Road Tyre advice (cost wise)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

Re: Road Tyre advice (cost wise)

Post by fatboy »

The Zaffiros that came on my Dawes Century punctured really easily. I now have Rubino Pros which are much better.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Brucey wrote:
well it was a rhetorical question I suppose (I have owned a few bikes like that too, but I knew I'd be running them on 23mm tyres and I was OK with it) but as it happens I nipped into Halfords just now and I observed a couple of things;

1) that there was Boardman 'Road Comp' bike in there which has the same tektro calipers as many other budget road bikes, but with the brake blocks in the bottom of the slot front and rear. Supplied with 25mm zaffiros (so 24mm tyres...) there is enough room for genuine 25s and mudguards, maybe tyres measuring 26,27 or 28mm (depending on how tight you want it) and mudguards too. I wouldn't dismiss the notion of fitting 30mm tyres with no mudguards either. The frame is ally and the fork carbon. The components are not great for the money but at least there is some hope. You would have to check for yourself (plus it might vary...) but I'd estimate the clearance above the tyres fitted as being about 13-15mm. IIRC the Cannondale synapse has similar clearances. Shame both are quite stiff ally frames though.

yeah - I saw that too:
2014-07-12 16.55.03.jpg

2014-07-12 16.54.53.jpg

It would have been nice to have that bike to ride, but as it is I am going to be riding the Virtuoso. It is what it is...
sreten

Post by sreten »

Hi,

On my bike the limit is set at the rear by the tyre width not rubbing on the chainstays.

rgds, sreten.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Choosing your tyres depends on what you prefer, ride quality, longevity, puncture protection, speed...

Zaffiro pro at £20 a pair, step up from the bog std ones..I used to use Rubino pros myself a while back but use gatorskins now. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffir ... -twinpack/