Jens gets Hour record

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
WrightsW5

Jens gets Hour record

Post by WrightsW5 »

Brucey

Re: Jens gets Hour record

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They're allowing tri bars now?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
honesty

Post by honesty »

UCI clarified the rules, they are allowed to use full TT bikes.
mig

Post by mig »

i have always loved the hour record (tho' never had a bash yet myself!)

i've never quite understood the concept of finishing the last lap though and the calculation the it entails. is it just average speed over a full number of laps?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Doesn't just get, smashes would be appropriate, I think. A fitting end to a career.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've just reread some of the rule changes, and I thought they were reinstating the efforts by Obree and Boardman, yet Boardman did 56k - so surely his is still "the hour record".

In mid 2014 the UCI decided to create the 'Unified Record,' scrapping the two existing records and effectively relegitimising Obree and Boardman's earlier attempts in the 1990s, however the record to beat would still stand with Sosenka's 2005 effort. The new ruling meant that riders no longer had to use bikes akin to Merckx's, but could now use modern pursuit style bikes with tri bars, disc wheels and aero frames. Fabian Cancellara, Bradley Wiggins and Tony Martin all expressed interest in attempting the Hour since the rule changed.

Of course the true "best human effort" is over 90km...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bonefishblues wrote:Doesn't just get, smashes would be appropriate, I think. A fitting end to a career.

We all like Jens (i thought it was Yens meself) but I dont know why he did it.
If I did it tomorrow they it would have to be what the UCI laid down with Eddy's bike.

Poor old Jens is not on the same list as Merkcx and Boardman, Wired wheels, I.M.O.

Others too come soon...........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

No, that's fair comment, but it's nice for him to have held something like that, and even more so since he's a billionty-seven years old, at least :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I like old Jens really I do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record

(XAB)Bob I think Boardman was rejected on saddle position etc,
You stand on the left I will stand on the right and the boys can squeeze between us :) Excepting that UCI still holds the tin of Tacks :?

"In 1993 and 1994, Graeme Obree, a Scot who built his own bikes, posted two records with his hands tucked under his chest. In 1996, Boardman set a record using another position pioneered by Obree, his arms out in front in a Superman position. Both were considered controversial by the UCI, and while the records were allowed to stand, the positions were banned. Obree and Boardman made several attempts to top the previous record"

"In 2005 Ondřej Sosenka improved Boardman's performance at 49.700 km (30.882 mi) using a 54×13 gear. At 200 cm (6 ft 6¾ in) tall, Sosenka used an unusual saddle position and a small vertical frame height to stay within UCI regulations.[2] Sosenka failed a doping control in 2001 and then again in 2008, the latter resulting in a career ending in suspension which puts in doubt the validity of his record."

Jens / Moser -

"In January 1984, Moser set two records, the second being 51.151 km (31.784 mi). This was the first noted use of disc wheels, which provided aerodynamic benefit."

"Following the change in the rules, German Jens Voigt became the first rider to attempt the hour, on 18 September 2014 at the Velodrome Suisse, Grenchen, Switzerland.[7][8] He set a new record of 51.115 km, beating the previous record set by Sosenka by 1.4 km."
Attachments
2014-09-19_113332.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:We all like Jens (i thought it was Yens meself) but I dont know why he did it.

German, a 'j' usually comes out as we would say a 'y'.

Why did he do it? My guess is that best of all reasons to do things like this... because he could!

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Poor old Jens is not on the same list as Merkcx and Boardman, Wired wheels, I.M.O.

For some values of "poor" and "old", that is. A great way to end a distinguished career. He's acknowledged it won't last for long, but he did it anyway, so good on him. He had enormous respect from me before, but he has even more now. The legs shut up, and the spotlight is now back on the Hour after too long in the shade caused by misbegotten rules revisions.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:(XAB)Bob I think Boardman was rejected on saddle position etc,

Yes but the above quote (from one of the newspapers) looked as if they were reinstating those, but not putting them forward as records to be broken, which was odd. A deeper (and cycling specific) article is more complete:

The UCI killed off interest in the Hour Record in 2000 when they ruled that any attempts had to be done using a tradition bike, much like the one used by Eddy Merckx in 1972. That stifled innovation and cancelled records set by Graeme Obree and Chris Boardman, who set the record using the Superman aerodynamic position.

Under the new rules, anyone attempting the Hour Record will have to use a bike that complies with rules for endurance competition on the track. This means that aero bars, disc wheels and aero helmets will be allowed.

The UCI had back dated its record books, ruling that Eddy Merckx's record of 49.431km in 1972 and Cornelia Van Oosten-Hage women's record of 43.083km set in 1978, are legal Hour Records. All records established since then with non-conforming bikes, including the records of Chris Boardman (56.375km) and Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (48.159km) in 1996, receive the new name of “Best hour performance”.

Under the new rules, the Hour Records to beat are those established by Ondrej Sosenka (49.700km) for men and by Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (46.065km) for women. These two athletes beat the Hour record using equipment which is still within the regulations currently applicable to track endurance events.

So the records which were set on what would now be considered legal are allowed, not those not set on 2014 track bikes.
It's a completely arbitrary standard now, not allowing the inter generational battle which it could/should be. I hope they retain a "classic" record as "the" hour, and run a second set as a "modern" hour record. Leave the real freedom, and the absolute hour record to the IHPVA.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Proper hour record!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Proper Hour Record 5 Sept 2014.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

Well done Jens, proper hero!