Cycling First Aid Kits

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Derbian

Cycling First Aid Kits

Post by Derbian »

Hi Guys. I am a First Aider in the workplace, and this week on the cycle part of my commute, I assisted another first Aider attending to a cyclist that had taken a tumble. Neither of us had a first aid kit and had make do.

This has got me thinking that I should carry a kit (I might need it myself), but then I got to thinking what should I carry on it?

So the question is, do you carry a first aid kit, and if you do what do you carry in there and why?

Thanks for looking.
using hovercraft full of eels.
tatanab

Re: Cycling First Aid Kits

Post by tatanab »

I too was a work place first aider. I think there are two scenarios. If you want a first aid kit to treat minor cuts and abrasions etc then plasters and so on are fine. Consequently when on tour I carry a small kit for just that, but not on day rides. Why do I carry nothing on day rides? My logic is that a day ride is no different a walk in the country or a stroll to the shops, neither of which would I carry anything. Emergency first aid is a different matter and I recall being told that you can do a lot with a clean handkerchief and a belt or tie.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I've seen a cycling jacket transformed into a sling with a safety pin if that helps at all . As you say , there 's a limit to what you can carry on the "off" chance . :cry:
Si

Post by Si »

I carry one as I need to have it for work so it gets left in the pannier for leisure rides too.
what's in it? Erm, can't remember - I just went through the list from my First Aid course and filled it with what that said.
So far I've only had to use one antiseptic wipe for any of my riders, although I've had to hand out plasters and wipes to people who have come along ready damaged.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The subject has come up before, although it's not easy to find using the forum search engine.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88454

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54653

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90030 :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I don't bother for day rides on the road, but always on mtb and when touring.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

When I think to take anything at all, it's just a part-used roll of electricians tape,a clean cloth/handkerchief.

I once punctured a varicose vein on an uncut mudguard stay - I had nothing other than a hanky - if I'd had the electricians tape to hold the hanky over the hole in the vein, that would have got me home (I think).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

Simple kit from a pound shop, added better plasters and disposable gloves plus a big ambulance dressing. Easily found in the saddlebag. Gloves useful for oily chain handling.
Also mobile phone to call the cavalry.
As a paramedic I could carry a massive kit bag but simple haemorrhage control & positioning to open an airway plus c-spine control are simple interventions.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My impression (from other activities) is that much of the 1st aid contents these days has a surprisingly short "best before date" (something I tend to ignore for my personal home use). So expect to have to replace bits moderately frequently (hopefully anyway as that way means they are not being used and thus people are not in need of it and thus people are not getting injured).

Can be a different matter when work are paying for replacing out-of-date bits than if you are paying yourself. But if you are potentially treating others ...

Ian
nez

Post by nez »

I would add a silver foil blanket. Often people who have been in tumbles suffer from shock and of course cycling clothes might not be enough to keep you warm in those circumstances. It costs and weighs little.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Plasters are OK, but top on my list for a bike kit would be dressings for larger grazes.
Si

Post by Si »

Must be fate. After commenting on this thread I had to use the kit yesterday when one of my group inexplicably launched herself off the bike!
PaulSB

Post by PaulSB »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I would add a silver foil blanket. Often people who have been in tumbles suffer from shock and of course cycling clothes might not be enough to keep you warm in those circumstances. It costs and weighs little.

I always carry a foil blanket. The reason is in case I crash somewhere very remote and get stuck for hours.

This summer I was B&B touring in France. After a 100+ mile day the town I was staying in was full. A special festival with people travelling in from miles around. With nowhere to stay I found a campsite, pitch by a hedge and had a surprisingly good night wrapped in the space blanket!!