T.D.F

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
frank

T.D.F

Post by frank »

Thank god that is over. That is the most boring start to a tour i have ever seen. Rest day tommorow they have done nothing . roll on the mountains . or are they fixed also
cycleruk

Re: T.D.F

Post by cycleruk »

frank wrote:Thank god that is over. That is the most boring start to a tour i have ever seen. Rest day tomorrow they have done nothing . roll on the mountains . or are they fixed also

Boring? I must have been watching a different race then. :? :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Yes, someone must have a short memory. There was a time when pretty much all the first week was sprinters versus breakaway stuff. GC time gaps limited to the occasional windy day split into echelons. Though I do feel slightly sorry for the sprinters that they now have get relatively few classic bunch sprints. I think they are right to have introduced more varied terrain from the start but I've often thought it would also be good to split up the mountain days a bit more by having flat sprinters' stages inbetween which would probably allow for better racing amongst the climbers knowing that they can push to their limits without worrying about overdoing it and suffering the following day.
frank

Post by frank »

Come on tell me todays stage was not fixed
cycleruk

Re: T.D.F Spoiler? Monday 20th

Post by cycleruk »

Luckiest man on the tour - Geraint Thomas being shunted of course into a telegraph pole and down a drop. :shock: :(
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/t ... deo-183504

Managed to remount and finish the stage: :P
Interview:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33599075
You'll never know if you don't try it.
reohn2

Re: T.D.F Spoiler? Monday 20th

Post by reohn2 »

cycleruk wrote:Luckiest man on the tour - Geraint Thomas being shunted of course into a telegraph pole and down a drop. :shock: :(
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/t ... deo-183504

Managed to remount and finish the stage: :P
Interview:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33599075

Watched it and run it back a few times,hmmm :? ,Barguil was riding like a rank amateur on that bend,his line was all wrong speed was waayyy too fast on the approach, and as G said afterwards what was there to gain for Barguil coming in 5th or 3rd in the group :?
G's the mainstay of the Sky team support for Froome and is sixth @ 5minutes odd,the fact that he only lost 30seconds is a miracle itself.
It could've been disaster for Froome if G had been taken out with loosing Kennauch to illness today and the Alps just around the corner :shock: .
The term for Barguil I believe is 'plonker Bargers' :roll:

Quote of the day,when G was being checked out by the doctor for possible concussion,when asked his name he replied "Chris Froome".
I'll bet that got a laugh! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Baguio did also get knocked off course mere seconds before the corner - but he apologised.

His line was compromised because there were more people than fit on the racing line. The consequences were fairly predictable at that point.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Baguio did also get knocked off course mere seconds before the corner - but he apologised.

His line was compromised because there were more people than fit on the racing line. The consequences were fairly predictable at that point.

The are brakes on those bikes :roll:
And as G said there was no gain for anyone in that group,Barguil couldn't have jumped them,he'd shot his bolt earlier on the descent and couldn't make it stick.
Average legs,no head.

BTW let's not forget Steve Cummings' win the other day,went through the two Frenchmen like a dose of salts when they were both looking at one another,no catching Cummings with that kind of a jump,a great win for MTN Qubeka :)
W H Auden
mig

Post by mig »

what happened to the days when teams who had yellow in their kit changed it for the tour to keep the yellow jersey noticeable? both lotto and tinkoff have yellow in their kit. bring back the old days!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mig wrote:what happened to the days when teams who had yellow in their kit changed it for the tour to keep the yellow jersey noticeable? both lotto and tinkoff have yellow in their kit. bring back the old days!

I agree it can be confusing.
I remember ONCE having to change their kit to pink for the tour,and rightly so IMO,yellow is the leader no one in the race should be wearing it.
W H Auden
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

mig wrote:what happened to the days when teams who had yellow in their kit changed it for the tour to keep the yellow jersey noticeable? both lotto and tinkoff have yellow in their kit. bring back the old days!

The daft thing is, Lotto actually have changed their kit for the Tour. Some Tour official really should have said "nope, go back and try again"...