Tour de Yorkshire

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Valbrona

Tour de Yorkshire

Post by Valbrona »

Yes ... great. But the name of the race sucks. Come on ASO ... this is Britain and it should be the Tour of Yorkshire.
I should coco.
mjr

Re: Tour de Yorkshire

Post by mjr »

Bit silly timing too. May day bank holiday weekend is just so full of events. If I could be in three places at once, I'd still not be able to visit all the events that I'd like to. (Come join me on Saturday's Lynnsport to Hunstanton charity ride in wellies raising money for RNLI or Monday's Cambridge to Reach Ride!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gottogetfit

Post by gottogetfit »

I was a bit disappointed with the coverage on the the telly. I was at the start in Selby and hope to see a good deal of the race when I got home. It seems the world starts & ends in York. I should have watched it on the big screen in Selby & seen the whole race.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Anyone know where the attached wind turbine is? From the commentary it's somewhere near the Cote de Goose Eye (Oakworth / Laycock ?)...
Attachments
YorkshireMillBeforeGooseye.jpg
"42"
John-D

Post by John-D »

squeaker wrote:Anyone know where the attached wind turbine is? From the commentary it's somewhere near the Cote de Goose Eye (Oakworth / Laycock ?)...

It looks like the one on the hillside overlooking Haworth. The peleton is on Hebden Road.

OS Map.jpg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think John-D is right. There have been various contentious applications to install turbines in the area but I think the one at Haworth Brow is the only one in place. It's been there a while and dominates the town. There is a complete wind farm of a couple of dozen turbines at Ovenden but no risk of confusion with a single one.

I'd not rely too much on the commentary - some of it confused me. At one point the caption (and there weren't many) was saying Sutton-in-Craven when the riders were climbing Priest Bank Road at Kildwick. That's not a criticism, BTW.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cheers guys.
Appreciate the local knowledge :)
"42"
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

I missed the TdF last year (or at least, I didn't see it live, although I was glued to the telly) but me and the family watched the finish of Stage 1 in Scarborough, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mrs G got very excited by Sir Bradley's presence, but inexplicably turned down my offer to wear my cycling kit around the house whenever she asks. The next day I had a go at riding a bit of stage 1, and although it was very beautiful I think it's safe to say I won't be turning pro just yet. Few pictures on the blog: http://thelangsett.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/the-tour-de-yorkshire.html

Very much hope its earned its place as an annual event. As with the TdF last year, it was brilliant seeing all of Yorkshire getting behind it. And the route was a little gem...
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I enjoyed Millar's explanations, lots of stuff I didn't know, and very measured and sensible about how teams and individuals work together. I wish they'd get him doing the TdF as the current in-race commentators for that are awful IMHO.