'Mandela Day' Jersey In Tour de France?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Valbrona

'Mandela Day' Jersey In Tour de France?

Post by Valbrona »

MTN-Qhubeka Team Manager Brian Smith wants his riders to be allowed to wear a special 'Mandela Day' jersey in the Tour de France:

“Especially having Mandela Day on July 18 – if the ASO allow us to wear a special jersey then that will be special and another great day for everyone associated with us.”

Read more at http://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/intervi ... tYEkLUb.99

How wonderful.

I have always been of the opinion that politics should be kept out of sport.
I should coco.
Cunobelin

Re: 'Mandela Day' Jersey In Tour de France?

Post by Cunobelin »

Firstly let me make my position clear... this is not about Mandela, South Africa, the demise of Apartheid or the rise of equality... it is about the introduction of special strips for specific days or events.

It is a difficult one, especially as there is a "Hierarchy" of celebratory days

Should an Irish rider be allowed to commemorate the Battle of the Boyne which is unique to a group of Irish, but not a recognised national Public Holiday

Bastille Day celebration has a better argument in that it is a nationally recognised Public Holiday, but is still unique to the French

Mandela Day is however a formal "International Day and therefore not unique to one particular group or country, in theory being an international celebration. There is a stronger argument because of this.

So let us (for a moment) allow a Mandela Day shirt to be worn because it is a UN declared "International Day".... and look at the issues that would raise

World Population Day also falls within the Tour's dates ..... If we allow Mandela Day, then on the same grounds teams wishing to wear a special strip for this event should also be allowed.

Then we also have on the opening day of the Tour the International Day of Cooperatives, again this would have an equal "right" to be celebrated and team strips changed

... and that is also before we look at the international mix that is professional cycling........ is it just teams or can individuals participate?

If the South African team wear a Mandela strip, should a South African member of another team also be allowed to wear that strip as well?
Then we could ask whether a non South African member of another team who supports Mandela Day be allowed to wear a specific strip?

My personal opinion is that it would become too complex and the strips could be kept to the standard

Riders can be free (outside sponsorship commitments) to show solidarity by wearing wrist bands, or there can be small (or even large) logos on a strip to promote a charity

Surely this would be a better way forward?