Hip replacement

reohn2

Hip replacement

Post by reohn2 »

Sooner or not much later I'll need a hip replacement(H/R) operation,it's been slowly getting worse over the past couple of years,and I've been trying to leave it as long as possible so as to reduce the chances of a second replacement,at 62 it may not go the distance as I've been told the lifespan of a replacement is approx 10years.I know that's an approximation and it could see me out but I've been told a second one is never as good as the first :? .
Anyway,there are a couple of things that concern me mainly to do with cycling as TBH if my cycling is reduced drastically it'd be a major disappointment,would cycling reduce H/R mileage,would there be any other restrictions.
The operation itself doesn't bother me TBH as it'll have to be done,rehab's the same,it's the long haul that concerns me the most.
One other point is where the cut is made as some surgeons go in from the buttock,some from the side Which is best from a cycling POV,scare tissue healing etc,etc?

So if anyone has had it done what's the verdict?
I'd be grateful of any help on the issue from a cyclist's POV.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
axel_knutt

Re: Hip replacement

Post by axel_knutt »

reohn2 wrote:I've been told the lifespan of a replacement is approx 10years.

Is that with or without cycling? I don't have the answer, it just struck me that it's something you need to find out if you don't already know. I'm waiting for a heart operation at the moment, and the long term success rate is halved if I don't quit exercise.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

axel_knutt wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've been told the lifespan of a replacement is approx 10years.

Is that with or without cycling? I don't have the answer, it just struck me that it's something you need to find out if you don't already know. I'm waiting for a heart operation at the moment, and the long term success rate is halved if I don't quit exercise.

The consultant I saw last year asked about my exercise,I told him my hill walking had be curtailed due to the problem and though,at the time,my cycling hadn't I was used to doing 60 and 70 mile rides three or four time a week.
10years was his estimate though some people last much longer,he didn't think I'd be upto that kind of mileage after the operation but said that was upto the individual,couldn't give any guarantee and that it was only pain relief he could.
Ultimately IFAIC it's pain management,I can't walk far,maximum 2miles and I now limp,but cycling with the aid of Ibuprofen(one 400mg+OmiPrazole(sp?) I'm good for 3 to 4 hours,I may occasionally need another dose,but seldom need a third in a day.
It's worse if I don't exercise and if the weather's damp and cold.

What concerns me most is the step into the unknown,as once the step is taken there's no return.
If I didn't have a choice it'd be inevitable :?
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Saw one of my pals this morning. He had his second one done on Monday. He is landscape gardener and recently did a small job for us, but he did all the landscaping in our garden a few years ago. He was a very keen footballer and runner and this seems to have caused the problem for him now 62. He is very determined to get back to work asap. I know others where the op has been a series of failures, dont understand why. On the other hand I know many 80+ cyclists with replacement hips who regularly do long rides but who struggle with long walks. Good luck with it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
531colin

Post by 531colin »

2 people I know reasonably well ride with a hip replacement.
One is fitter and faster than me, does regular 100 mile days in Yorkshire.
Other is not such a committed cyclist, but did Tan Hill, Buttertubs, Grinton Moor, a 125 mile day with me, also one of the TdeF stages.
I would have had the operation by now if I had your symptoms.
3 bits of advice....
do the physio.
do the physio.
do the physio.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I cycle regularly with a friend whose hip has been replaced twice, he is not fast but then he is 85.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks for the positive comments :)

3 bits of advice....
do the physio.
do the physio.
do the physio.

Oh! without doubt.
W H Auden
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

531colin wrote:3 bits of advice....
do the physio.
do the physio.
do the physio.

...and remember there's a reason they're known as physioterrorists :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a chap I know - keen gardner and allotment user - and he's had THREE hip replacements.

As far as I can recall, the first one has lasted many years, but the other one was problematical as it was his body that was rejecting it. He was in terrible pain for quite a while and they eventually took it out and fitted another - hence his three hips.

I see him from time to time, so I must get the facts from him.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TonyR wrote:
531colin wrote:3 bits of advice....
do the physio.
do the physio.
do the physio.

...and remember there's a reason they're known as physioterrorists :wink:

I'm familiar with this kind of 'terrorism' :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:There's a chap I know - keen gardner and allotment user - and he's had THREE hip replacements.

As far as I can recall, the first one has lasted many years, but the other one was problematical as it was his body that was rejecting it. He was in terrible pain for quite a while and they eventually took it out and fitted another - hence his three hips.

A three legged gardener,now that's a novelty :shock:
Get the low down on it,and let us know what caused it.
W H Auden
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

reohn2 wrote:A three legged gardener,now that's a novelty :shock:

He's Jake the Peg deedle deedle deedle um with his extra leg deedle deedle deedle um...

But I guess we're not allowed to mention that any more. :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TonyR wrote:
reohn2 wrote:A three legged gardener,now that's a novelty :shock:

He's Jake the Peg deedle deedle deedle um with his extra leg deedle deedle deedle um...

But I guess we're not allowed to mention that any more. :shock:

Can ya tell what it is yet.......... .....Oops better not :oops:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:There's a chap I know - keen gardner and allotment user - and he's had THREE hip replacements.

A three legged gardener,now that's a novelty :shock:
Will do.

He's a Lancastrian - Chorley, I think - been living down here for yonks and we see him in the local pub on Fridays usually.
I'll get back to you after I've quizzed him.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a quick chat with Harold - the man with three hips. :lol:

What happened was ............... that he had a hip replaced in March one year, and the other one done in the October of the next year. Soon after that, the first hip wasn't feeling right. He told me that he had had suspicions about it early on, but slowly and steadily he was in pain.

I remember him on continual pain killers and he looked strained and drawn. Eventually, they took him in and re-did the first hip, and since then he's been great. No pain, and as fit as he can be at his age - pushing 80?

The first hip wasn't fitted correctly. They coat the bits that fit into your bones with a stuff to stop your body rejecting the hip, and somehow the coating wasn't adhering properly because of the design. His body was rejecting the hip and eating away at his bone and the hip became loose - hence the pain. It seems that there's not one "Rolls Royce" of hips and they continually modify the design, as one sort doesn't suit all. Harold fell foul of this particular design and it's been recorded as such.

Harold is an interesting man. He trained as a carpenter and did all the shuttering for the concrete supports for the all the motorway bridges on the M6 and the first stretch of motorway in UK - the Preston Bypass, later to be called the M6. He told me of the supports with huge titanium studs sunk into the concrete to bolt the steel bridges onto.

He served in the army for his national service and spent quite some time in Borneo as a transport driver. On return to UK he drove the huge Thornycroft Antar tank transporters. Massive things! :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornycroft_Antar
Mick F. Cornwall