Use of S + S couplings/mudguards/rail travel (in uk)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
QUIST

Use of S + S couplings/mudguards/rail travel (in uk)

Post by QUIST »

Has anyone used a frame fitted with S and S couplings and mudguards and had to split or remove mudguards in orfder that cycle can fit on the very limited space avaialble?

the frame is fitted with 700c x 25 wheels which can be removed easily but i have found that even whith wheels removed the length of the frame meansits hard to fit in easliy

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
mrjemm

Re: Use of S + S couplings/mudguards/rail travel (in uk)

Post by mrjemm »

The only time I've travelled with mine (on a plane)... I didn't split it.

Do you mean into a specific box or bag? I know that there are videos and photo strips of packing coupled bikes away, but doubt with mudguards.

I am not sure the couplings do much but cut a few inches, whilst adding torment. They look nice though. Perhaps mine'll get more use one day...

Edit... Rear mudguards will certainly make the bike longer, and the front ones to some extent. I would imagine removal necessary.
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

I think your reply sums it all up - unless the guards are split as well its of little practical use.

I'm thinking of splitting the guards and then attaching a bracket to the guards to re-assemble them -I think this would be feasible but as ecver with S + S couplings they are very fiddly ( understandly to re-assemble. I wasn't thinking of using a bike box. I'm looking for some freedom
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi There, How about a "Tricycle" coming apart to go in a standard bike bag? It exists, indeed it was used to complete P-B-P ! Very neat, it was made to defeat Arriva Trains Wales. TTFN MM
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I made the back bit of the mudguard come off, to get the bike into a bike bag.... the front bit stays attached to the carrier. Never used it in anger!

RickH

Post by RickH »

I've never needed to dismantle either a solo bike or my tandem to get it on a UK train. And the tandem has been making pretty much weekly train rides since last June plus irregular rail trips before that. Am I missing something?

For boxing for air travel I'd considered (but never got round to) splitting the rear guard so the back part could be pivoted round out of the way.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Slightly off topic (not S&S coupling related), but relevant to reducing bike size & retaining mudguards:
Last year Bicycle Quarterly had a feature about taking bikes on the train in Japan.
Apparently the Japanese public transport system has v. strict rules on bikes; they must be folded up & bagged.
Japanese cyclists using standard (ie non-folding), diamond framed bikes have developed a system called "Rinko".
Link here (scroll down ~halfway for a picture and description.):
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/05/ ... quarterly/

The headset is removed, which rules out loose ballbearing headsets.
To save carrying headset spanners (for bikes with threaded headsets), you can buy headsets with a tube brazed on to the locknut to accept an allen key (not sure if the bearing race has one though.)
MKS make pedals for Rinko cyclists that are quickly removed too.
Some of the steps are visible here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/14614167535/

Takes ~12mins apparently.
Wonder how long it would take this lass?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdWTTSOL62E
:lol:

Best wishes,

Luke