threadless Fork?

Post by 531colin »

A threaded adjusting cup (top race cup) won't go on a plain steerer.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thread minor diameter < steerer OD? I did wonder about that. Could fettle the threads off, but seems a shame to waste a perfectly good headset.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

thenorthwind wrote:Thread minor diameter < steerer OD? I did wonder about that. Could fettle the threads off, but seems a shame to waste a perfectly good headset.

Also, a threadless top race has a way of being held square and tight to the steerer, usually a circular wedge. Even if the threaded adjusting cup is deep enough to do that, it would need some skillful lathe work.
However you can (and I have) interchange the bottom race, as a complete unit, obviously.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

You could possibly convert the headset with an M:part adapter http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/6320-mpar ... ter-1-inch
mpart-headset-adapter-1-1-8-inch-silver-4676.jpg
This includes the wedge which is important to centre the bearings. But this converter only works with those headsets that are like modern Shimano/Campag threaded and not the old Record pattern headsets.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Good point about centring the bearings.
Thanks for the tip about the adapter. A new headset wouldn't cost too much more though, so I'll probably go down that route. It's not the end of the world.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Every days a schoolday!