Servicing after very long storage

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Rustydog

Servicing after very long storage

Post by Rustydog »

I'm bringing a Dawes SG back to life that's been dry stored for 20 years. The bike was brand new in 1995 and has been ridden no more than a few dozen times many years ago. The tyre walls are cracking but everything else seems okay.

Although the wheels/hubs seem to turn smoothly as does the BB, will the grease packing the bearings be okay after such a long period and no use?. The chain is sticky/gummy so that will obviously need sorting. But any ideas or opinions will be much appreciated.
tim-b

Re: Servicing after very long storage

Post by tim-b »

Hi

About 5 years ago I did something similar with a Dawes SG tandem of 1986 vintage. It had been many years since it was last ridden so I stripped it all down, cleaned and regreased.

It was very good in the event, needing only a headset. The rubber brake lever hood covers had disintegrated and the chain lube was very sticky and took some shifting, but maybe the elderly owner had greased it for storage. The tyres/tubes and cables/outers/brake blocks were replaced as precautionary measures
I also took the opportunity to fit separate f and r brake levers and an additional lever for the drag brake

It didn't cost me that much and more importantly I knew that it was good throughout, including whether the frame was rusting internally (it wasn't), etc

Regards
tim-b

PS I've still got the combined original Weinmann lever if anyone's interested
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

This summer I have resurrected a number of old bikes from the eighties and earlier, the grease does seem to dry out and migrate away from where it is needed so I routinely strip and grease bottom brackets, head races and hubs, inner cables are inexpensive, I replace tyres and tubes as needed, that usually gives a bike that rides like it should and does not take long or cost too much.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Rustydog wrote:I'm bringing a Dawes SG back to life that's been dry stored for 20 years. The bike was brand new in 1995 and has been ridden no more than a few dozen times many years ago. The tyre walls are cracking but everything else seems okay.

Although the wheels/hubs seem to turn smoothly as does the BB, will the grease packing the bearings be okay after such a long period and no use?. The chain is sticky/gummy so that will obviously need sorting. But any ideas or opinions will be much appreciated.

Have you tried twiddling the spindles of the wheel hubs with your fingers. Likewise the BB without the cranks. It's the only way to test if they really do run freely. If they stick or feel gritty change the grease and/or buy a new BB. They arent that expensive. Apart from new tyres and maybe some accumulated rust which can be treated I'd think it'll be fine. Happy cycling.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Like StewartH I have renovated several old bikes from the 80s. The grease does seem to dry up and disappear from all the bearings.my advice is dismantlle all bearings and regrease.Tyres and tubes etc you can see snd judge condition.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

This is my bike that I bought in about 1981 or 1982 from my Saturday job money. Cost £200 way back then. I've used it once since I moved down to Sheffield in 1998. Other than that, it's been hung up in my garage.

There's an advanced bicycle maintenance course in Sheffield that runs over six weeks. I may use this bike as a renovation project during this course. But then there's another part of me thinks that I should sell it and put that cash towards a more modern bike. Was a fantastic bike though when I did use it, covered many thousands of miles on it.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

The fat commuter wrote:This is my bike that I bought in about 1981 or 1982 from my Saturday job money. Cost £200 way back then. I've used it once since I moved down to Sheffield in 1998. Other than that, it's been hung up in my garage.

There's an advanced bicycle maintenance course in Sheffield that runs over six weeks. I may use this bike as a renovation project during this course. But then there's another part of me thinks that I should sell it and put that cash towards a more modern bike. Was a fantastic bike though when I did use it, covered many thousands of miles on it.

Why buy 'modern' bike. Unless you want a different material for the frame the only difference will be the furniture. Buy new furniture. The lugs on that frame look beautiful.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

any disused bike can benefit from a good going over. I guess there are three grades of overhaul;

1) pump the tyres up, inspect them for splits, lube the chain and cables, check the gears/ brakes, go ride (carefully!)

2) As above, but with new tyres/tubes, new cables. Use semi-fluid spray grease in unsealed bearings.

3) As above, but strip everything down, clean and regrease properly. Use copper ease on pedal threads, seat pin, handlebar stem, BB parts. Use waxoyl in nooks and crannies that might otherwise start to rust.

In point of fact I have done most of 3) on the very few new bikes that I have ever bought (as well as nearly all the used ones) and when I've done that it has never ever been time not well spent; the result is invariably a better bike to ride and a far more reliable one in the long run too.

BTW I agree, the Raleigh you have there looks like a nice bike. With a few updates it will last for years I expect. I'd refurb it (have someone else check your work if you are not sure) and then ride both it and a new bike (with similar tyres) back-to-back. You might be surprised at how well the Raleigh rides on bumpy roads.

cheers

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have had several new bikes over the years.
But when I refurbish skip bikes they need full attention to all parts (even if the grease is visably new and parts never saw their second day use) except the freehub which is either free and smooth or rough, if smooth nothing to do and if rough (one only from a dozen reclaimed) then it will stay in bag.
The day I ride it its as exciting as a new bike, I have had new M/cycles which I was'nt excited about the night before I picked it up :?
And when I ride a reclaimed bike same satifaction as a new one as a new one does'nt stay new that long.

Beter to spend all day on bike than have it falter when I ride it first.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

The fat commuter wrote:This is my bike that I bought in about 1981 or 1982 from my Saturday job money. Cost £200 way back then. I've used it once since I moved down to Sheffield in 1998. Other than that, it's been hung up in my garage.

It looks like a good sort of bike and I agree with the comment about the lugs. A nice bit of style designed into the frame often was a bit of a boast that the frame was a cut above others. I can see the frame is a race bred sort with quite steep angles. The deep curvy drop bars nicely date it too. I would keep it as a second bike if you really want to get something newer as you probably would not get a lot for it and once it's gone it's gone.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

It's a Raleigh Carlton Competition. Bought it when I was about fourteen or fifteen. Has 531 double butted tubes and forks. I couldn't afford the next model up with tubular tyres so this one has tyres and innertubes. Used to use it when I was in an amateur cycling club as a schoolboy.

According to one of my cousins who lives in Worksop, it's probably one of the last hand made bikes made at the Raleigh factory in Nottinghamshire. Not sure how true that is though.

I did the basic maintenance course earlier this year in Sheffield. There is an advanced course coming up where you strip down and rebuild a bike, your own bike if you wish. I may take this one in and rebuild it.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

The fat commuter wrote:According to one of my cousins who lives in Worksop, it's probably one of the last hand made bikes made at the Raleigh factory in Nottinghamshire. Not sure how true that is though.

Believable. Carltons were definitely made in Worksop and IIRC production stopped around that time. Of course they made quite a lot of bikes every year.
Nice bike though :) +1 for keeping it. Unless they are really special or sold to hipster types 80s bikes tend to go for peanuts :(
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

My experience with a cycle that had been in storage for some time was that in addition to the checks already mentioned the spokes all needed a little tightening.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Carlton my mate had very same bike, my next in late 82/ early 83 was a Koga Miyata, what a dream no more broken spindles or freewheels to tighten and unseize every winter before I could ride to work.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

I had done the same with a 1985 Raleigh Pursuit. It had been in a shed since 1990 and it was advertised as 'just needs a saddle'.
I completely stripped it and cleaned all the bearings, races and everything with WD40. Left the bearings etc in soak over night. I regreased everything, thouroughly cleaned the bike forks and frame with wd40, then t-cut them Mer car polish. The paint work was not too bad. I ended up buying two new alloy wheels, tubes, inner and outer brake and gear cables and bought a saddle and stem for it. It turned out to be a very nice bike and nice to ride.
This is how it was advertised
This is what it finished up like
I polished all the alloy parts, brakes, levers, pedal arms and in total, it ended up costing me £140. I only bought the bike 'needing a saddle' for £20. :?
It is well worth servicing everything on a bike that has not been used for a while.
Good luck on your bike.