HIIT / interval training

Return-to

HIIT / interval training

Post by Return-to »

Hi all,
First post so be kind....please :D
After years of running marathons my knees are now shot to **** and I've decided to call it a day on pounding the roads.
Have taken to cycling and have to admit I'm LOVING it.
Just getting back on track after the last injury lay off and subsequent weight gain and I'm looking for help.....
Does anyone do some kind of HIIT sessions as part of their training ? If so what and how ?
Any time I've looked on line it keeps referring to actual rpm/spin sessions on a stationary bike. That's the type of thing I'm looking for but on a road bike.
May sound daft - but I'm just looking for some ideas around structure I suppose.

Thanks in advance.
Vorpal

Re: HIIT / interval training

Post by Vorpal »

Join a club and try time trialling? Or a chain gang?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The number of ex runners I meet with destroyed knees!
Join the CTC and try a few rides with your local group, you will find details on the CTC web site. There is generally a group that does a shortish ride of 15 to 25 miles on a Sunday morning. You can go with them without joining first for a few times. That will get you into the cycling scene and you will be able to chat with other cyclists regarding your needs. Cycling neednt be a solitary activity like running.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I've got my cousin on a HIIT programme as he's in the same boat as you, as an ex road runner!

It's quite simple - 4x reps of next to flat out for 40 seconds each with a 1 minute recovery. Luckily he has a fairly straight 1000m road in a country park nearby which has virtually zero traffic. He's been training 3 sessions a week for 5 weeks now, lost 8lbs and resting pulse come down from 70bpm to 54bpm, which is pretty impressive for such a short training window in terms of time (on the bike) and five weeks. Next week he's stepping up to 6x reps of 30 secs each but with a pulse monitor so he can really get on the limit :) It's a good idea to see your doctor first if you have any underlying medical issues, but almost anyone can benefit from high intensity work outs, within reason!