Revolution series in Derby

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
roberts8

Revolution series in Derby

Post by roberts8 »

Maybe I have missed it but is the series on TV.
Looks like a good series with top names.
TrevA

Re: Revolution series in Derby

Post by TrevA »

Last year they showed the Revolution series on BT Sport, but often quite a while after they'd happened.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
RickH

Post by RickH »

TrevA wrote:Last year they showed the Revolution series on BT Sport, but often quite a while after they'd happened.

I think they were on BT Sport in 2013/14. IIRC last series (2014/15) they were on Channel 4 about a week after the event. I've not found any coverage so far of this year's series - shame :(

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

The Derby round wasn't televised, though the rest is, details a bit hidden on their website
http://www.cyclingrevolution.com/round- ... erage.html
RickH

Post by RickH »

I notice that the TV coverage has gone to Eurosport :(

I'll have to find out if my daughter has access as part of their TV package then I can watch it recorded when I babysit. If I want to pay I'd probably go & see the Manchester rounds live.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I recently signed up for the Eurosport player, £4.49 per month. I can watch it on my IPad or on my TV via mirroring through my Apple TV box. Quite a bit cheaper than paying £30 a month for Sky.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

EMT(East Midlands Today)recently reported that Derby City Council were discussing plans to sell off this velodrome. I'm not sure how the process works: GB decides to invite Olympics to UK(lottsa £££ spent),Chief Honcho Mr Clean!! Seb Coe leads the team. Contract won, Derby City Council decides it will spend locals £££ on a vanity project to...promote,endorse,reflect(herein 350 pages of vacuous piffle)...End result(not scientifically evaluated)30 cyclists going round a track occasionally visited by 2,000 spectators x2 a year. Millions spent,basically a loss maker. After it becomes clear attendances are low and doesn't make any £££,sell off(at loss)to nebulous focus driven sports directive company(accounts and management unknown and unknowable). This firm somehow makes money(for its board)but loses money. Company nosedives,velodrome becomes a financial and architectural mess/eyesore,Derby residents then pay more to have it knocked down. Somehow, someone, somewhere makes £££ out of it,BUT NOT the city residents. I'm unsure of the algebraic expression but from my occasional visits to Derby and asking after this 'establishment' with the locals it must include a lotta 'f' words and swearing and the like. Maybe my survey didn't include cyclists! I think Clarkson went to school at Repton(near Derby)!

As an aside,and as a pub story,I well remember working in 'rehab'. Herein we had one of the most advanced woodworking and progressive woodturning lathe orientated workshops in the county. I never did understand all what it entailed. It was overseen by some 'master craftsman' himself qualified in X,Y,Z. Incredible! Incomparable! It was that bespoke and detailed...that no one(no client) was ever allowed into its room! 'Don' was the only qualified person to oversee it,and he was never there! Chippendale would not have qualified to get into that workshop! It closed some years ago!
PH

Post by PH »

The council are considering handing over all three of Derby’s leisure centres to a trust or privatising them. This is a cost saving exercise and it's said a trust or private company would be in a better position to apply for grants and be at an advantage tax wise. I hope they don’t do it, but I understand the need to save money. IMO there is a need for leisure along with arts to be locally run for the benefit of local communities.
Derby Arena it isn’t just a velodrome, it’s also a 5,000 capacity venue, a gym and meeting place. The velodrome is very well used, by both locals and those out of the area. I’m not sure how well the other facilities are used though I hear the gym is busy. The Arena currently has a pantomime showing and it’s early days but should be better utilised, Derby has no other similar sized venue. It's in an ideal location, a short walk to the train station, not much further into the city centre, on a cycle route, has good bus links and is next to the large Park & Ride car park.
The Arena was built at a cost of 28 million, it has replaced another Leisure Centre that was well passed it’s sell by date. The plans for that site have changed after the proposed new City centre swimming pool were abandoned. At some point there is likely to be a sale of some land (Prime housing location) which will recoup some of the Arena cost. The subsidy the Arena receives towards running cost is I understand no more than that received by the centre it replaced.
Vanity project? Whose?? The Arena was proposed when the council was a Con/Lib coalition and reviewed when the council became Labour run.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Hi PH. Erm...the same vanity project that has just 1(?)Olympics making £££,the rest made up by 'the silent majority' who 'the media have' are gasping for it(the Olympics this time). 'Labour/Conservative/Liberal voted for it'. That's why everyone's leaving these parties and has no faith in them or their 'esteemed leaders' anymore. The public have lost belief in 'their betters'

I am not quite sure where you got your figures from. Maybe the parties and advocates for this venture!? You may be right! I hope I am wrong. I am told we have won the war in Afghanistan,the armed services are above reproach on torture and rendition. I am told many wonderful things by those 'in government'. My own (very limited)experience is usually completely the opposite. Usually,somewhere down the road(20-30 years)the truth comes out. If there is an apology by those governing us 'on our behalf' and 'they've got it wrong' and 'found to have got it wrong',it's usually very weak. If someone is going to be called to account its usually well past their sell-buy date. Compo? Recompense? To those adversely affected? Usually none,or like the Kenyan tortured citizens,when they are reduced to 3 at aged 90. Your 'critique' of my own take of this venture is well made. My survey was that of possibly 4 Derby residents! I would like to go through your 'riposte' line by line with evidence to validate my own claims. Unfortunately I haven't got a lifetime to do this,and unlike government or council bodies(or Spinmeisters),am not getting paid.

My 4 Derby residents! thought the arena 'a waste of money'. I hope I didn't self select them.

The arena was empty and idle when I looked in: more employees than participants or spectators.

From past press reports(from poor memory)the Olympics had no beneficial sports uptake by GB citizens. The £££ 'wasted there' might well have gone to the Derby Venue to support it's citizens and sports participation. At least then some of the capital might have been spread around the country.

I am a curmudgeon.