Don't forget you know who - Sunday

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
nicmarsh

Don't forget you know who - Sunday

Post by nicmarsh »

Don't forget Bradley Wiggins rides Paris-Roubaix on Sunday and he wants to win (apparently) . Get your ride in early then its gotta be worth sitting in front of the TV for a few hours whatever he does.
Spinners

Re: Don't forget you know who - Sunday

Post by Spinners »

Agreed. I love this race and look forward to it more than I do Christmas Day.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Any chance its available on freeview.

Brad will have to come to terms that he will not always get what he wants I think.
All his eggs in Olympics 2016
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

I believe this is very targetted.....is putting all his road and sky eggs in this one, so in itself should become an interesting study in that egg / basket approach, especially being Roubaix.

It's on Eurosport , not free view as far as I know . But it may be worth scanning Internet for free feeds , though they may not be trustworthy sites?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Any chance its available on freeview.

Not according to the Radio Times but I've previously watched it online via links from

http://www.cyclingfans.com/

I think ITV4 have also shown highlights a few days later but I'm not too sure about this year.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
nez

Post by nez »

We're going, as we have the last couple of years. It's a fun weekend
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

it would be good to know your weekend plans and how easy or not it is to do..... may try next year.
nez

Post by nez »

It's an hours drive from Calais. We just get a chunnel ticket, stop in Calais for the night then blast down to Arenberg trench first thing in the morning. The first time we did it we didn't even get an hotel just did it as a long day trip. You park where you can in Wallers and the place is en fete, with stalls and food and a sort of United nations of supporters. Ditto Carrefour des arbres. Most of that part of France and Belgium is easily accessible. I have a dream of having a month off one year and seeing them all - tour of Flanders, four days of Dunkirk, gent wevelgem, the works.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

A friend mentioned cycling.tv as a possible source, I haven't checked it yet though. If only I could find a pub showing it!!!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Ah, that website appears to be subscription :(

Any other ideas where I might be able to watch it?!

I'm in Stockport and can bring quality beer and/or coffee if anyone's offering! [emoji8]
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

take a look at steephill tv
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Cheers Nick, I was on there earlier but nothing seemed to be available - guessing Eurosport are pretty hot on blocking out any competition [emoji19]
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

elPedro666 wrote: ... - guessing Eurosport are pretty hot on blocking out any competition [emoji19]

The ads certainly block out a lot of the cycling.

I used to be Eurosport addict when it was on Freeview and the shift to Sky meant I had a lot more time for other things.

I've been house-sitting for the last couple of weeks with Sky available. I watched the Tour of Flanders all day last Sunday with increasing frustration at all the ad breaks. Yesterday, I decided to waste less time so I just watched the evening programme. There seemed to be even more ads, inserted without any consideration for the racing action. (Do advertisers believe that paying to irritate viewers is the way to go?)

Eurosport also seem to find it impossible to get a commentator who (a) can work out what's going on and (b) can get the best out of Sean Kelly who has huge knowledge but which needs drawing out.

One example from yesterday: after part of the race was held up by the level crossing, a commissaire (the pillion passenger dressed in red) could clearly be seen instructing the front part of the bunch to wait for the second part which had been held up. That was described by the commentator (sorry - I don't know his name) as some sort of sporting gesture by the riders. Come back Duffers. All is forgiven.
nez

Post by nez »

Absolutely right. The coverage is weak, but it's what we have. Can I recommend an iPad. I Watch yoorosport while I'm in the shed fettling, in the kitchen baking bread etc etc. We were in the Arenberg this w/e. Fantastic atmosphere, crowd bigger than we'd seen before, brilliant sunshine. It was one of those days to put in the bank for when you're miserable. I found myself listening to an Aussie and a county Frenchman at the same time - linguistically challenging but I wonder if there is any single day event which brings so many nationalities together.
nez

Post by nez »

Country not county. Was writing on my iPad!