ITV4 Tour Coverage.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
old_windbag

Re: ITV4 Tour Coverage.

Post by old_windbag »

Its a brilliant track.... but they've made so much good music I'm glad I've lived in their era. Computer world as the theme for BBC's computer programme was top dollar ( the late Ian Macnaught-Davies and Chris Searle ). It was 6th form common room music along with joy division, yes and genesis. I've got a lot of their albums in tape form but should invest in some CD's as they're not too pricey nowadays.
jochta

Post by jochta »

"Putting the hammer down" - has re-appeared.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

landsurfer wrote:Could we please return to the lifting theme of the 1983 coverage. The bloody awful squeeze box, false France tune is annoying in the extreme!!!

I have the original Channel 4 Tour theme as my mobile ring tone. I downloaded it from YouTube some years ago (it's no longer there). It was part of a clip sequence with snips of commentary which I edited out. It's a great tune and I look forward to someone ringing me!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

You might like this then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RDKJ3fGxc

Meanwhile, back in 2015, it would be nice if ITV would actually put the highlights on catch-up before midnight. Sigh.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

jochta wrote:"Putting the hammer down" - has re-appeared.

To be fair to Phil and Paul, the man with the hammer has a long pedigree in the TdeF eg he often figured in Pellos cartoons such as this:

pellos pyr pic.jpg

=======================================================
Here's another:
MS n° 161C du 8 juillet 00009.jpg
MS n° 161C du 8 juillet 00009.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Last edited by thirdcrank on 16 Jul 2015, 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Meanwhile, back in 2015, it would be nice if ITV would actually put the highlights on catch-up before midnight. Sigh.

Yeah, I mean, how long can it take to reprocess 2Gb of broadcast show down to something like 700Mb and mirror it across a network of download servers while they're doing everything else? ;-) (Hint: it's simpler, faster and higher quality to timeshift the digital video broadcast stream if you can... but not cheaper if you don't already pay the TV tax.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

This is it .... listen to all of it ..... stuff the Gallic squeeze boxes !!!!

Search Youtube ... Tour de France Retro Channel 4 Theme Music1125

I'd just returned from my second tour in the Falklands and my lady had videoed the whole of the highlights programs for me ... bliss .
I got back on Christmas Eve 1983, 2 weeks on Sir Lancelot then a VC10 from Ascension to Brize .......

Misty eyes ......

And the video that accompanies it ..... breath taking...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

mjr wrote:Yeah, I mean, how long can it take to reprocess 2Gb of broadcast show down to something like 700Mb and mirror it across a network of download servers while they're doing everything else? ;-)

I think it depends which hamster they've put in the wheel that night. Sometimes it's online by 9pm. Last night I gave up and went to bed. (While my own server was processing several Gb of OSM routing data... ;) )
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I remember that tune well, I've been thinking of it today when on my bike... then I have read your post and did the search. The video shows lots of classic steel roadbikes. I never realised that C4 covered the tour so far back I think I've only watched it from 96/97ish. I distinctly remember sitting waiting for C4's first broadcast, a load of images of animals etc for 5-10mins followed by richard whiteley and countdown.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

old_windbag wrote:I remember that tune well,

I hear it everyday... it's my ringtone!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

landsurfer wrote:This is it .... listen to all of it ..... stuff the Gallic squeeze boxes !!!!

Search Youtube ... Tour de France Retro Channel 4 Theme Music1125

Is that Sherwin at 1:13?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Paulatic wrote:+1 for Ned & Millar
Millar is a lot more informative regarding tactics

Phil & Paul seem to spout a load of rubbish. Tonight was full of many examples. Quite a laugh listening to them in this house as we pick out the statements they will contradict within the next five minutes. and of course the usual mentioning of riders, with no hope or action at the time, from countries I reckon they must sell the program to.

Levi Leipheimer was always the perfect example of it. I used to count how many times they mentioned his name in every show. Most of the time he would be in the back of the peloton or five minutes back down the road but always got a mention.

It's a standing family joke in this house too that whenever either of that pair of charlies says who a rider is in a breakaway, or predicts what is going to happen next, they are always wrong. We also noticed that they seem to ignore some riders completely and never shut up about others, with no pattern that we can discern.
I found Millar's comments on the TdY very illuminating about both technical things and stuff about team working, very matter-of-fact and very informative, and I for one would prefer to have him doing it instead.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Bicycler wrote:In 2013 the phrase "23 year old Columbian climber" seemingly prefixed every mention of Nairo Quintana along with the daily repetition of some trivial story about how he used to ride miles uphill to school. I had my leg in plaster at the time and saw pretty much all the televised live coverage of that race. Through no fault of his own poor Nairo had me wishing he'd have to abandon so I didn't have to hear it every day all the way to Paris.

I also really enjoy hearing about which particular dates French châteaux were renovated. I get that it's an opportunity to publicise the area, so don't object to their mention but do we really need the dull details? Does the fact that there was a fire in 1927 and a renovation in 1933 really entice the tourists?

I wish someone would stop whoever-it-is saying X 'years of age' rather than 'years old'. Once is a novelty, twice is just odd, but all the time and it sets my teeth on edge.

(I see I'm not the only one who this darned phrase winds up, having read more posts.)
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Flinders wrote:
I wish someone would stop whoever-it-is saying X 'years of age' rather than 'years old'. Once is a novelty, twice is just odd, but all the time and it sets my teeth on edge.

(I see I'm not the only one who this darned phrase winds up, having read more posts.)

It's pandemic, really annoying.
Yesterday all PS was repeating (ad nauseum) was regarding tyre pressures, kept 'telling' PL constantly, then he gets it in his head he has to constantly repeat which town Qintana is from in that dodgy inflection he has to put on almost every 'foreign' word.
Today's PS theme was how sticky the tarmac is and the supposed huge impact it was having on the peloton :roll:

He's getting bloody annoying and is spoiling it, we have a similar type on the rugby league commentary, an ex pro who just runs out the same old crud every game, it's absolutely dire!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I find Tanya Arnold with her baritone voice on the super league show strangely alluring.....

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/G9zhCDPnnvo/maxresdefault.jpg

I must seek therapy.... :)

On the cycling front I think it was during last years tour of britain, Hugh Porter made a comment to Brian Smith and there was a horrible silence followed by an apology from Hugh Porter. I felt some sort of boundary had been crossed, it seemed like a joke that fell flat with Mr Smith.