The Petition - DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Philip Benstead

The Petition - DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Post by Philip Benstead »

CYCLISTS’ TOURING CLUB
DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

We the undersigned members of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) demand a poll of the whole club ASAP in accordance with Article 11 of the Memorandum of Association of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (as amended by the AGM on 12 May 2012).

We are petitioning the CTC to demand a poll of the whole club so CTC members will have the opportunity to endorse or overturn the motion passed at CTC Council meeting on 23rd January 2016 that agreed to the replacement of the existing branding of “Cyclists` Touring Club or CTC” and associated logo(s) and heritage marks with “CYCLING UK” or another branding name and logo(s)
Full Name (PRINT IN BLOCK CAPITALS) CTC Number Signature
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Philip Benstead

Re: The Petition - DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Apologies for any delay. Please note my letter and the CTC Chair comments and my reply.
CTC Members
CTC Local Group Secretary
CTC Affiliate Groups
Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC)

Philip Benstead
CTC Brand Petition,
19 Greencoat Mansions,
Greencoat Row,
Westminster,
London, SW1P 1PG

philipbenstead1@gmail.com
0794-980-1698
23 February 2016

Dear Secretary/Member

Apologies if I have sent to you in error, please forward to the correct person and any CTC Members.

CHANGE OF THE BRANDING NAME OF THE “CTC” to “CYCLING UK”
DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

You and your CTC members may have become aware that at the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) Council meeting on 23rd January 2016 agreed on a vote of 10 to 5 to replace the existing “Cyclists` Touring Club or CTC” and associated logo(s) and heritage marks with “CYCLING UK” or another branding name and logo(s). https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003150027

We are petitioning the CTC to demand a poll of the whole club so CTC members will have the opportunity to endorse or overturn the motion.

It is our opinion the entire decision-making process was flawed and any dissent was either ignored or shouted down. A similar technique was used regarding the governance issue, but more of that a little in the future. We need 200 valued CTC members signing, but I want many more to avoid any being discounted and to show the strength of feeling.

It has been drawn to our attention that there are already similarly named cycling-related internet sites

https://www.facebook.com/ucyclingk/?fref=ts
https://twitter.com/CyclingUKNews
http://cycleuk.bike/

Please could you circulate this petition to any fully paid up CTC members.

Please ensure that their name/number is legible and that they must also sign it in black or blue ink/biro.

Please note that we have the support of some councillors.

We are seeking the poll details to be in the April/May edition of “Cycle”; so time is short.
Please return the completed sheets in an A4 size envelope to me ASAP at
Philip Benstead CTC Brand Petition,
19 Greencoat Mansions, Greencoat Row, Westminster, London, SW1P 1PG.

Please ensure the correct first class postage is used, you need to use the Large Letter rate of 100g = 95p, 250g = £1.26, 500g = £1.68, 750g = £2.42.

The CTC Articles of Association prevent me from using an on line petition.

Many thanks for your help,

Philip Benstead
BRAND PETITION COORDINATOR AND POST-BOX

CTC Rebranding Chair Statement - Philip Benstead Reply

DC = David Cox
PB = Philip Benstead

This entire process reflects very badly on the CTC it has been push though, it is part of a trend which will result in power being taken away from Councillors elected the members.

Message from the Chair: Rebranding Update

DC It has been brought to my attention that CTC member and former Councillor Philip Benstead has approached local group Secretaries and other members asking for support for a poll of the whole membership about the decision to rebrand. It is up to members whether they wish to seek a poll – the charity’s articles of association provide for a poll where 200 members wish to challenge a resolution of Council.
PB Yes that is correct

DC However, the last time we conducted a poll of the whole club, the cost of the process was approximately £14,000. In terms of what this means to our charity, that is enough to employ a staff member for over 5 months to offer full time support to Member Groups.
PB That works out has £33,000 over one year with additional add on costs comes to £66,000 per year. Is that a cast iron comments? I think not

DC Before you commit the charity to that expense, I would like to ensure you have a bit more background information.
PB How much did four lots of consultants cost when you combined the rebranding with the governance process.
What is proposed?
CTC Council at least have no background information only executive committee has any information even though the Executive committee is not a policy making body, it is exceeding it authority

DC The document I have seen refers to the proposed re-branding in rather confused terms. As set out in our earlier statement here, from our Chief Executive, Paul Tuohy, “Our charity will still legally be registered as the Cyclists’ Touring Club with its charity and company registrations unchanged. The Cyclists’ Touring Club is not being disbanded. In fact, part of the need for this change is because we hope the new brand will enhance our touring offering.
PB What evidence has been supplied to back up this statement?

DC The new name (as I’m sure many of you will now have seen) is ‘Cycling UK’ and the brand ‘we are Cycling UK’ will be adopted as a ‘trading name’ of the charity.
PB There a number of cycling related organisations that have very similar names this will cause confusion

DC We are very proud of our heritage and history, and we know that a new name and brand will really help to make our charity even more attractive to many more people.”
PB Why get rid of a name that is know all over the world, it not what you call yourself but what you do and how you market yourself.

DC By the nature of this information being leaked, our full rebranding has not yet been presented (only the new name and a new logo).
Yes, but nor have the Councillors seen the full information. This show how the council is being kept in the dark even though they are legally responsible.

DC While these both form an integral part of our new brand, they will both be used in conjunction with images and editorial in a way that conveys much more than any logo might in isolation.
PB Why can’t you use this with the existing name? In fact, CTC publicity is lackluster, we appear not to be able to publish our own rides and events in efficient manner.

DC In fact the success of any brand is about how an organisations ‘lives and breathes’ its values through the work that it does.
PB It not about imagers what counts is what we do, we do not publish our self enough, there has been no suggestion of setting up special groups similar to how the ramblers improve intake of memebers

What does this mean for Member Groups?

DC CTC Member Groups will not need to change their names, their jerseys or other aspects of their branding unless they want to. Most Member Groups have a clear identity and touring orientation that is well recognised by local club cyclists and they will be free to maintain that identity. It will continue to be possible to obtain classic kit and winged wheel badges – and we plan to develop further items drawing on the charity’s rich heritage.

PB That was not reported at the January 2016 council meeting, are the powers that be are frighten?

Was the decision endorsed by Council?

DC Yes. The Council meeting on 23 January resolved to accept the new name and design proposed by the professional team working to reflect the ‘brand essence’ approved by Council at an earlier meeting.
PB Yes but what the consultants told use was self-evidence but upon closer reading the numbers in some cases do not add up.

DC The decision came at the end of an impressively thorough process. While some Council members were initially cautious of the jargon that can surround exercises like this, there was a near-unanimous acknowledgement that the team working with us understood CTC with all its complex heritage and exciting future – and had captured our collective desire to share the joy of cycling.
PB The decision was made after I left the council

DC Only One Council member voted against the proposed rebrand, with 15 voting in favour.
PB It shows how the council has been ground into submission, I know I have the support of five serving CTC Councillors and some ex councils including an ex chair of council. They are disgusted how this process has been carried out.
Have steps been taken to protect the new brand?

DC Yes. We have conducted a robust risk-assessment, protected the new logo as a registered trade mark and taken other steps on the advice of our legal and other advisers.
PB What about the similar named cycling organisations, that will cause confusion

What does this mean for the winged wheel?

There will be many charities who will be jealous of our rich history and such iconic assets like our winged wheel, and rightly so. We will continue to promote our heritage as a very important part of our wider brand, which will include continuing to use the winged wheel.

Who is Philip Benstead?

Philip Benstead is a long-standing CTC member, volunteer and former Council member. He left Council with effect from 1 January this year, after a contested election in the South East region.

DC We are particularly disappointed that Philip has chosen to take this action because:
PB I have the support of many current Councillors

DC (I) At the CTC Council meeting in January 2014 Philip seconded the motion to go ahead with the work on the rebranding, specifically to: ‘Agree in principle to a trading name change … ‘;
PB Yes in principal but the case has not been made I want something like “CTC …………..”

DC (ii) As a former member of CTC Council Philip should understand that members of Council are obliged to accept collective responsibility, and that responsibility continues to apply in relation to decisions made while he was a trustee;
PB The decision was made after I left the council
DC (iii) Despite the fact that he was until the end of last year a Council member, Philip chose not to raise his concerns about the decision with Council or with the National Office team.
PB I express my view on this and other matters concerning governance. I was either ignored ridiculed by the chair or not recorded in the minutes even when pointed out to correct the minutes these were reject even when submitted by other Councillors.
What next?

We will be officially launching our new name and brand in April, through Cycle magazine, our online communications channels and via the media. We will also be back in touch with you before then to provide you with new resources and guidance so that you can maximise this opportunity to raise the profile of [the charity and] your group locally, to help to attract new members and to gain local media interest.

If you have any questions, please contact the communications team on 01483 238 315.

David Cox
Chair, CTC Council
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Philip, you need to get an on line petition set-up.
There must be some one on here who supports your petition, like myself, who can set it up. Even Facebook would do, a lot of the GOM on here may not have Facebook but have family who do. Like myself.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

landsurfer wrote:Philip, you need to get an on line petition set-up.
There must be some one on here who supports your petition, like myself, who can set it up. Even Facebook would do, a lot of the GOM on here may not have Facebook but have family who do. Like myself.

Philip Benstead wrote:...
The CTC Articles of Association prevent me from using an on line petition.
Philip Benstead

I sent this email to CTC Legal Advisor, I obtain automatic reply but no other reply. IMHO I suspect CTC HQ wish to hinder me as much as they can?

ELECTRONIC POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB
Inbox
x

Philip Benstead1 <philipbenstead1@gmail.com>
Attachments25 Feb (6 days ago)

to shivaji.shiva,

It been suggested to me by a severing CTC Councillor that a poll of the whole club would be valid if carried out by electronic means on the internet. That the need to have hard copies and a physical signature being no longer a requirement. Given that at a previous AGM the ability to communicate with CTC memebers via electronic means is permitted.

Please provide a formal statement on this question.

MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION OF THE CYCLISTS’ TOURING CLUB

As amended by the AGM on 14 May 2011

11 POLLS OF THE WHOLE CLUB

11.1 Any question may at any time be submitted by order of the Council or by resolution of a General Meeting to a poll of the whole Club, in such manner and at such time as the Council or the General Meeting may direct.

11.2 A poll of the whole Club shall be taken if either one third of the members of the Council or 200 Members of the Club shall within three months of the passing of a resolution in a Council Meeting or General Meeting lodge with the Secretary a petition in writing signed by the petitioning members

11.2.1 Protesting against such resolution and

11.2.2 Containing a requisition that a poll of the whole Club be taken upon such resolution.

11.3 Upon receipt of the petition the Secretary shall publish in the next issue but one of the Club magazine to be distributed after the petition shall have been lodged with him full details of the petition and incorporate a voting slip therein specifying the date (not being less than 28 days after the date of publication) when all votes must be received by the Secretary. When voting has closed as aforesaid the votes shall be counted and the resolution confirmed or rescinded in accordance with the majority of votes cast. If the voting be equally divided the resolution shall be confirmed.

11.4 Provided always that any action taken upon such resolution prior to receipt of such petition shall be valid.

11.5 All decisions arrived at by a poll of the whole Club shall bind the Club and the Council for six months.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:

I sent this email to CTC Legal Advisor, I obtain automatic reply but no other reply. IMHO I suspect CTC HQ wish to hinder me as much as they can?

CTC don't answer e-mail. When I was a member and e-mailed them about things (including volunteering) they didn't replay. they are a complete disaster in this regard (rather rude as well).

Ian
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Psamathe wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:

CTC don't answer e-mail. When I was a member and e-mailed them about things (including volunteering) they didn't replay. they are a complete disaster in this regard (rather rude as well).

Ian

It doesn't matter. The petition needs 200 signatures to be effective. It makes no difference whether its 201 signatures or 20,001. PB tells us he has those so the process is triggered if he sends them in. More signatures make no difference, its just a triggering process, not a vote.

The Mem and Arts are then quite clear. The vote is carried out by means of a voting slip included in the next but one issue of Cycle. That has to be a physical voting slip, not an online one. And I can fully understand why as not all members have access to or know how to do things online and could be disenfranchised by online voting.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Philip Benstead wrote:...
It been suggested to me by a severing CTC Councillor that a poll of the whole club would be valid if carried out by electronic means on the internet. That the need to have hard copies and a physical signature being no longer a requirement. Given that at a previous AGM the ability to communicate with CTC memebers via electronic means is permitted.

Please provide a formal statement on this question.

As for being hindered by National Office, I fully expect them to follow the provisions of Article 11 as set out in the Memorandum of Association, subject to any legal opinion that Council may choose to seek in view of the Charity Comission's statement re Article 11.

As stated by the Charity Commission, legal advice for Council is a legitimate expense of the Charity, legal advice for members is not. I'm not sure why you are anticipating free legal advice on this matter from the club's Honorary Consulting Solicitor.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Philip Benstead

David Cox – Chair / Paul Touhy - Chief Executive
Cyclists’ Touring Club
Parklands,
Railton Road,
Guildford,
Surrey, GU2 9JX

Philip Benstead
CTC Brand Petition,
19 Greencoat Mansions,
Greencoat Row,
Westminster,
London, SW1P 1PG
philipbenstead1@gmail.com
0794-980-1698

Thursday, 03 March 2016

Dear Sirs,

I have despatch a package to you today by registered post please confirm safe receipt of this package by emailing philipbenstead1@gmail.com

In accordance with Article 11 Memorandum of Association of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (As Amended by the AGM On 12 May 2012)

A poll of the whole Club shall be taken if either one third of the members of the Council or 200 Members of the Club shall within three months of the passing of a resolution in a Council Meeting or General Meeting lodge with the Secretary a petition in writing signed by the petitioning members)

I am submitting is petition on behalf of CTC members to demand a polls of the whole club in regard the motion passed at CTC Council meeting on 23rd January 2016 that agree to the replacement of the existing “Cyclists` Touring Club or CTC” and associated logo(s) and heritage marks with “CYCLING UK” or any other branding name and logo(s).

We are petitioning the CTC to demand a poll of the whole club so CTC members will have the opportunity to indorse or overturn the motion.

I would be obliged if you would confirm receipt of this letter and the enclosures by return.

The petition comprises 47 sheets, containing the names, CTC membership number and signatures of 392 members of the CTC. I have excluded signatures without a CTC membership number or otherwise spoiled. This exceeds the 200 signatures required under Article 11.

I have taken advice from my CTC Councillors on the procedure to be followed for the petition. I understand that the CTC is required to publish full details of the petition in the next but one issue of the Club magazine to be distributed after the petition has been lodged. Councillors confirm that would be the June/July 2016 edition.

Please note that, in addition to taking advice from councillors, I have informed CTC Councillors for the petition, to whom I am copying this letter, and understand that they will be closely monitoring how it is dealt with by the National Office and Council. I have been assured that the advice and support of councillors will fully available to me at all stages of the process.

Also I have photocopied these sheets and in addition I expect many more sheets will be arriving in the near future which I will forward to you in due course.

Yours faithfully,

Philip Benstead
BRAND PETITION COORDINATOR AND POST-BOX
Cc CTC Council
Philip Benstead

News Flash

I have just given a very forthright honest interview with Cycling Weekly.

It should be in the magazine next week,

I fully expect to be criticized by many.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:News Flash

I have just given a very forthright honest interview with Cycling Weekly.

It should be in the magazine next week,

I fully expect to be criticized by many.

Personally (and whilst I'm no longer a member thanks to the "new direction") I think it will do the CTC quite a lot of good to be reminded they have members whose opinions need to be considered.

Well done.

Ian
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

I've just heard about this...

http://tinyurl.com/j5zrko4

...why weren't we all consulted...??

Is there another Cycling Touring Club we can join ...that doesn't reflect mountain biking ...cyclocross ...stuntbiking ...and all the other 'inclusive' types of cycling this new outfit ...Cycling UK ...wish to pander to...??

It was bad enough when we had to become a cycling 'charity' instead of a cycling club ...maybe this is the final nail in my membership 'coffin'...!!

Not happy!!! :(
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Velocio wrote:I've just heard about this...

http://tinyurl.com/j5zrko4

...why weren't we all consulted...??

Is there another Cycling Touring Club we can join ...that doesn't reflect mountain biking ...cyclocross ...stuntbiking ...and all the other 'inclusive' types of cycling this new outfit ...Cycling UK ...wish to pander to...??

It was bad enough when we had to become a cycling 'charity' instead of a cycling club ...maybe this is the final nail in my membership 'coffin'...!!

It seems that if you want to leave then write to the organisation and they have been refunding membership on a pro-rata basis (i.e. 6 months left to go and you get 6/12ths of your membership fee back. No idea if that is the regs but it seems what others have found (and you will be far from the 1st to do this).

In the meantime, have a look at http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk. Not the same as the CTC was (but then theCTC is not what it was either). http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk are in the early days and seeking input as to where they should be going.

Ian
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

Psamathe wrote:
Velocio wrote:Is there another Cycling Touring Club we can join ...???

It seems that if you want to leave then write to the organisation and they have been refunding membership on a pro-rata basis
Ian

Are more members expected to join because of the name change? It is a very sad state of affairs if present members are leaving the CTC over this? Do we know how many members have left already?

...ever cycle ...ever CTC
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I'm now an X member of a couple of weeks and it has been in my thoughts quite a lot.
Ive not left purely because of the name change. The name change has marshalled my thoughts. I've looked at links posted about the subject on here. It has awakened me to what CTC now does and what its focus seems to be.
As with all clubs we join and keep renewing annually because we without thinking believe the club is the same as the day you joined and as your own needs are the same.
The reason I joined, back in 2003, was our affiliated group became a member group. I can no longer recall the exact reason why but we immediately lost some numbers at that point. There was some relevant member benefits and it allowed me to carry on riding with a likeminded group of friends along with insurance.
Fast forward to the present day. Last year I did 3or 4 club rides. I will no longer drive to a start so only go, if available, to rides led by me or passing /starting near me. We have so few active members now we can no longer put a calendar together. There are no member benefits to my mind. I have house insurance and can also buy £5m cover for £9:50 with LCC.
Reading reports linked on this name change subject awakened me What do they do in Scotland? Well the only initiative I've been aware of is Belles on Bikes. An enthusiastic person travelling Scotland enthusing women to ride bikes. Selfies galore on social media and all going well [emoji1]. A good thing to do but I do wonder how many members they get from this activity and how many of them are still cycling 12 mths later. I doubt the CTC can tell you either as this is the second time my membership has lapsed and there is never a word from them as to wondering why.
I also note a lot of activity in England with perhaps a slightly heavy Southern England look to it. It might well be proportional to membership numbers I can't tell. The impression I do get though is the CTC stands for Cash Towards Cities and why not if that is where their income comes from.
I live in the country and am blessed with wonderful quiet roads to cycle on. The only time I cycle in a City is my annual ride to Edinburgh for Pedal on Parliament. POP can expect an enhanced donation from me this year due to the money I'm saving without joining CTC.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info