Inclusion of African Based Team in TdF

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Valbrona

Inclusion of African Based Team in TdF

Post by Valbrona »

It is only January and the media can't stop talking about the Tour de France on account of the inclusion of an African-based team comprising some African riders. The media that do not like the sport of cycling because it is 'too white' will be pleased no end. We might even see some of this years Tour de France on terrestrial TV on account of the inclusion of MTN-Qhubeka.
Last edited by Valbrona on 15 Jan 2015, 3:46am, edited 2 times in total.
I should coco.
sjs

Re: Fawning Over Inclusion of African Team in TdF

Post by sjs »

Valbrona wrote:It is only January and the Marxist media can't stop talking about the Tour de France on account of the inclusion of an African-based team comprising some ethnic African riders. The Marxist-haters of the sport of cycling because it is 'too white' will be pleased no end. We might even see some of this years Tour de France on terrestrial TV on account of the inclusion of MTN-Qhubeka.

It's been on ITV4 for several years.
honesty

Post by honesty »

That's a lot of err.. anger... in one post. Do you hate the left wing media, Africans, Marxists, or people who hate cycling sports? I cant really tell.

I've seen one article in I think the Indy (could have been the guardian, ot pinged in my twitter feed) wouldn't really say that's then not stopping talking about them...
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm glad they're there. Not because they're African but because Qhubeka help people get bikes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Valbrona

Re: Inclusion of African Team in TdF

Post by Valbrona »

Yes, it is great that a team based on the African continent has been included in the Tour. But over the years I look for reasons why cycling has made little appearance on terrestrial TV and I think one of the reasons is that it doesn't fit the media idea of an 'inclusive sport'.
I should coco.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Valbrona wrote:Yes, it is great that a team based on the African continent has been included in the Tour. But over the years I look for reasons why cycling has made little appearance on terrestrial TV and I think one of the reasons is that it doesn't fit the media idea of an 'inclusive sport'.

If the media cared, they'd ignore rowing. And golf.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
sjs

Post by sjs »

Vorpal wrote:If the media cared, they'd ignore rowing. And golf.

And darts.
GrumpyGit

Ausies in the TdF?

Post by GrumpyGit »

I've heard that there are plans to enter an Australian team in the TdF as soon as they can work out how to fit cleats to their flip-flops! :shock:
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
Vorpal

Re: Inclusion of African Based Team in TdF

Post by Vorpal »

I've been watching MTN Qhubeka in the Norwegian races, and I'd say they look quite good. I wish them well of the TdF.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There was some controversy over their strip though

They want to wear specific strip on "Mandela day" which is something that was refused
wahoofish

Post by wahoofish »

Good team. Qhubeka do a lot of good work .
[XAP]Bob

Re: Ausies in the TdF?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

GrumpyGit wrote:I've heard that there are plans to enter an Australian team in the TdF as soon as they can work out how to fit cleats to their flip-flops! :shock:

http://blog.centurycycles.com/2012/04/n ... -flip.html

:roll: :lol:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

Valbrona wrote:Yes, it is great that a team based on the African continent has been included in the Tour. But over the years I look for reasons why cycling has made little appearance on terrestrial TV and I think one of the reasons is that it doesn't fit the media idea of an 'inclusive sport'.

It's an expensive sport to televise compared to stadium based sports, in equipment & manpower. & IMHO other than the occasional spills (which the cameras are nearly always late for) rather boring to watch, (other than the scenery).
Plus you also need to address the matter of doping, which whether true or false is a stigma still firmly attached to the sport & very much to the tour?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tacascarow wrote:It's an expensive sport to televise compared to stadium based sports, in equipment & manpower. & IMHO other than the occasional spills (which the cameras are nearly always late for) rather boring to watch, (other than the scenery).

It's going to get cheaper, as small drones replace the manned helicopter/plane cameras/relays. They're being used for amateur races (recorded online coverage only AFAIK) so I guess the extra power demand of the relay task might still be a problem.

Is it really expensive? Or is it just that the costs of wiring a stadium up for pictures is a pay-one/use-many deal, whereas cycling set-up costs has to be paid each event/series?

Plus you also need to address the matter of doping, which whether true or false is a stigma still firmly attached to the sport & very much to the tour?

I'm not sure that's unique to cycling. I feel there's a growing disquiet that it's not being talked about in coverage of many other sports... I hope that the recent Panorama might encourage more questions, but there's so many ex-pros involved in sports coverage that omerta will probably prevail again.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Hope you are not too traumatized
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!