BBC Scotland documentary- David Smith, Mont Ventoux

rualexander

BBC Scotland documentary- David Smith, Mont Ventoux

Post by rualexander »

For those who don't get BBC 2 Scotland, there was a good documentary on last night about Paralympian David Smith, and his efforts to come back from spinal tumour surgery, culminating in riding up Mont Ventoux three times in one day.
Available on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... an-cycling
timdownieuk

Re: BBC Scotland documentary- David Smith, Mont Ventoux

Post by timdownieuk »

A terrible program. [1] Before it, I would have been happy with one ascent of Ventoux. Now I realise that I *have* to do all three ascent routes in one day. ;-)

Utterly astonishing achievements considering what he's been through, and a very uncertain future to look forward to.

Tim

[1] An amazing story. Do watch it,
hondated

Post by hondated »

rualexander wrote:For those who don't get BBC 2 Scotland, there was a good documentary on last night about Paralympian David Smith, and his efforts to come back from spinal tumour surgery, culminating in riding up Mont Ventoux three times in one day.
Available on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... an-cycling

What a brilliant programme and an incredible young man as well.

This is yet another programme on the BBC that deserves to be broadcast nation wide as it depicts the struggles of a young cyclist who could have come from anywhere but just happens to come from Scotland.
I urge anyone that as not watched it to do so because it demonstrates how you can overcome many difficulties just by being focused on your goal.
TrekMad

Post by TrekMad »

I.rode up the Ventoux in my twenties, it was horrific. Like a wall in front of you that just goes on for hours ! It took us over two and a half hours to summit. Hats off to the lad.
jonbonsilver

Post by jonbonsilver »

Thanks for the share however it does not seem to be available on iplayer anymore? Do you know where i can find it?
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Brilliant programme !
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TrekMad wrote:I.rode up the Ventoux in my twenties, it was horrific. Like a wall in front of you that just goes on for hours ! It took us over two and a half hours to summit. Hats off to the lad.
Has anyone got a GPS track of the route up Ventoux?

Personally, I ain't got a clue where it is! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Has anyone got a GPS track of the route up Ventoux?

Personally, I ain't got a clue where it is! :oops:

No track from me but http://osm.org/go/xV7xBao--?layers=C&m= shows the three ascents quite well. The one from the westish is from Malaucène, the one from the south-east is from Sault and the one that joins that from the west is from Bédoin. Zoom out to see its general location north-east of Avignon and notice how most cycle routes avoid the whole area :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks!
I'm going to study this ..........................
Mick F. Cornwall
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I rode this route with my wife in1999. From wikipedia description is
South from Bédoin: 1617 m over 21,8 km. This is the most famous and difficult ascent. The road to the summit has an average gradient of 7.43%. Until Saint-Estève, the climb is easy: 3.9% over 5,8 km, but the 16 remaining kilometres have an average gradient of 8.9%. To serve as a comparison the climb of L'Alpe d'Huez is about 13.8 km at an average gradient of 7.9%. The last kilometres may have strong, violent winds. The ride takes 1h30m-2h30m for trained amateur riders. Professional riders take 1h-1h15 min. The fastest time so far recorded has been that of Iban Mayo in the individual climbing time trial of the 2004 Dauphiné Libéré: 55' 51". The time was measured from Bédoin for the first time in the 1958 Tour de France, in which Charly Gaul was the fastest at 1h 2' 9".
We rode on a good day,it is long but not overly steep, my wife would admit she is not a strong cyclist she rode allbeit slowly.

mum%2520on%2520Mont%2520Ventoux.jpg
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

Fantastic thanks, would have totally missed this
edit: just seen the broadcast date, have totally missed this!
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Mick F wrote:Thanks!
I'm going to study this ..........................

One for the chopper with a trailer ?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol:
Hey, the idea is a good one!

Actually, I've given the ride a bit of thought, but how do I get there?
Maybe a holiday to France etc with Mrs Mick F and my Mercian in a box on a flight? Maybe drive there instead?

Dunno yet, but I like the idea of riding up there and back, though it seems like a waste to go all the way there just for a single day's ride.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Actually, I've given the ride a bit of thought, but how do I get there?
Maybe a holiday to France etc with Mrs Mick F and my Mercian in a box on a flight?

Couldn't Mrs Mick F have a seat?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol:
Yeah,
I suppose she could have a seat next to Mercian. I'll sit in the box.
Mick F. Cornwall