It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Edwards

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Post by Edwards »

JohnW wrote:
Si wrote:But you don't have to pay to go on the Sky rides, whereas with the CTC rides you have to pay and you have to give them your details too!

True - you don't have to pay to go on a SKY ride, but (following my previous post) you should have seen the details they wanted to enable me to join this social network site thing that I had to join for the only SKY ride I've ever thought of riding.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not decrying SKY rides, but I wouldn't want you to put your own club down.

This made me wonder what details are wanted for a CTC taster ride (free)?
Are they the same as a Sky ride?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I liked the comment in the latest Cycle magazine from the new CTC member interview who basically said that it's crazy that the CTC aren't using the winged wheel logo.

Roughly speaking, it seems that both old and young want the winged wheel.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

It seems that when it went to a vote at the AGM the Winged Wheel lost.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Karen Sutton wrote:It seems that when it went to a vote at the AGM the Winged Wheel lost.

Was it lost by virtue of the chairman casting all the votes vested in him?
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

JohnW wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:It seems that when it went to a vote at the AGM the Winged Wheel lost.

Please get your facts correct, voting for the wing wheel was at the AGM at Northallerton.
Proxy was introduced many years after that agm.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Philip Benstead wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Please get your facts correct, voting for the wing wheel was at the AGM at Northallerton.
Proxy was introduced many years after that agm.

It was only a question Philip - I'm sorry asked it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

And when was postal and online voting introduced, so people who preferred being out cycle touring to sitting in annual meetings could vote?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

mjr wrote:And when was postal and online voting introduced, so people who preferred being out cycle touring to sitting in annual meetings could vote?

I believe at The 2010 CTC AGM on Saturday 15th May in Loughborough in Leicestershire
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

John W wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From today's Radio Times (9-15 Aug 2014) on the significance of RideLondon:

It's the sporting success that's created this interest, but my priority is trying to make people see cycling as a means of transport. That's the thing I'm most passionate about.

Seeing something on the scale of RideLondon is an impetus for change. It puts pressure on politicians to make cycling more accessible. It infuriates me that it's so hard to get the government to fund and prioritise something that has no downside. Instead, we're building more roads while car traffic's dropping It's ridiculous.

And on making cycling "safer for families":

The logical thing is to make cycling and walking your preferred transport. You make sure that streets prioritise people over vehicles. You legislate and fund accordingly. Walking, cycling, public transport, taxis, private cars in that order. At the moment it's almost totally the other way round. It's not logical or sustainable.

That's from Chris Boardman, described not only as "policy advisor for British Cycling" but also "agitator-in-chief when it comes to challenging the government to do more to promote cycling."

He gets my vote, especially for making no mention of segregation.
Blindcrake

Post by Blindcrake »

FWIW - I agree that it's very difficult to be both the Cycle Touring Club and the National Cycling Charity.
At the moment I'm not a touring cyclist but am actively looking for a body to represent me. I suppose the next step is to decide if CTC wants to represent one, the other, or both groups.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Blindcrake wrote:FWIW - I agree that it's very difficult to be both the Cycle Touring Club and the National Cycling Charity.
At the moment I'm not a touring cyclist but am actively looking for a body to represent me. I suppose the next step is to decide if CTC wants to represent one, the other, or both groups.

The fact is that CTC campaigns - not specially for more cyclists, but for safety for cyclists - for our right to ride. It's frustrating because Highway Authorities treat cyclists with sheer contempt, but councils' publicists tell us all about their desire to increase cycling journeys, and to support cyclists who ride on off-road facilities whereas councils' support for off-road and safe on-road facilities is conspicuous by it's absence.

Supporting things like Sky-Rides is good, but it merely teaches potential cyclists to be responsible for their own safety (and to keep out of the way of the really important people - i.e. motorists), but you just try to get highway authorities really, actively interested in safe designs and facilities for cyclists............you just try.

Well, CTC does try.
Philip Benstead

Blindcrake wrote:FWIW - At the moment I'm not a touring cyclist but am actively looking for a body to represent me.

What do you mean by "for a body to represent me" ?
Last edited by Graham on 13 Nov 2014, 8:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typos
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Philip Benstead wrote:
Blindcrake wrote:FWIW - At the moment I'm not a touring cyclist but am actively looking for a body to represent me.

Or put another way.Is the CTC a body that represent cyclists or a 'charity' that's been bought by it's pay masters(which aren't it's inconsequential members)?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Philip Benstead

reohn2 wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:

Or put another way.Is the CTC a body that represent cyclists or a 'charity' that's been bought by it's pay masters

Who are our paymaster?
(which aren't it's inconsequential members)?