How To Lose Weight

RogerThat

Re: How To Lose Weight

Post by RogerThat »

If you replaced your current breakfast with a healthier lo cal breakfast of say, omelette, scrambled eggs, porridge or a yogurt and fruit base then you'd be on an immediate caloric deficit of 300 cals a day. Doesn't sound like much, but over a week that's 2100 cals, which in weight loss terms could be 1/2-3/4 of a pound a week. Over a year...

I recommended to my 5+2 patients one of the above for breakfast and a fast all day (drinking lots of fluids, water, tea, coffee ect) till dinnertime when they have their main meal of a large plate of healthy food. This stops a lot of 'cheating' and really delivers results.

Of course they only have to follow the above regime two days a week, which for most people is no hardship. The rest of the week they can eat normally (within reason!) and still lose 1-2.5lbs per week.

Current trials at UCLA are coming to the same conclusion as the previous trials in animal testing of the diet, namely:

Living longer

Reducing the risk of heart disease, stroke and cancer

Improving cholesterol levels and blood-sugar control, and the anti-ageing effects thanks to its possible effect on lowering levels of the hormone Insulin-like Growth Factor -1 (IGF-1)

This is an excellent 5+2 recipe website:

http://the5-2dietbook.com/food/

As per guidelines, if you have any underlying health issues its best to consult your GP before undertaking any diet or exercise regime.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

All great advice, the Pain au Chocolat has already gone but the cereal bar has remained for now. I'll see if I can replace that with eggs, I shall certainly try that tomorrow morning knowing I've got more time to get it wrong ;o)

Anyone got a good recipe?

As for the short term long term thing. My long term goal has been, for over a year, to get to 12 stones and stay below it - My original goal of getting to 11 stone was quickly abandoned! But stuff has always intervened which means I'm hovering at more like 13 stones instead.

What I want to do at the moment is get to 12 stones, just for the fact of getting there, staying there is a different matter but I want to get to my goal weight first.

One of my issues is that whenever it's healthy food the response is always 'salad', well, I can't stand salad, it's bloody awful, not matter how many times I've tried it, I hate it!
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

If you take a look at the website above there are dozens of recipes under 400 cals which don't involve any salad!!

If you don't have any time to make an omelette in the mornings, a boiled egg made the night before will do just as good.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I've never had a "weight problem" so I cannot appreciate the problems others are having. I think one problem with eating less maybe that you do not feel "full up" and that's why "dieting" fails. Eating more bulky foods which are not high in calories eg vegetables, vegetable soup, lentils, porridge, brown/wholemeal bread maybe one way of overcoming this - doesn't have to be salad. An egg is fine but not exactly filling; a bowl of porridge is.

Overweight people in WWII were very rare, which indicates there is a relationship between weight and food intake. We're probably all eating too much now - even the thin ones. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

There's an interesting piece of research carried out after the great depression in the 20's. You might have expected that as food became scarce and expensive as a resource that life expectancy would go down. The opposite happened, life expectancy increased on average by about 11%. People were living in an enforced fast regime, where from day to day you might not be able to expect a full meal. Compare this to the present day UK, where in parts of the country the life expectancy is actually lower than Aids rife African countries like Mali and South Africa.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... ive-longer
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

MikeF wrote:I've never had a "weight problem" so I cannot appreciate the problems others are having. I think one problem with eating less maybe that you do not feel "full up" and that's why "dieting" fails. Eating more bulky foods which are not high in calories eg vegetables, vegetable soup, lentils, porridge, brown/wholemeal bread maybe one way of overcoming this - doesn't have to be salad. An egg is fine but not exactly filling; a bowl of porridge is.

Overweight people in WWII were very rare, which indicates there is a relationship between weight and food intake. We're probably all eating too much now - even the thin ones. :wink:

You are one of the lucky Ectomorphic body shapes, who's tendencies are to stay thin and rarely have problems with weight gain . That's a genetic advantage, as most of the people I see are Endomorphic, ie they have a tendency to put on weight around the middle. That's a large percentage of the UK population, for whom ordinary caloric deficit dieting on its own is ineffective. Genes play a huge part in being able to control ones weight, the was a realistic, and budgeted plan 18 months ago to enable 4 million people to have gastric band surgery, in order to fend off the all too real prospect of an effectively over run NHS. The projected budget saving was over 15 billion pounds. Thankfully it's been put on the back burner.

One thing is for sure though, the UK government are going to have to get serious about the state of health and obesity in the next 24 months, unless we're content to live with an NHS which cannot provide a service at point of need for free.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

RogerThat wrote:You are one of the lucky Ectomorphic body shapes, who's tendencies are to stay thin and rarely have problems with weight gain . That's a genetic advantage, as most of the people I see are Endomorphic, ie they have a tendency to put on weight around the middle. That's a large percentage of the UK population, for whom ordinary caloric deficit dieting on its own is ineffective. Genes play a huge part in being able to control ones weight, the was a realistic, and budgeted plan 18 months ago to enable 4 million people to have gastric band surgery, in order to fend off the all too real prospect of an effectively over run NHS. The projected budget saving was over 15 billion pounds. Thankfully it's been put on the back burner.

Much like my old boss, who seems to eat takeaways most nights of the week. Yet is always a skinny rake!

I've lost 3.5lbs this week, which is a bit of a result!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mark1978 wrote:All great advice, the Pain au Chocolat has already gone but the cereal bar has remained for now. I'll see if I can replace that with eggs, I shall certainly try that tomorrow morning knowing I've got more time to get it wrong ;o)

Anyone got a good recipe?
If by that you mean, a good recipe for eggs - that's a 'how long is a piece of string?' sort of question! There are a thousand different ways of cooking an egg. Which reminds me - having said that, I think maybe you should give thousand-year-old-eggs the miss! :lol:

For me, you can't beat a decent omelette. My own formula usually includes mushroom, onion and cheese. Exact quantities vary from one omelette to the next, depending on the mood I'm in. I fry the onion (cut into rings) and mushrooms first on their own, in a little oil. While they're frying, I lightly beat a couple of eggs with a little grated cheese, mixed herbs, seasoning and (optional) a pinch of mustard or paprika. Don't go mad with the whisk - just a quick turn with a fork is enough. Then tip out the onions and mushrooms onto a sheet of kitchen paper (to soak up the excess oil), pour the egg in the same frying pan (without adding any more oil), and spread the onions and mushrooms on top. As the omelette cooks, keep on lifting an edge, tip the frying pan and let the unset mixture pour into the space uncovered, until the omelette is set all across (but not overcooked or leathery!). Serve folded in half.

Trouble is, nothing complements a well-made omelette better than salad, but you say you don't like salad! I'm wondering, (wearing my missionary hat) whether there's anything in the salad line that you could bring yourself to try? Again, there are salads and salads! The other day I made a sort of vegetarian sambal that counts as a salad I suppose: it's delicious (though I make it very hot!). This consists of a carrot, half a red pepper, crushed garlic clove, a teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds, 2 tsp vinegar, a chopped chilli (seeds in* or seeds out as per your preference), ½ tsp sugar**, and seasoning, all thrown in the food processor and spun around to make a chopped relish, not too smooth. It's very colourful too. Not so sure whether it goes with an omelette.

*If you leave the chilli seeds in it will be really hot!
**yes I know there oughtn't to be any sugar! ½ tsp isn't much.

Anyway, good luck with your weight management!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

RogerThat wrote:You are one of the lucky Ectomorphic body shapes, who's tendencies are to stay thin and rarely have problems with weight gain . That's a genetic advantage, as most of the people I see are Endomorphic, ie they have a tendency to put on weight around the middle. That's a large percentage of the UK population, for whom ordinary caloric deficit dieting on its own is ineffective. Genes play a huge part in being able to control ones weight, the was a realistic, and budgeted plan 18 months ago to enable 4 million people to have gastric band surgery, in order to fend off the all too real prospect of an effectively over run NHS. The projected budget saving was over 15 billion pounds. Thankfully it's been put on the back burner.

One thing is for sure though, the UK government are going to have to get serious about the state of health and obesity in the next 24 months, unless we're content to live with an NHS which cannot provide a service at point of need for free.

Well maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, although I take tablets for high blood pressure, so not so lucky in that respect. However I'm incredulous at just how much some people eat - I simply couldn't eat (physically) what some do - so I think ectomorphic and endomorphic is an over simplification. Should it be us who are "going have to get serious about the state of health and obesity in the next 24 months" and not the Government? :wink:
I don't peddle bikes.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I completely agree!!! If you're not willing to get serious about your own health then your really can't expect anyone else to intervene! So glad you have the determination to change your own circumstance. I have a few ex heart bypass surgery patients who are 100% determined to take control of their own health and weight management and it's a real bolster to my own pigging philosophy of autonomy and self reliance which should kick in after 'professional intervention/.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Interesting programme on Beeb about calories. Watchable on iPlayer for those that missed it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05nhyt8/the-truth-about-2-calories Examples as well on how to make meals that have fewer calories, but still make the eater feel "full".
I don't peddle bikes.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

I never did understand why 'Breakfast' has to be the standard 'eggs, toast etc'

Rather have a proper meal in the morning which keeps me ticking over till i get home.
There's a whole world of fruit and veg out there, people really need to expand there minds
and not be so dogmatic on what time of day to eat certain foods
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You will find that exercise even in a manual job will dictate when you eat.
But habit can also do that, spent years rushing to work on my bike with no time for a wash either :?
So even when I was camping and walking I couldn't face much for a few hours on waking.
That all changed when I woke up in hospital and they forced your breaky down you with tea staff scowling if you didn't at 06.30 :shock:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

I've given the MyFitnessPal app a try this week, just out of curiosity as I'm quite athletically built so not looking to lose weight really.

I think for someone who's largely sedentary it's handy as recording calories consumed is really easy, I haven't found a packaged food it doesn't recognise yet! For someone who's generally quite active, it's difficult to accurately record calories burnt through exercise, I managed to link it to MapMyRide so I could record my commute easily but I have an active job with no means of recording the calories I burn throughout the day. That's where it fell down as I found I was running out of calories before I'd even had my evening meal! I persevered anyway and controlled what I was eating through the day to make sure I had something left for the evening, the result was I became even more grumpy than usual almost immediately and actually 'hit the wall' on the ride home one evening.

I think MyFitnessPal is a useful tool and can provide an interesting insight into peoples diets but it's not suitable for everyone. The most useful element for me was having my meals and snacks laid out in front of me with some shocking numbers in some strange places, I will eat slightly differently as a result of this.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

MikeF wrote:Interesting programme on Beeb about calories. Watchable on iPlayer for those that missed it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05nhyt8/the-truth-about-2-calories Examples as well on how to make meals that have fewer calories, but still make the eater feel "full".

I watched that programme. I have to say, the message apparently contained in the most controversial part of the programme, I found absolutely appalling. OK, well, perhaps 'appalling' is too strong a word, but certainly 'disquieting'.

For those who didn't watch it and don't want to sit through it on iplayer, the controversial bit centred around three families. Each of them was fed the same, high-calorie, full-English breakfast; and then each was instructed to spend the morning doing different things. One family was sent on a strenuous workout at the gym. The second was told to do normal housework, with modest exercise in the process. The third family was told to remain completely sedentary, playing computer games on the sofa.

At the end of the test it was revealed that the sedentary family, the adult male of the family in particular, had burned off almost as many calories as his opposite number who went to the gym. The winner, by a short head, in the calorie-burning stakes, was apparently the guy who did a morning's housework.

So does this give out the message that, if you want to control your calories, there's no need to exercise? I hope not too many viewers interpreted it that way. But I certainly agree with the proposition that exercise does not need to be strenuous for you to stay fit. Certainly I have never visited a gym in my adult life (school PT lessons put me off that for life)! And it's quite a few years since I last cycled up Ditchling Beacon, and I have no plans to do it any time in the future. Nevertheless, I do go out cycling...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).