It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
robgul

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Post by robgul »

Si wrote:
I wonder if they will be selling patches to be sewn onto the CTC clothing merchandise ? All of those club shirts out there saying the wrong thing.....

We thought that one through .... CTC Heart of England when dissolved became Heart of England Cycling Club - just need a big black marker pen to obliterate the CTC letters and logo :twisted:

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Si wrote:
TonyR wrote: CTC means nothing to most people. Just an unfathomable TLA except to those in the know. Cyclist Touring Club no longer does it. Its so much more than just cycle touring these days and I suspect puts a lot of non-touring cyclists off.

This.

The vast majority of people have no idea what CTC stands for. When we see someone on TV from the CTC the caption normally gets it wrong as CTC is meaningless and "Cyclists' Touring Club" gives no credence to any campaigning objective. Even amongst cyclists the majority either have no idea what CTC is, or they hear Cyclists' Touring Club and think ageing, conservative, boring, beardy, blokes, doing boring rides on boring bikes.

Not sure whether I like Cycling UK yet, but at least it tells you what you are getting: cycling in the UK.

BTW "rebranding" != "change of name". I fear that anyone horrified by this one aspect of rebranding will need to stock up on the valium when the full raft of changes appears :lol:

I wonder if they will be selling patches to be sewn onto the CTC clothing merchandise ? All of those club shirts out there saying the wrong thing.....

You are right of course that no one knows CTC, but heritage can sell if marketed correctly. Problem is that Cycling UK and British Cycling have a significant overlap, unless the aim is to target the Antrim market...
Si

Post by Si »

Oh yes, quite agree that heritage sells.

This is why you pay for a good marketing company...they don't just give you a new image, they do it without losing the best bits of the old one.

Whether this will be the case...we'll have to wait till the whole package is presented and see what it looks like!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

With this new name, are they going to get loads more members (most of whom will look at what they do and what they will get for their membership)?
Is the new name going to help them attract more funding from government (who already know who they are and what they do) ?
Is the new name going to help them get more funding from other organisations (virtually all of whom will already know who they are)?

I suppose it disappoints me as I tend to think what you do and what you achieve as being more important that PR/spin/soundbites. These days, spin/PR/marketing seem more important that actually doing things. I think people can sometimes believe that "the name" is hindering them whereas it is often just themselves who are not doing the achieving. Of course marketing/PR companies will tell you differently whilst taking vast sums of your money (and some people even fall for it).

Ian
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Psamathe wrote:Is the new name going to help them attract more funding from government (who already know who they are and what they do) ?
Is the new name going to help them get more funding from other organisations (virtually all of whom will already know who they are)?

I wouldn't be too sure that they already know who CTC is and what they do. Its an organisation representing just 0.1% of the UK population. The brand recognition of the CTC in Government and other organisations will be very low outside of those directly interacting with it. At least with Cycling UK the first question won't be "So what is the CTC?".
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Si wrote:I wonder if they will be selling patches to be sewn onto the CTC clothing merchandise ? All of those club shirts out there saying the wrong thing.....

Nah, it'll be just like wearing [insert football club of choice]'s last year's kit.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TonyR wrote:
Si wrote:I wonder if they will be selling patches to be sewn onto the CTC clothing merchandise ? All of those club shirts out there saying the wrong thing.....

Nah, it'll be just like wearing [insert football club of choice]'s last year's kit.

To go with last century's values.

I'm not a number I'm a MEMBER,or used to be.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I wouldn't read too much into the domain names. It's standard practice for companies and organisations to snap up related domain names, either redirecting them to their main site or using them in some related way – or simply to stop competitors getting them.
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:To go with last century's values.

I think a certain chain of cycle shops with values stretching back to the 1490s has merchandise that says "The Revolution Will Not Be Motorised" which may be a fun message to take to CTC meetings :lol:
Last edited by mjr on 10 Feb 2016, 1:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cycling UK is a rather bland name. Easily confused with British Cycling, yes, but not conveying anything in terms of interests and intents. It is free of associations and emotional values.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
To go with last century's values.

I think a certain chain of cycle shops with values stretching back to the 1490s has merchandise that says "The Revolution Will Not Be Motorised" which may be a fun message to take to CTC meetings :lol:

1490's eh?
Last edited by reohn2 on 10 Feb 2016, 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I wouldn't read too much into the domain names. It's standard practice for companies and organisations to snap up related domain names, either redirecting them to their main site or using them in some related way – or simply to stop competitors getting them.

Anyone remember when, IIRC, Edinburgh Cycles grabbed a domain name very similar to SJS's and redirected it to their website?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Cycling UK is a rather bland name. Easily confused with British Cycling, yes, but not conveying anything in terms of interests and intents. It is free of associations and emotional values.

And,dare I say it,tradition of the oldest national cycling "CLUB",as was....
W H Auden
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

reohn2 wrote:

A very Ordinary #6 :wink:
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

reohn2 wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:Cycling UK is a rather bland name. Easily confused with British Cycling, yes, but not conveying anything in terms of interests and intents. It is free of associations and emotional values.

And,dare I say it,tradition of the oldest national cycling "CLUB",as was....

IIRC the CTC started out focussing on accommodation for touring cyclists Perhaps we should get back to the CTC's historical routes and rename it CycleTripAdvisor :wink: