Jens gets Hour record

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Jens gets Hour record

Post by [XAP]Bob »

"It was encouraging Jens went so fast. It set a marker, and it was good for the sport," added Wiggins.
"Someone had to do it first and now it's a realistic aim... not like the record Chris Boardman set 14 years ago!"

Does that rather imply that he thinks Boardman and Merckx were at the limit of human performance on that style of bike?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When Boardman set that mark, I think he was way past his best.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote:When Boardman set that mark, I think he was way past his best.

Yes, I agree.........but Boardman still set the record on the Eddy style bike spokes an all.

What will Wiggo be doing and on what :?:

I would like to see the next contenders do a Eddy bike , A today Jen's bike and anything else best human effort, in that order.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It seems silly having it set by whatever the current rules allow, their should be the standard bike, then the whatever is technologically possible record. How do they find the standard bike, do they have to use the same bearings and lubricants etc.?

Edit- As the rules for track bikes change, it makes it impossible to compare different records.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Postboxer wrote:It seems silly having it set by whatever the current rules allow, their should be the standard bike, then the whatever is technologically possible record. How do they find the standard bike, do they have to use the same bearings and lubricants etc.? ....

The gap between Mercx's record and Boardman's covers the period when Obree invented his "tuck" position riding a home-made bike, which they disqualified so he invented the "superman" position which was copied by Boardman and then, in turn disallowed. There was a strong feeling at the time, at least in the UK, that they simply wanted to give the record back to Mercx. (I remember a cartoon in the comic showing Boardman tackling the hour on a penny-farthing in wellington boots. :roll: )Towards the end of his career and not in the best of health IIRC, Boardman drummed up the determination to get the record back.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
How much do you think that a standard Eddy bike would cost today, plenty of old bikes knocking around even NOS / new stuff to build up one, you wouldnt have to train on it just set the parts up saddle etc, to the same as the real thing to train.

It does give a level playing field so you can compare and the difference can just be theorised on as better nutrition / training etc, :?:
Age of previous record holders :?:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

bearing improvements etc are a fact of life.

But the "spokes, drops and tubes" record should be held aloft as an inter-generational challenge.
The "current rules" record is there for any "current rules" - I'd even question the retrospective banning of positions (maybe have them recorded but "starred")

Then the "absolute" record is with the IHPVA - not even a close race with the UCI really...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

And don't forget to limit your athlete to pre-clipless shoes, a hairnet, whatever training and nutrition regimes etc., always use the same velodrome with comparable temperature and pressure etc.
The record became moribund by trying to compare everyone to EM, much better IMHO to have something current athletes are interested in, and if any of them wishes to don't "heritage" clothes and use a "heritage" bike, who's stopping them?
In the meantime I see a 70 year old chap has got another age-bracket Hour Record with the new rules. We've had 4 (100+, 80+, 70-74 & Jens) in the last year, after nothing for ages. I can't see that as a problem.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'm not going to shame myself by checking what records they set.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Matthias Brändle trying to beat it tomorrow, http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/page/hour-record
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Bad news for Jens, well done Matthias Brandle, 51.852km, beating Jens' 51.115km.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The Regs are bound to have changed between the two attempts, so Jens's record will stand for ever, I'm sure :)
honesty

Post by honesty »

Nope. the regs have been clarified before Jens did it, which is why everyone is interested in doing the record again.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
But nobody wants to do it the Merckx way............

Even Boardman did it that way second time :?:

Thats funny because I am sure that Boardman did it on a Merckx bike :? I remember the Documentry, I specificlly remember that he had to use flat rims :?:

"All records since 1972, including Boardman's 56.375 km (35.030 mi) in 1996, were downgraded to Best Human Effort. In 2000, Boardman attempted the UCI record on a traditional bike, and rode 49.441 km (30.721 mi), topping Merckx by 10 m (32.8 ft), an improvement of 0.02%."

I am sure Boardman had a steel frame too :?:
In my eyes Boardman was the last on traditional bike............

Note: Type of record: (a) UCI unified record (from 2014), (b) UCI hour record (until 2014), (c) UCI best human effort (1972–2014).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Another obvious problem to using vintage kit is that when the original records were set on it the bikes were state of the (then) art and what the athletes would be used to using them in their Day Jobs. Unlearning what you know about how to get the best out your modern bike would put an unfair overhead on a current athlete.

By all means do it on a Merckx bike, but the Cannibal has an unfair advantage over you if you do (on top of his fair-enough advantages!).

You just can't completely compare like with like. Life's not that simple.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...