How To Lose Weight

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: How To Lose Weight

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mark1978 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Just weigh yourself same time every day like after you get up or a little later like after the bathroom.
Its easy to sweat a kilo over night and put on 2 kgs through the day.

I've been weighing myself at the exact same time every Monday morning. Monday because it's easier to remember on a Monday, and that I'm in exactly the same point in the week every time. I figure that checking every day I'd end up getting put off by natural fluctuations which should even themselves out over a week or so.

When I was seriously trying to lose weight, I did weigh myself every morning.
If you see a general loss then it will spur you on to keep to it.
Might be also that you put on over the weekend :?:
I think to lose half a kilo a week is ok, that's a Ib a week which after a season will be a stone.
Slow loss means you are more likely to keep to it.
If your are not seeing anything week to week and you want to lose then you need too........or let someone else look at your food intake.
If your serious then cut takeaways to one a month, no chocolate, alcohol has many calories, crisps NO, light breakfast and eat kiddy sized meals.
IF your NOT then when you lose weight you will feel like the ordeal is over and back to bad habits.....................yo yo............

I changed my diet for good and live with it, but stay stable even with some indulgence.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

But isn't healthy weight loss, more than a case of 'Burn more and eat less'
If the body thinks it is going to have to go without food for a long period of time, it will start to retain fat
as it thinks it's having to deal with a famine.

To healthfully lose weight a person needs to feed the new exercise regime.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's better to burn more & change your eating habits to healthy ones :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ossie

Post by ossie »

I appreciate im late in the day on this thread and admit to have not read most of it...apologies, its probably run its course.

I saw the first post mind . I **lose** weight by cycling 40 -60 miles plus a couple of times a week. I eat and drink what I like but can also gain weight quickly, im 49. 1 hour turbo sessions a few times a week keep things in check when i cant get out but its only when I get out for those 3 to 6 hour rides that I actively lose weight and its a cycle...every summer I get down to 13 stone..every winter im up to 14 plus stone.

Long endurance rides lose weight...when touring, it drops off massively but the problem is I guess people really dont have the time to cycle for long intensive rides several times a week.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

No, this thread has by no means 'run its course' - weight management (better terminology than 'weight loss') is almost by definition an ongoing thing, once you've taken the plunge it never stops.

Speaking for myself, I've nothing dramatic to report, in the early days I showed a 4Kg drop but I think that was 'reversion to the mean' after Xmas, since then it's been erratic but no clear trend. I don't mind showing my log for the last 12 days, just to make the point that short-term fluctuations mean very little:
weight log to 28-01-15.jpg
weight log to 28-01-15.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 810 times

This log starts when I bought myself a new set of bathroom scales which are considerably easier to use than the old Salter scales (which, try as I might, I could not read even wearing my glasses). I would not hesitate to recommend them - even if they do come via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BalanceFrom-Acc ... roduct_top
You do need a reliable set of scales if you're going to do this seriously.

Incidentally, I've chucked it in with WeightWatchers. I reckon they're mainly out to lighten your wallet, rather than your body mass.... And IMO the advice they deliver is fundamentally flawed.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
honesty

Post by honesty »

the problem is that focusing on weight rather than body composition (% body fat) is in my opinion the wrong thing. I have not lost a kg since Christmas but my body fat has gone down and I am healthier...
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

honesty wrote:the problem is that focusing on weight rather than body composition (% body fat) is in my opinion the wrong thing. I have not lost a kg since Christmas but my body fat has gone down and I am healthier...
If it's not a silly question: how do you know that?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Electrical measurement from scales (I am aware of the shortcomings of this).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Shortcomings indeed!

Well, the article may be wrong, but I have just checked the website of the Balancefrom people, whose scales I just purchased, and they don't appear to offer one of these devices. Just accurate bathroom scales.

I have a cheap multimeter in the house - use it mainly to check batteries etc. So if I measure the 'resistance' between my feet eh...? Well, I couldn't be bothered to take off my shoes and socks, so I tried between my two hands. Until moistening my fingers, I got nothing. With damp fingers, I got a reading of about 650 KΩ, but then it started fluctuating wildly. I suspect that the message it's telling me about my body fat is:
...not a lot of help. :lol:

Sorry, you've awakened the old cynic in Yours truly.
honesty

Post by honesty »

No you're right, they aren't great which is why I generally measure at the same time of day and try to counter the other variables and now and again I swipe the calipers from the gym and do it the old fashioned way. Like most of these tools they're just a guide.

The point about fat distribution they make is a good one, but not something that can be really measured at home. In general if you're reducing fat overall this is a good thing.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Slowly slowly catchee monkey.1 mcvities digestive less a day,700 cals a week,3500cals(1 lb of fat) in 5 weeks,10lb in a year and you,ve hardly noticed a thing.This principle of small,incremental changes in all aspects of ones life means big changes longterm.Works for Dave Brailsford,works for anyone.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

According to this:
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/ca ... stives.htm
One McV biccy is 71cals ........... I suppose they mean Kcals.

One a day for a week is 497Kcals.
Mick F. Cornwall
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Get "my fitness Pal" online or an app.

You programme weight loss or gain, it will work.

OK its calories per minutes of exercise are estimates.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

anniesboy wrote:Get "my fitness Pal" online or an app.

You programme weight loss or gain, it will work.

OK its calories per minutes of exercise are estimates.

+1 My wife and I both used it. I lost 48lb in 11 months, she lost 42lbs. We had a month off on various holidays and jaunts over that period. We ate chocolate, steak and chips, glasses of wine and spirits regularly during the diet. My Fitness Pal allows you control your calorie intake, take into account exercise and totally control the calories. Its a brilliant way to control your weight, and its free!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I should have added that my wife and I used it we lost 3 stone between us.

It makes a noticeable difference hill climbing on our tandem.

According to built calorie exercise guide.

One pint of bitter = 180 cals , 16 minutes cycling at 10-12 mph = 181

These amounts vary according to gender,weight and desired weight loss.