Bladder cancer

reohn2

Re: Bladder cancer

Post by reohn2 »

I've only just seen this thread as I don't usually frequent the section.I'm sorry to read of your health problems,I can't offer any advice on your problem,but I do hope you get well soon and resume your cycling :) .

All the best.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

First posts today after a years absence with the dreaded c word. You WILL get through this - chemo is tough - I have three sessions left and would happily have abandoned it before Christmas but a stern talking to from my wife soon put an end that idea! Now I am starting to think about riding my bike again but it will have to get a lot warmer before I can. You will probably get some of the side effects some of the time but hopefully not the full list all the time. I still have most of my hair, they say it might change colour and texture- I rather fancy green curls in place of the grey! Food tastes funny and immediately after the session I feel very tired but it wears off and then we start again. So far no moth sores or sickness but there is still time!!!

There will be low days and high days. Try to find a distraction or it can become a major focus in your life. But there is light at the end of the tunnel - these surgeon guys/girls are just so clever and the care I have received on the NHS has been second to none. Keep planning stuff for the future and don't give up.
Very best wishes.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Just a brief update, I have now completed my short course (three sessions) of chemo.

I was clearly very lucky in that I did not suffer any side effects,other than hair loss.

I had no fatigue and as a result able to keep up some fitness, though I did not cycle much,primarily because of poor weather and wanting to minimize infection risk.

Im soon moving to the next stage,removal of my bladder. I am hoping to be able to have a reconstructed bladder (neo bladder).

I will post again post surgery.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm glad to hear that it has gone well so far, and wish you the best for your surgery.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I'm glad to hear that it has gone well so far, and wish you the best for your surgery.

+1
Good luck with the surgery and I hope everything goes to plan :)
W H Auden
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Just a short update, I am now nearly a month post operative.

In the end I opted for a neo bladder hence no external bag.
The operation was along one 6- 8 hours preformed laproscopically (query spelling)

This was the first operation of this kind carried out at RBH Reading. Clearly I will have many weeks recovering.
once my under carriage begins to feel "normal" , I will try my stationary bike
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Get well soon :D
I hope you're not too long out of action
W H Auden
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

I hope all goes well with the neo bladder. I think it's great that you've shared your story. Things like this are such a taboo nowadays and I think it's best to get them out there and discuss. Helps others feel like they're not alone.
Hope ur recovery is quick and u manage to get out on the bike. Why not get a turbo trainer n build back up on that. That way if u tire quicker than u Thought home is right there for you :)
using hovercraft full of eels.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Best wishes to you and that you can start to cycle soon .
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:Get well soon :D
I hope you're not too long out of action

+1
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I sure it was just sods law but following my post on April 27th,I developed a fairly accute infection which resulted in another eight days in hospital.

This clearly set back my recovery, however yesterday on went for a very short ride on my touring bike. This went fairly well but having not been on a bike or been able to do much exercise since mid March ,I did not want to push things.

Im getting on with training my neo bladder (by way of pelvic floor exrecises), I can go about an hour and a half to two hours before i need to pee.Hopefully given time I will go for longer.

At least Im not having to cope with external bags.

To anyone unfortunate to have this form of cancer I can recommend the neo bladder operation. But be warned the recovery is no picnic.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Glad to hear you're back on the bike!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Yes, it's always good when someone shares their good news!

And if you ask nicely, I'm sure there must be one or two on here who could explain how to, err, "manage" without even getting off the bike :mrgreen:
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Just an update,for anyone who is unlucky enough to develop bladder cancer.

It is not the end of cycling.

As on Sunday I sucessfully completed the Oxford CTC Tri Vets 100 mile ride.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Chapeau.
What a wonderful heartening story.