'Refreshing the brand' . . . . . .

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
mjr

Re: So - is 'refresh the brand'

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I'm already not particularly happy with the CTC, mainly because of the conversion to a "charity" status. As I'm getting a discount for not being employed, I may carry on. No sure, but I may do. Other option is to join BC.

BC is cheaper for most than CTC, more visible and about as democratic AFAICT. It has recently claimed to have more members than CTC. The lack of reaction from CTC is surprising.

CycleNation groups are often even cheaper than BC, but our coverage is far from national yet. Nationally, CN has a collaboration agreement with CTC, but we were insulted as people who wear "false beards" on a recent CTC "blog" (it's not a good blog because it doesn't allow proper reader responses) http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/suzanne-foru ... nce-report - rather disappointing to see. :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:I'm already not particularly happy with the CTC, mainly because of the conversion to a "charity" status. As I'm getting a discount for not being employed, I may carry on. No sure, but I may do. Other option is to join BC.

BC is cheaper for most than CTC, more visible and about as democratic AFAICT. It has recently claimed to have more members than CTC. The lack of reaction from CTC is surprising.

CycleNation groups are often even cheaper than BC, but our coverage is far from national yet. Nationally, CN has a collaboration agreement with CTC, but we were insulted as people who wear "false beards" on a recent CTC "blog" (it's not a good blog because it doesn't allow proper reader responses) http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/suzanne-foru ... nce-report - rather disappointing to see. :-(

Eh? She is saying that she herself (rather than anyone from Cyclenation or CTC) should have been wearing a false beard, because she was not there as a member/campaigner but as an employee. How is that insulting anyone? It might not be a very good joke but it's aimed at her, no-one else.
John Catt

Post by John Catt »

mjr wrote: Nationally, CN has a collaboration agreement with CTC, but we were insulted as people who wear "false beards" on a recent CTC "blog" (it's not a good blog because it doesn't allow proper reader responses) http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/suzanne-foru ... nce-report - rather disappointing to see. :-(

I was there as both a CTC member and Campaign Group member along with lots of CTC Right to Ride members. We are all campaigners, so I'm pretty certain that it was a light hearted comment rather than an insult directed at cyclenation.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there :shock: , Bet some of the "Narrow Minded" think it should revert to "The Bicycle Touring Club"! Then the previous strapline -"Keeping You On Two Wheels" can creep back out of the woodwork?
Thus casting aside those who ride Unicycles & Tricycles to graze pastures new!!!! :twisted:

Thought this should be a "Red Letter" Day. TTFN MM
drossall

Post by drossall »

mjr wrote:... we were insulted as people who wear "false beards" on a recent CTC "blog"...

Another who thinks you've missed the point of that quote, I'm afraid.

She's trying to indicate the stereotype, suggesting that she may have gone along to the conference expecting a load of bearded nerds (although in reality I'm sure she didn't), and her experience of the event quickly dispelled this image anyway.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

CTC: Christophe Toe Clips.
:wink:
nez

Post by nez »

Why were they called ratraps, oh knowledgable one? Or was that just a cockanee solecism?

Re the original point - definitely didn't look like an insult to me.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Because they are smaller and less spiky than bear trap pedals :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

Loads of people wanting to defend calling cycle nation members people with false beards, but no more opinions on the brand refresh idea or what CTC should be doing?

Whatever happened with the survey linked back on page one?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

There are two threads on this subject. On the other Si speculates that a change of staff, which I take to mean the departure of Gordon Seabright, may have affected the pace of the project.

Presumably Paul Tuohy will be making some assessment of the survey results, focus group meetings, etc. Perhaps the new CEO will have some refreshing views on the direction things should take.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

http://s902.photobucket.com/user/KarenSutton_photos/media/CTCshirt.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

It seems the Winged Wheel and the name "Cyclists' Touring Club" have not been dumped by CTC. At the Birthday Rides this month CTC Holidays & Tours were selling yellow T shirts with a blue design on consisting of the Winged Wheel with "Cyclists Touring Club" underneath then the strapline "We were cycling before it was cool." Sadly I didn't get around to buying one in time but my son did. I asked if they would be available online but was told no. It seems they won't make an appearance until next year's Birthday Rides. It must be something they have produced just for "Cyclists' Touring Club" events, and perhaps the Birthday Rides is the only such event left?
Flite

Post by Flite »

Going even further of topic, does anyone know dates and location for next year's Birthday Rides, please.
Hoping to go next year, for the first time, but need to get it into my schedule soon.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

British Cycling is now claiming to have 100,000 members, how does CTC membership compare? BC has a much larger profile than CTC because of its presence at the Tour of Britain etc and the success of Bradley & Co.

Is CTC aiming at the same riders or should it re-focus its attentions on those who are not sport (or sportive) minded and become a cycling club again. BC is certainly cheaper to join than CTC and that can be an attraction in itself.
puffer35

Post by puffer35 »

British Cycling may claim to have that number of members at present, however, how many of those current members will renew their membership after a year or two?
I would suggest that their renewal rates are somewhat lower than their claimed membership figures may give the impression.
I joined BC but quickly discovered that unless you competed on a regular basis they were not interested and this was repeated in the local BC affiliated club.
I was also told that unless I could ride for at least 3 hours at a time at a minimum of 15mph then I was not welcome!
However, I have now found that a similar tone is adopted by certain group riders in the local CTC group i.e. "if you can't keep up with the fastest then please do not come on our rides"!
Otherwise I find that CTC reflects my interests in cycling as a pastime and not a religion.
I would suggest that CTC is missing a trick or two and should "re-focus it's attentions on those who are not sport (or sportive) minded and become a cycling club". Encouraging cyclists, particularly those folks who have returned to the pastime following retirement and are perhaps not quite as athletic as they once were, would probably result in more members.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

puffer35 wrote:British Cycling ...
I was also told that unless I could ride for at least 3 hours at a time at a minimum of 15mph then I was not welcome!
However, I have now found that a similar tone is adopted by certain group riders in the local CTC group i.e. "if you can't keep up with the fastest then please do not come on our rides"!
Otherwise I find that CTC reflects my interests in cycling as a pastime and not a religion.
I would suggest that CTC is missing a trick or two and should "re-focus it's attentions on those who are not sport (or sportive) minded and become a cycling club". Encouraging cyclists, particularly those folks who have returned to the pastime following retirement and are perhaps not quite as athletic as they once were, would probably result in more members.

Whilst I've not been on any CTC group rides (I like cycling the lanes alone), I believe that the different local groups vary - probably depending on their membership and the ride organisers ? I'm midway between two groups and one organises two rides per week (on different set days), e.g. the Sun ride is shorter and slower whilst e.g. the Wed ride is longer and faster. Which sounds like a good plan as it provides for a wider range of people. The other group has no set pattern but their schedule is such that some rides are shorter/slower whilst other rides are longer/faster and these are clearly identified in their schedule. Again, accommodating a wide range of cyclists.

So focusing attentions on non-sport/non-sportive minded is probably something some groups are already doing whilst from you comment I assume not all.

Ian