mystery part

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: mystery part

Post by 531colin »

Any wear marks on it from a lever pivoting on it, etc?
Pompey Monkey

Post by Pompey Monkey »

531colin wrote:Any wear marks on it from a lever pivoting on it, etc?

My thoughts exactly - It looks so much like a brake lever pivot pin.

But why would it fall out? :?:
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Pompey Monkey wrote:But why would it fall out? :?:

Sod's Law at it's infinitely variable, tantalising best.
Or Murphy's.
willcee

Post by willcee »

, interesting.. i would say its nought to do with the bike at all and may well have been lurking inside whatever type of stem you removed since that machine was built in Taiwan, reminds me of a story concerning the first model Strada AKA Ritmo , FIAT Motor car, a dealer contact of mine in the trade had a story about a discerning Fiat owner who complained to him of a rattle seemingly coming from the dashboard area of his new Strada 1600, after several attempts at a cure he assured the becoming difficult professional owner that Fiat had upped their game and did he not know that these machines were all now built by robots.. owner assured him they did know but the annoyance of this rattle in his wife's vehicle was becoming ridiculous and that he was about to hand it back, Fiat were always known for being miserly with warranty claims especially when faced with a days labour for dismantling a 2 month old car to search for something the dealer had already spent several hours without any joy, the Fiat N Ireland zone manager attended and the tecks stripped the inside front area completely with the zone guy keeping a eye on proceedings.. and found a small white Italian expresso cup swinging behind a steel reinforcing rail behind and deep in the dash board.. obviously the noise now found.. so i guess the Robots enjoyed coffee.. i have found all sorts in cars unrelated to the build, guess you may have discovered unrelated bits in the bike.. will
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree it may well be an unrelated part.

Re the FIAT, (that won 'car of the year', sometimes a kiss of death in itself) I think it was one of the first cars to have the (CAD) body welded by robots. FIAT made much of this at the time, e.g. the 'designed by computers, built by robots, driven by you' strapline in their ads. With each phrase matched to the relevant image, it all seemed jolly new and exciting at the time.... and obviously ripe for satire;

On the 'Not the nine o'clock news' we had 'designed by computers, built by robots, driven by Italians' in which case the final image was one of a scrapyard (then certainly, not easily distinguished from a typical Rome car park, I think).

Elsewhere we had 'built by Roberts' which showed 'normal' human beings (all called Bob, obviously) putting cars together.

One of my relatives (with the keen insight and deep seated cynicism that only comes from a life spent in the motor trade) was prompted to enquire 'which expletive deleted robot is going to stop it from rusting away to nothing then?' And n'er a truer word were spake; I saw one being driven around a few years ago and I remember thinking it was the only one I'd seen in years. At the time it was perhaps 15 years old. I don't think I've seen another one since then. It might have been a good idea to leave any apparently extraneous paper coffee cups in situ; after a time, they could have contributed significant amounts of structural integrity.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

willcee wrote:, interesting.. i would say its nought to do with the bike at all and may well have been lurking inside whatever type of stem you removed since that machine was built in Taiwan, reminds me of a story concerning the first model Strada AKA Ritmo , FIAT Motor car, a dealer contact of mine in the trade had a story about a discerning Fiat owner who complained to him of a rattle seemingly coming from the dashboard area of his new Strada 1600, after several attempts at a cure he assured the becoming difficult professional owner that Fiat had upped their game and did he not know that these machines were all now built by robots.. owner assured him they did know but the annoyance of this rattle in his wife's vehicle was becoming ridiculous and that he was about to hand it back, Fiat were always known for being miserly with warranty claims especially when faced with a days labour for dismantling a 2 month old car to search for something the dealer had already spent several hours without any joy, the Fiat N Ireland zone manager attended and the tecks stripped the inside front area completely with the zone guy keeping a eye on proceedings.. and found a small white Italian expresso cup swinging behind a steel reinforcing rail behind and deep in the dash board.. obviously the noise now found.. so i guess the Robots enjoyed coffee.. i have found all sorts in cars unrelated to the build, guess you may have discovered unrelated bits in the bike.. will

Great story. That made me laugh out loud. Must remember that one.