Monitoring Body Temperature

mnichols

Monitoring Body Temperature

Post by mnichols »

I will be cycling across America in the summer with friends including a few days in Death Valley and we are a little concerned about heat stroke

Does anyone know of a practical and cheap way of monitoring body temperature, or have tips for cycling in extreme heat?
Psamathe

Re: Monitoring Body Temperature

Post by Psamathe »

Can't talk about cycling, but the one time I got heat stroke the symptom I noticed was that I had stopped sweating. The challenge (for me) was what to do about it. Should probably have seen warning signs earlier but I didn't and when I did notice I was some way away from "civilisation" (in the desert). It was worrying as earlier that day I'd seen somebody in the village suffering and on a stretcher (heat again). And I was only walking (so reducing activity was not a massive improvement).

So maybe plan as to what you would do about it should somebody start to suffer (as symptoms can come on pretty quickly when you are physically active).

(But I'm no expert so can only comment NOT advise).

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, if you stop sweating you have a problem because it is your body's cooling mechanism shutting down. I recommend you get some basic first aid literature, which should cover this topic.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

All of the above, plus keep your salt levels topped up. It's important to eat water rich foods in very hot extremes as well as lots of fluids. I've trekked across the Moab before in Morocco and that was very hot. I felt the first signs of heat stroke: slight loss of coordination, blurred vision but was able to correct it by drinking and jumping into the nearest stream!!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you are looking at a potential tech option then you can buy the basis peak activity tracker which measures skin moisture/perspiration levels and skin temperature. Never been sure how effective or how useful that function could be but I suppose it might give you an idea if you see the skin temp rising or the moisture levels dropping, perhaps earlier than you actually spotting those signs.

Now that is not what I would use alone but as an extra tool in keeping safe it could add to First Aid knowledge in spotting symptoms early. There is no alternative to knowledge and experience of course but tools are tools and this tracker could be a tool worth having as a backup. IIRC heat stroke . exhaustion can result in the person getting confused or perhaps lack of judgement before it becomes truly serious.

PS have suffered effects of heat once only so not really sure of symptoms. Now hypothermia is something I have had the early stages of enough times to spot symptoms. In some ways I guess there is a link in that your temperature control system starts to shut down and I am guessing that messes your brain's function too giving loss in coordination and judgement just like hypothermia.

Also bear in mind people make this trip each year perfectly safely so learn how to keep safe and take care.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks All

As we will be travelling in a group we will look after each other and watch for symptoms

We have also put one person in charge to make sure that we each take adequate drink and other precautions
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've worked in the desert in hot conditions, and we were always told not to drink sugary drinks, like sports drinks, as this can make you lose more body fluid, but to drink water (not too cold) and add electrolyte drops or tablets to every third or fourth drink. They also said, at least one pint per hour. That's an American pint (16 fluid ounces or about 1/2 litre) of water per hour, when exerting yourself. That's a rule of thumb, and an individual may need twice as much as that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks Vorpoal that's very helpful
beardy

Post by beardy »

RogerThat wrote:All of the above, plus keep your salt levels topped up. It's important to eat water rich foods in very hot extremes as well as lots of fluids. I've trekked across the Moab before in Morocco and that was very hot. I felt the first signs of heat stroke: slight loss of coordination, blurred vision but was able to correct it by drinking and jumping into the nearest stream!!

Whenever you have access to water, soak your clothes especially your hat. In Australia we went into the creek fully dressed between work sessions. For some reason the British seem reticent to get wet, even when they are suffering from extreme heat.