Recovery time when getting older

RodWatts

Recovery time when getting older

Post by RodWatts »

A long ride nowadays (I'm 67) leaves me quite tired for several days afterwards.
I know it's all part of getting older but I still don't like it and to a great extent neither does my wife.
Anyone got any ideas on improving/ speeding up the recovery time?
The call of the open road is strong..
Rod
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Recovery time when getting older

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am 57 and for some reason 60 looming makes me think I am now in my twilight years, but I don't want to give up just now.
Still too much to achieve on the bike.
I am feeling stiff and tired too, some of its the weather, but if you discovery what helps please tell us.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

RodWatts wrote:A long ride nowadays (I'm 67) leaves me quite tired for several days afterwards..........
Anyone got any ideas on improving/ speeding up the recovery time? ..........
Rod

If you are tired for a few days after your ride, you did too much for your level of fitness on the day.
As you get older you must increase mileage or frequency of rides to maintain fitness.
.....Or retire from "mile-eating". .....
There are other pleasures.....birds, trees, flowers.....finding minor roads and bridle paths near home that you have overlooked.....
Do you ride with a group?
Organise some rides where you drive out and park, or get a train out and ride back. Last summer, I introduced some local people to Swaledale by the simple expedient of driving out and parking at Reeth.....some world-travelers were impressed by the scenery just over the hill from home...... :wink:
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

mate of mine swears by casein recovery drinks just before bed on days he's been riding. He's mid 60s. May be of use but doubtful if you're already on a high protein diet.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

If you haven't had a medical recently I'd suggest a visit to your Dr just as a precaution.
Milk is a pretty good post-ride recovery food.
I'd think you probably need to be doing at least three rides a week to maintain fitness.
Try, after a big ride do a short easy ride the next day, followed by a rest day and then another short ride. Might help.
Cheers
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If this is a change, I would see the GP.

Otherwise, what Colin said. Lower mileage more often is probably the answer. If you want to do longer rides, build up to them, rather than nothing for a week, then a long ride.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ray

Post by Ray »

There's no dodging the fact that we need longer to recover as we get older but, as others have indicated, there's more to it than that.

When we were younger most of us were more active overall, going out to work, looking after kids (often a high-energy activity), keeping up with pals etc. Once we retire there are far fewer demands on our time and energy, and our total amount of exercise may decline considerably. Furthermore, our cycling tends to be done at a more leisurely pace, tootling to the cafe with our mates (and why not?) rather than a rapid commute, or an hour's dash round the block after tea. So, comparing ourselves with what we remember from some years ago can be misleading. It seems to me the difference has as much to do with different lifestyles as with our increased age.

You may need to think not only about how often you ride, but the level of intensity. There's a lot of evidence that both these factors are vital; see Joe Friel if you're sufficiently interested. So, you may want to get your doctor to check you over, and then try to get out, say, three times each week and push it a bit on the hills. Seems to work for me, and I'm quite a bit older than you.

Have fun!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've not noticed recovery changes after a ride as I only started cycling again a couple of years ago (so have no "when I was younger" to compare with).

However, I have noticed that bruises, strains, pulled muscles, etc. all seem to take a lot longer to recover from than when I was younger. And a lot easier to re-injure re-pull, etc. Used to pull/bash/whatever some body part and then ignore it and carry on as usual. Mentally I do the same (refusal to acknowledge ageing changes) so I end-up re-pulling and worsening whatever it was to the point where I have to rest or allow recovery - which then seems to take forever and have a much larger impact on my life.

Ian
Fudger

Post by Fudger »

If you like riding the miles, what about a pedal assist bike. I know people say it's cheating but it's not. If you want to tour and find it knocks the wind out of you. What better way of easing the miles. A good bike will allow you to select the amount of assistance you want.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Drinka pinta milk. You will recover quickly. I am 73 and I dont ever suffer like this?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
whoof

Post by whoof »

There are a number of things you can consider.

Post ride as other have said a protein recovery drink can be good. A study showed that a chocolate milk shake was very much the same effect as a branded recovery drink. For maximum effect you should have this within 20 minutes of the end of your ride. Have a soak in the bath rather than a shower, perhaps your wife could massage your legs. Eat a good meal. Make sure you do rest rather than other activities, if it's a nice day it can be tempting to do stuff in the garden etc. Get a good nights sleep; alcohol, caffine and sitting up late watching TV can affect your sleep. Do you do any stretching?

On your ride pick your routes. On a long ride see if you can avoid too many hills and 'gear-down' on the ones you do this will help you recover quicker. If it's still hard work in your lowest gear consider getting lower gears. The same for the windy conditions. If you can pick a route that winds through the lanes on the way out into a head wind and is more open on the way back. Make sure you eat and drink enough on your ride. On the last few miles of your ride ease back and spin a light gear. The day after a long ride a very short and very easy few miles on your bike can help you recover better than doing nothing.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

What is a long ride? You do not mention distance. A long ride could mean anything. Too much is tiring but this varies enormously from person to person.
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

I am principally a cycle tourist and last year I met a 75 year old Irishman in Fougeres who had cycled from Cork alone. He was 4 weeks into a 16 week tour of Europe camping with full panniers etc. He rode for one day then had to rest for two days. He could not stand still for more than 10 mins due to leg problems and had to walk up most hills. He knew this before he left To me he was one of the most inspiring people I have met on a bike .

At 65 if I do a fairly flat 100k Audax or steady tour 100k in a day I have no problems . But if I ride out with the pensioners division of my local club usually a 50 mile trip it takes me a week to recover due to some sort of strain in trying to keep up . I do this once every 8 months thinking I have improved considerably since last time . I also find it hard work riding into the wind of which there has been plenty. Usually after a long ride I eat well straight away then have a hot bath followed by a bit of stretching this allways helps recovery.

Hope my experience helps Peter
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

al_yrpal wrote:Drinka pinta milk. You will recover quickly. I am 73 and I dont ever suffer like this?

Al

Respect! I'm a virtual youngster at 42 and have a physical job and enjoy my cycling. A few years ago I started regular work for a retired dairy farmer and cyclist. He is the one who also recommended milk. I haven't looked back since and don't spend silly money on these sports products. On top of the 8 pints for coffee/tea/cereal/kids etc I get 5 single pints of which I take one to work each day. No headaches, no hunger pains and I feel pretty energetic most days. Milk is good.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Heltor Chasca wrote:[I get 5 single pints of which I take one to work each day. No headaches, no hunger pai.

Full fat, semi or skimmed?