World Time Trial chamionship (spoiler alert!)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Brucey

World Time Trial chamionship (spoiler alert!)

Post by Brucey »

In sunny (today, not like yesterday!) Ponfrerrada, the only chap who managed over 31mph on a rolling course was.....
(drum roll....)

Sir Bradley Wiggins!

He whomped Tony Martin into second place by over 26 seconds, and is the second ever British gold medallist (in the twenty years it has been run) at this championship.

Mission achieved!

He says it is his last one ever but who knows.

When interviewed he was asked how he felt; "I don't know what to say...." he said. Then he was asked what the first thing that went through his mind was this morning when he woke up.

In typical casual form he replied;

" the first thing that went through my mind this morning was that... I needed a wee..."

good ol' WIggo..... :lol:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Si

Re: World Time Trial chamionship (spoiler alert!)

Post by Si »

Good stuff, it's nice that he's managed to come back from a bit of a patchy year with one of his best results ever!
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Hope he carries that form into his hour attempt, he'd only need to go a little faster for a few more minutes.
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

3rd Brit if you include the women's race, Emma Pooley in 2010.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Awesome result as I thought Tony Martin was a nailed on cert. Did Dowsett have problems?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think Dowsett just said that he'd had an off day.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Shame nobody was flying the flag in the ladies' elite this year. Jo Rowsell has now joined Emma Pooley in criticising this (see http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/24/joanna-rowsell-criticises-british-cycling-womens-time-trial.

I'd be a lot happier with BC's stance if they'd put some numbers on it, and I find it hard to believe that an organisation as obsessed with measuring things as they are doesn't have them to hand. How much did it cost to send the road entrants and their support staff and their equipment to the Worlds, and what extra would have been required to send one more rider (say, Lucy Coldwell?) and one more bike to ride the Elite Women's TT?
And, while we're at it, how much were they prepared to spend on, say, XC mountain bike riders going to the Worlds in Norway earlier this year who might reasonably be described as not terribly likely to get a medal?

My interest in paying BC money and giving up my time to coach kids at a Go Ride club might not be piqued next year if they go on with arm-waving excuses like we've had so far.

But excellent ride from SBW!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...