We are Cycling UK Into - What is your view

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
AndyK

Re: We are Cycling UK Into - What is your view

Post by AndyK »

gaz wrote:Branding Kit.

That's the one. Packed full of cuddly rounded FF Cocon font goodness. :-) Not a Times New Roman to be seen.
gaz

Post by gaz »

It loses a lot in a cut and paste translation. I should have looked for it from an official source sooner, live and learn :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Thank gaz. Very odd. The one I had before is definitely different. I got it from Dennis Snape's Facebook group page. But I was looking at it on the PC, not the tabet I'm using now.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Interesting to see that Scotland and Wales have their own variation of the logo, but not England and Northern Ireland :( .
In the blurb, the Big Bike Revival is shown headed by a UK wide logo although the BBR was an England only event, confusing for readers.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Karen Sutton wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:It looks like Times Roman in the kit to me.

To be clearer, in the re-brand kit the new name plus strapline is printed several times in blue and yellow but the font is Times New Roman, not Cocon.

The answer is simple - the WORD doc that was issued does not have the Cocon font "embedded" in it - that means that if you don't have Cocon installed on your machine it substitutes a default font - usually Times New Roman. A PDF is really just a picture of the document it's made from and that will embed the correct fonts (usually ... depends on the pdf creator.) - that's why the pdf looks "correct" [I use the word "correct" as being it's the "right process" ... not the "right answer" :twisted: ]

To send out the original Word doc without the Cocon font embedded was an error that probably even the office junior wouldn't have made.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

robgul wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:It looks like Times Roman in the kit to me.

To be clearer, in the re-brand kit the new name plus strapline is printed several times in blue and yellow but the font is Times New Roman, not Cocon.

The answer is simple - the WORD doc that was issued does not have the Cocon font "embedded" in it - that means that if you don't have Cocon installed on your machine it substitutes a default font - usually Times New Roman. A PDF is really just a picture of the document it's made from and that will embed the correct fonts (usually ... depends on the pdf creator.) - that's why the pdf looks "correct" [I use the word "correct" as being it's the "right process" ... not the "right answer" :twisted: ]

To send out the original Word doc without the Cocon font embedded was an error that probably even the office junior wouldn't have made.

Rob
I am the guilty man here sorry
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

At least I know it wasn't me.
Si

Post by Si »

Go Cocon, after all, what have the Times New Romans ever done for us?
robgul

Post by robgul »

Karen Sutton wrote:At least I know it wasn't me.

Just for once I think Philip Benstead may be wrong - I'm pretty sure that the stuff Dennis got (that you then found) was sent to him by Julie Rand at CTC as part of a broadcast mailshot to all MG secretaries - that was in Word format and had the font issue.

Dennis, as Secretary of the HoECC affiliated club had forwarded it to me as a member o0f the club. We have added the CTC/CUK documents to the Library area at http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk under the "Conversion" section where there is also document published (by popular request from about 30 people) that explains why and how we went about forming HoECC as an affiliated club and dissolving the CTC Heart of England Member Group

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker