Ultegra compatabilty

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
stecks

Ultegra compatabilty

Post by stecks »

Hi folks

I have a CUBE CX (now with road tyres) which came with an Ultegra 11 speed 11/28 cassette and an SS (short cage) mech. It makes me smile every time I'm on it :D

I need a 12/32 for the hills round here (just returned to road cycling... don't laugh... )

The gurus all say I will also need to change the mech to a GS (medium cage)

Wise men say get the cassette, try the SS mech, and if it doesn't work, then upgrade the mech to GS.

Has anyone done this swap and will the short cage manage the difference please?

Much appreciated

stecks
Des49

Re: Ultegra compatabilty

Post by Des49 »

stecks wrote:Wise men say get the cassette, try the SS mech, and if it doesn't work, then upgrade the mech to GS.

I agree to just try it.

We have a Cube GTC Agree 10 speed for one of my daughters. Ultegra medium mech and this came with a 12-30 cassette.

The mech got a bit of crash damage but is usable. However I got a short cage rear mech while I could as a spare and with a 52-39 front it can just do it when I tested it. Maybe a bigger diff on the front and you will have more issues but I didn't test with the 36 inner.

Normally we run the short mech on a 14-25 cassette and 52-39 front but it works ok for the 12-30.

So even though we are on 10sp and only up to 30T sprocket, give it a go. However the 32T may just stretch things a bit too much plus if you have a smaller inner chainring the short mech may not have enough range to take up all the slack chain when in smaller sprockets.

Otherwise about £40 for a new medium mech.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

36 tooth 10 speed cassette with an XT 9 speed rear mech on my bike. Shadow or normal work fine with Ultegra STI.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Either option and you will need a longer chain.
I should coco.
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

I have the exact same quandary with 11sp 105.
I asked the lbs (Dolans) when I bought it if I'd be able to run a 32t sprocket with a short mech, and got a resounding no. Do you just try anyway!?!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

freeflow wrote:36 tooth 10 speed cassette with an XT 9 speed rear mech on my bike. Shadow or normal work fine with Ultegra STI.

not on 11 speed shifters they won't

Only real issue is if you start to go big ring and bigger sprockets, if you don't tend to cross chain then you might be okay with the SS and possibly even the chain itself. if you end up needing the long cage then you might need a full length chain.
troutmask

Post by troutmask »

Just reverse the little screw that ensures the mech wheels clear the 32 and a longer chain. No need for a longer cage as short cages will have no trouble taking up the very small increase in chain length required. I have used a short Dura Ace with a 32 for years even though Shimano say it is beyond it's max. You only really need longer cages when using a triple on the front with Shimano mechs as long as you do the old trick of reversing the clearence screw.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

not on 11 speed shifters they won't

Ooops. My bad.
willcee

Post by willcee »

WON'T work, i have done this mod on 105, and had to source a new meck, the gs version, no chain issues ,but i don't cross chain at all.. will
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

stecks wrote:I need a 12/32 for the hills round here (just returned to road cycling... don't laugh... )

But those are the gears that Alberto Contador has been known to use.
I should coco.
iow

Post by iow »

stecks wrote:
Has anyone done this swap and will the short cage manage the difference please?

I've done it successfully with a 9 speed ultegra ss mech, which according to shimano spec's, wouldn't work.
I think it will depend on the distance between the dropout and gear hangar.
try it and see is probably the best option.
mark
steve1952

Post by steve1952 »

Yesterday got my EXCELLENT lbs (High Peak Cycles) to swap out an Ultegra 11 speed 11-28 cassette for an 11-32. Short cage di2... With a little tweaking of the b-screw, it works a treat. There are too many variables to make an unequivocal prediction of success but as others have suggested, suck it and see!
willcee

Post by willcee »

well i'm at a loss to understand exactly how you've managed this, i work at this sort of kit on a very regular basis, this case was for my own winter trainer, i did try it with the 30t first and it wasn't really happy, ordered a new gs meck and even then had to set the b screw in a bit farther.. perhaps i have the chain just so, i have in the past had a 29 operate OK on a well used short cage .all my stuff was new with maybe 200 miles on it, so no give anywhere.. would like to see pics if anyone has one of chain up on the 32..will
stecks

Post by stecks »

Thanks folks

I have the 12/32 cassette now and I went for the GS medium length mech. Will fit tomorrow, chain arrived this evening.

Muchos! :wink:
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

stecks wrote:Thanks folks

I have the 12/32 cassette now and I went for the GS medium length mech. Will fit tomorrow, chain arrived this evening.

Muchos! :wink:

sounds like you're not even going to try with the existing short cage and chain and just fit the new kit regardless? it's not as if you're going to do any damage and by trying you gain more knowledge AND potentially save money by not having to buy more components than needed.