Knees

landsurfer

Knees

Post by landsurfer »

Really worried about my knees...
6' 3", 100 kg, (28kg weight loss since February 2014) 57 years old... Monthly Sportive's and 80 - 100 miles a week ride.

My knees are hurting..

I ride 3 different bikes and the seat surface to pedal upper surface distance is the same ...
Experimented with different seat heights without any improvement.
The pain is 3/10 and can be masked with anti-inflammatories and pain killers.
History, leg, arm, skull and spinal fractures x2 cause no chronic pain issues.
The knees are the worry ...
I don't want it getting any worse ...
Can anyone in the Rotherham / Sheffield area recommend a physio with a cycling bias who can help ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Knees

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Get hold of a copy of Knee Health by Valerie Grisogno. Cycling develops some muscles more than others and the resulting imbalances can cause problems. The book has various exercises which I have found a huge help.

You could also consider using shorter cranks and gearing down a little, to encourage spinning with less pressure.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

thanks to both of you. I have been riding lower gears for some time now, all of my bikes have a 42 tooth front sprocket with a 14 - 28 rear. I would rather spin than push a big gear.
Be more Mike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I have unbreakable knees :)
But a problem a few years ago left me with the dread that at mid fifty's my time was up.
But no I eventually traced it to my shoes.
Steve Hogg infers this (that's your feet), and I would bet my last dime that this is the main reason most suffer knee problems with cycling.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have a slight concern over my right knee. It sometimes gives a twinge when I start off (note, I usually push off with the right foot first), but once I get going, it's no more trouble unless I get to a steep hill (which I'd be more likely to walk, these days.... :oops: ). I suspect it may be the beginnings of arthritis for me, and not a lot I can do. I have no 'history' but I have been overweight for some years.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

landsurfer wrote:thanks to both of you. I have been riding lower gears for some time now, all of my bikes have a 42 tooth front sprocket with a 14 - 28 rear. I would rather spin than push a big gear.

Doesn't sound like low gearing to me, unless you live somewhere with no hills.
Best thing to do is go and see a sports physio.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Could it be pedal type. I usually ride spd/look type pedals but I have been at our caravan the last 4 weeks and the bike I keep there has toe straps. My SPD pedals are set loose to allow my foot to find it's own best position but with toe straps and MKS Sylvan pedals my foot has less freedom to move?
Be more Mike.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have toe straps but I keep them loose all the time, so my feet can freely twist side to side. They're really only there to control fore-and-aft positioning of the foot. To be honest, one of the reasons I resist the idea of SPDs is that my feet might be too rigidly 'fixed' pointing in one direction, and that might exacerbate the knee problem. If Look pedals allow side-to-side rotation, up to a point, this might help a bit.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Followed the advice on the Steve Hogg site with regard to seat height and cleat position. Combined that with a lower gear selection, 38 tooth chainwheel, and rode 48 painless miles this morning. Off for a 28 mile hilly circuit in the morning to see how the new positioning stands up.
At least now i am working in a positive direction.
Thanks for the assistance.
Be more Mike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
landsurfer wrote:Followed the advice on the Steve Hogg site with regard to seat height and cleat position. Combined that with a lower gear selection, 38 tooth chainwheel, and rode 48 painless miles this morning. Off for a 28 mile hilly circuit in the morning to see how the new positioning stands up.
At least now i am working in a positive direction.
Thanks for the assistance.

It might take some time even weeks before all the niggles go and there will always be an odd twinge but not disabling.
You don't say if its one bike or the other, if you narrow down what bike works best then you need same shoes, pedals, "Q" factor, saddle + height set back etc. top half of the bike set up is just for performance and top half comfort.

Glad you see an improvement.
Cold, numb, hot foot, tight shoes or over thick socks will mask good foot dynamics and feedback to the nervous system.
The ultimate test is to push hard for a few hours, if that's fine or comes to be then your made.

You might even notice that one foot is cold or numb and the same knee will twinge.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Didn't do my hilly ride as when I woke up both knees where "hot" ...
Took a naproxen anti - inflammatory and both knees fine by lunchtime ...
Convinced that this has come about by riding my bike I keep in Redruth for the previous 4 weeks.
It has toe- clips which do not allow the amount of free movement that my SPD or LOOK pedals do ... ....
Be more Mike.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

As wel as height, did you check if saddle needs to move back or forwards. Have you tried getting a second opinion on bike it before spending on physio sessions
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Good point. The man at my lbs is a helpful font of knowledge .. I'll have a word..
Be more Mike.
David881

Post by David881 »

landsurfer wrote:Really worried about my knees...
6' 3", 100 kg, (28kg weight loss since February 2014) 57 years old... Monthly Sportive's and 80 - 100 miles a week ride.

My knees are hurting..

I ride 3 different bikes and the seat surface to pedal upper surface distance is the same ...
Experimented with different seat heights without any improvement.
The pain is 3/10 and can be masked with anti-inflammatories and pain killers.
History, leg, arm, skull and spinal fractures x2 cause no chronic pain issues.
The knees are the worry ...
I don't want it getting any worse ...
Can anyone in the Rotherham / Sheffield area recommend a physio with a cycling bias who can help ..

Go and see a doctor