Single Speed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Single Speed

Post by reohn2 »

A cautionary to the OP re SS in flatlandia.
Wind.
At some point it'll blow and it'll always be in yer face at some point.
Anyone who rides SS good luck to 'em,gears make sense to maintain optimum cadence,whether that be because of hills(however small) or wind,make no mistake wind can stop you in your tracks if you don't have a gear low enough especially if the terrain is exposed enough :? .
Something to bear in mind.

As for fixed,an acquired taste that that only a small number of people find,well err, tasteful....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Wind.

As for fixed,an acquired taste that that only a small number of people find,well err, tasteful....

I was one of that small number......... but one very windy period when my commute was on a long, flat and exposed road convinced me of the need for more than one gear! ....But I had originally abandoned derailleurs in the winter because of the maintenance faff, gradually worsening gear changes and high cost of replacing all the worn out bits. So I bought a Sturmey Archer hub or two to solve the problem.
I am currently using an AW (3 speed wide ratio) with the middle gear set to what I would choose for a singlespeed, bottom gear is a "bailout" gear and top an overdrive. I ride it very much like a singlespeed most of the time. Replacement cogs are under £3 and a chain typically £4 - £7.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

robc02 wrote:
Wind.

I was one of that small number......... but one very windy period when my commute was on a long, flat and exposed road convinced me of the need for more than one gear! ....But I had originally abandoned derailleurs in the winter because of the maintenance faff, gradually worsening gear changes and high cost of replacing all the worn out bits. So I bought a Sturmey Archer hub or two to solve the problem.
I am currently using an AW (3 speed wide ratio) with the middle gear set to what I would choose for a singlespeed, bottom gear is a "bailout" gear and top an overdrive. I ride it very much like a singlespeed most of the time. Replacement cogs are under £3 and a chain typically £4 - £7.

That's sounds more like reasonable thinking to me :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

I used to have a two speed single speed: two chain rings and two sprockets chosen such that the outer ring + sprocket had the same total number of teeth as the inner ring + sprocket, thus it could be dropped down to an easier gear for long difficult bits.

Downside, of course, is that you have to get off to change gear, but (slightly) less faff than a flip flop, and less drag, weight and cablage than a hub gear. Plus it really confused other people.

As for flatlanders - even if you don't have wind issues (oo-er Mrs), I find that a SS is much more fun in rolling terrain than flat.
andy65

Post by andy65 »

You will also need a chain tensioner. Onone do a low cost kit that includes all you will need for doing a conversion without spending an arm and a leg.
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Borrow one and try it for a few days?

I went back to gears this summer so I could prepare bike (and myself) for a JOGLE trip next year, sold my SS MTB to fund the trip (including the bike for it!)

There is no halfway measure to be had by keeping your bike in the same gear, chain length, chain line and the effort required to run the chain round cogs and through jockey wheels affect pedalling efficiency - I ran Schwalbe M+ on my old Giant Rapid geared road bike and the rear tyre just wore down - same tyre on the back of my On One Pompino ridden same route, same load had chunks taken out the edges of tread blocks and that can only have been done by more power being transmitted by SS

I will go back to SS - maintenance is a doddle, someone else has mentioned how quiet it is

I defected to cycling from running when an old ankle tendon injury meant I had to reduce impact and strain on it - SS is like running but on a bike, its all about rhythm, cadence, digging deep for climbs and accepting that descents are just a chance to sit back
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I bought a £15 mtb to build a singlespeed. You can't beat proper dropouts over a tensioner.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

All weather brakes an no mudguards ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I had no mudguards for a couple of years but bought some silver full length ones a few months ago.

:)