Brompton Owners - What emergency kit do you carry?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Brompton Owners - What emergency kit do you carry?

Post by Brucey »

I'm secretly disappointed that no-ne has said that they carry another even smaller folding bike with them in case of emergencies... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Brucey wrote:I'm secretly disappointed that no-ne has said that they carry another even smaller folding bike with them in case of emergencies... :wink:

cheers

With apologies to the Siphonaptera;

Big bikes have little bikes,
Upon their racks to rescue 'em,
And little bikes have smaller bikes,
and so, ad infinitum.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Brucey wrote:I'm secretly disappointed that no-ne has said that they carry another even smaller folding bike with them in case of emergencies... :wink:

cheers

I did *suggest* another brommie - which would fit nicely on the luggage block...

Although at that point you are spending alot of cash...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Who sez we don't...?! ;-)
tiny, emergency Brompton...
tiny, emergency Brompton...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Just a taxi fare!

More importantly, I changed to Marathon Plus tyres a year back. Since then, touch wood, no punctures and no need to use the emergency taxi fare. I now hop on and off my Brommie with no lingering doubts of "what have I forgotten?".
geomannie
drossall

Post by drossall »

Don't think it's any different from any other bike, in that it depends mainly on how far you're riding and what your escape plan is in the event of a puncture.

I've actually bought a 2nd hand Dahon, not that it makes any difference, which I'll use for commuting less than a mile to the station at my end, and a mile at the other. Given that, I wouldn't bother fixing any puncture or serious problem till I got home, so I probably won't carry much kit. At the moment, I'm carrying a multi-tool because I'm fiddling with the brake balancing, but I think it's going to be a strip-down and grease to solve that.

I'll probably get an Oyster card too. It's only one stop, but I could use the Underground to get home after a problem on the way out.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

The same as on any other bike - Allen keys/spanners/screwdrivers to fit all nuts/bolts on the bike, something to put chain back together if it breaks (and a bit of bent wire coathanger to hold the chain together while using it), puncture repair stuff, spare tube, some cable ties, credit card and (since passing 60) bus pass!

Addendum 21 Sept - just been reviewing my kit, forgot to mention the fine-nosed pliers for pulling bits of glass/thorns/shards of metal etc. out of tyres if I do have a puncture, pliers include cutter good enough to trim-off cable ties!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !