Third Molar....Foot On Chest Job !

NATURAL ANKLING

Third Molar....Foot On Chest Job !

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Had my first tooth pulled (four through malocclusion, overcrowded teeth early teens) in over 45 years, needed to come out as the gum was infected along with the tooth.
Been grinning and bearing it for some months but when the gum was painful (roof of mouth) I could'nt eat with out bringing on pain in tooth jaw side of face and that side of my skull :(

I knew it was comming out but was not preparred for the amount of force the dentist needed to get it out, about five minutes at least probably ten just to get it out, all that bone crunching.

Could'nt feel any pain but I though my jaw would crack :shock:
I had to ask if it was out ....NO.......... :( Some more fighting and then it was done.
Take some parracetamol and your be OK.

Twenty minutes later after the anasthetic had gone, well I have to say it felt exactely what it would feel like if someone wrenched your molar out with some mole grips but had to twist it every way before it came out....................

Got home and the pain was unbearable so took paracetamol and went to lie down.
Writhing with pain for about an hour, the took some Naproxen.
Took parracetamol & codene whatever and Naproxen which was the most percribed oral pain killer you could take for a whole week.
Waking from sleep with same pain as before it came out.
Then went back to dentist for a looksee, he packed the socket with antiseptic and went back every day for three days.
Then it actually felt better just 50 % of its worse.

Gradually got better but still some pain and finally two and a half weeks later free of pain killers and going out tomorow on bike, first ride since extraction.
The only consolation was that my last ride was a pretty good one :)

Oh and B.P. was 160 / 100 for a week, 169 / 106+ on one occassion, today is first day it has come down to 130/80.

Really worried that the infection would get worse and end up in hospital, I have no spleen.

One of my mates was born with a heart murmer but cycled daily and was actually quite fit, went to dentist and then spent several months in hostpital but needed a heart valve before he went home.

Another mate who did a marathon with me went to dentist and felt unwell so admitted to hospital and was dead in two weeks at 24.

Oh no question exactely just sharing the pain :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
squeaker

Re: Third Molar....Foot On Chest Job !

Post by squeaker »

You have my sympathies. Had a lower molar extracted at the same time as an upper pre-molar recently. Fortunately both came out relatively easily, although the noise was horrendous, especially the lower. Painkillers (fortunately I had some co-codamol left over from shingles a couple of years ago) needed for nearly 3 weeks to get any sleep :(
Sounds like you've survived though - always a plus point :wink:
"42"
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

If the tooth and gum were infected then the cavity should have been packed with antibiotic dressing and you should have been prescribed a course of antibiotics. If this didn't happen then you might want to have a discussion with your Dentist.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
As I have no spleen then if you have no functioning spleen you are on antibiotics for lfe, penicillin also on doxycyclene too, and probably if I had not been then the problem would have come to a head quicker.

I could have gone back to dentist earlier but I dont like to moan.
When I had my wisdom teeth out I had to go through the pain one more time for two and a half weeks too, so I think its normal.

I have no fear of dentist, but you know whats going to happen when you go there.

Out on bike today and felt relativly normal but had to cut short the full distance and took normal time, even so and average heart rate of 154 (83 % of max) for 2 hrs 40 min so it was and effort just to go round a shorter course, normal would be 80% of max.
Feel ok even if I did collide with a van encroaching on to cycle path from an entry to roundabout, the plastic wing bonged as my bars bounced off, I did not fall, if I had probably have been crushed by the cars behind me, and then he sounded his horn :x
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

I know how you feel.

I was working on site in Stratford Upon Avon once, many miles from home.

Raging toothache, I am a dentist baby and don't like to go.

It got so bad I thought I'd have to get it sorted and pay whatever it would take to get rid of the pain. I was walking along the high street looking for dentists. I could only find one and it was the poshest place you could ever possibly imagine. I thought this is going to cost me but I didn't care the pain was so bad.

Sat down, the very posh dentist had a look.

Dentist, "It is a wisdom tooth, it needs to come out"

Me, "Ok then" thinking this is going to be a hospital job or some long convoluted lead in.

Silence for about thirty seconds...

Me, "What now?"

Dentist, "Yes now"

I was in so much pain I didn't care and wanted it done so the pain would go away. So a few injections and ten minutes or so for them to take effect (pain went when the novacaine kicked in) waiting in a very posh wood paneled waiting room, in fact the whole place was like that. And then down to business.

Had the dentist kneeling on my chest and the assistant helping to hold my head. Lots of crunching and cracking noises. A few minutes later and it was out, a wisdom tooth. I didn't think it was possible without major surgery, stitches and all sorts of suffering. Only £45 too I seem to recall.

Modern dentistry is very high up the list of why I'm very happy to live in the here and now.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Colin_P wrote:Modern dentistry is very high up the list of why I'm very happy to live in the here and now.
+1: much as I like naval rum, it does have its limitations :lol:
"42"
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Having had 3 lots of Root issues in recent years, 1 of which became infected while waiting for a follow up appt, i can understand your pain.. if think the roots can be rooted into the jaw.. then the pain afterwards can be pretty bad as well. I would not have started with paracetamol but nurofen plus, because once the pain builds up it is hard to get back on top of it.

Best wishes.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Your dentist is a butcher, he should have spent a lot more time rocking the tooth to loosen it first, then it just comes out easy but it does take a while. A lasting impression was left on me by a young blonde dentist who knelt on my chest for a good 10 minutes working a tooth loose. When she finally took the tooth out I thought she was just going to get the big pliers but no, we were all done.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Funny my last dentist was a Butcher, they used to call him Butcher Bain (bain his surname) but I found him ok.

To be honest the molars have large roots so apart from cutting the jaw which once he started he could not do, it does not surprise me now.

So nearly three weeks and just spat out another piece of tooth :)
But feel pain free, and managed the whole 37 miles, a little tough and avg heart rate is up to 85 % of max :? 2 hrs 43 mins slow for me, 180 max seen today. Thats what off the bike for that long does.

Naproxen is I believe the / one of the strongest non steroidal anti inflamatry drugs I think you can get on perscription, unlike ibruprofen based (neurofen etc,) which work after an hour and after three it starts to wain, Naproxen lasts half a day at least, well worth it if you can get it off your doctor.

But I will be honest when its bad you still feel the pain in phases even when you are dosed up.

Thanks for your comments all.