Road bike for £1k?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
in4time

Re: Road bike for £1k?

Post by in4time »

Brilliant suggestions, thanks a lot. There is some great value to be had for around £1K. The Ribble, PX and Sensa all have their appeal. Then there's the Domain too. Time for a compare and contrast. :D
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

TrevA wrote:I'm currently riding a Trek Domane 2.0 with Tiagra kit that cost £999. Had it for 18 months and very pleased with it. The main reason I got it was that it's got a triple chainset and a bottom gear of 30 x 30, so that I can haul my 17st self up the Derbyshire hills!

From the original post this is what I was going to recommend. It's a ride all day bike you can attach a rack and mudguards to but it's still racy so if you want to go fast you can do that too.
student

Post by student »

Though I'd still consider either a Rose or a Canyon. THe frame is just one thing, the other componentes (wheels, tyres, seatpost, saddle, handlebar, groupset) will save moore weight :) Though germans only do racy frames, no rack or guard mounts, no clearence for fattier tyres, and low headtube with short wheelbase.. :D
I'm located outside the UK. Never been there, not even considering getting a work there once I have my degree. :)
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Brucey wrote:I must say the PX would be high up on my list too. But the position is a bit low for some folk (unless you can tolerate a longer top tube and go up a size) the gears are not that low and proper mudguards can't be fitted. If they did a slightly different version that addressed these issues (and sold it as a training bike/audax bike or something) at a similar price it would sell like hot cakes I am sure. It is cracking value as it is though.

cheers

That's just an audax bike isn't it?

Surely if it's just for the sunny days when you fancy a quick blast then a pure road bike is a lot of fun? I like(d) riding all day and I also like(d) going for a quick blast, but I wouldn't do both on the same bike.

I'd be choosing the days to use the best bike, and leave the fat tyres, mudguards and relaxed riding style for the all day stuff.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

That's fine if you have the space or funds for two bikes. Would love to!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Trigger wrote:
Brucey wrote:I must say the PX would be high up on my list too. But the position is a bit low for some folk (unless you can tolerate a longer top tube and go up a size) the gears are not that low and proper mudguards can't be fitted. If they did a slightly different version that addressed these issues (and sold it as a training bike/audax bike or something) at a similar price it would sell like hot cakes I am sure. It is cracking value as it is though.

cheers

That's just an audax bike isn't it?

Surely if it's just for the sunny days when you fancy a quick blast then a pure road bike is a lot of fun? I like(d) riding all day and I also like(d) going for a quick blast, but I wouldn't do both on the same bike.

I'd be choosing the days to use the best bike, and leave the fat tyres, mudguards and relaxed riding style for the all day stuff.

I'd say it isn't 'just' anything; it is almost a decent audax bike. It doesn't have to have fat tyres -although it is nice to be able to fit them when you want to- and just because it has mudguards some of the time and you might deign to 'ride it in a relaxed fashion' doesn't mean it isn't your 'best bike', surely..... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mark1978 wrote:That's fine if you have the space or funds for two bikes. Would love to!

Space for two bikes?? - I've got 16 of them , or 20 if you count motorbikes.... :oops:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

haha nice one! Barely got space for the one I've got plus all the crap which goes with it. Even then if I came home with another bike my wife would kick me out lol
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

circa £1000 gets you a lot of bike these days especially if you're prepared to build up your own.
You can get a decent pair of wheels for under £200, Shimano 11 speed 5800 series is £335, that leaves you plenty for a half decent frame & finishing kit if you hunt around.

I'm spending a little more than 1K (though I have wheels, Carbon cranks & finishing kit already) & just dipped my toe with a second string pro teams CF frame/forks ..looks bang tidy and including fork/headset/DA 9000 front derailleur for under £500 posted
It's this, minus the goodies http://www.tredz.co.uk/.KTM-Strada-6000 ... _57220.htm
Coach53seats

Post by Coach53seats »

I have a Giant TCR Alliance Composite to sell. Medium.Black/White. 20 speed. shimano 105 ice grey groupset.
fits adult/youth. 5ft 4in to 6ft. Absolutely brand new condition. 01633 273586 Newport South Wales.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Giant Defy - well made well "specced" - comes in lots of sizes - my local bike shop say they have the least warranty grief with Giant - what's not to like?
in4time

Post by in4time »

This review of four £1k bikes adds to the mix; with the Cube Peleton Race coming out on top, slightly.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/group-te ... 000-115131
ossie

Post by ossie »

Whatever you get you will be pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by ossie on 12 Jul 2015, 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in4time wrote:This review of four £1k bikes adds to the mix; with the Cube Peleton Race coming out on top, slightly.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/group-te ... 000-115131

they actually compared;

a £600 Merida,
a £700 Boardman,
a £920 Fuji (with disc brakes....) and
a £1K Cube.

Interesting, but comparing apples with oranges? No surprise that the cheaper bikes were not as good as the others, but even if the Fuji had not had disc brakes the ~10% more expensive Cube ought to have been 'better value' as a road bike.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hackfall

Post by Hackfall »

if i had £1k I'd consider saving a little longer and push it to a few hundred quid more to something like this:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3239

Frame will be very very good, really light, and some good low gears.