Road Closed for TdF - what does it actually mean?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Steve922

Road Closed for TdF - what does it actually mean?

Post by Steve922 »

On the road from Holmfirth to the summit of Holme Moss, I see it is announced that the road will be closed next Sunday from early morning until early evening. What does that actually mean?

I assume motor traffic will not be allowed to enter the road from either end during those hours but what about walkers, cyclists, disability scooters, etc.
And will we be able to travel up there at 4 a.m. to park up and wait near the top?

I can find quite a lot of info on the Internet but its all not very clear and the above questions are not answered anywhere. I've found a few quotes saying 'I would think that....' or 'Well, probably....' and things like that but does anyone actually know for sure?
Steve922

Re: Road Closed for TdF - what does it actually mean?

Post by Steve922 »

Thanks for the link. That gives some information about cycling on the day but I can't find anything about car access, parking, overnight, etc.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Steve922 wrote:Thanks for the link. That gives some information about cycling on the day but I can't find anything about car access, parking, overnight, etc.

You can't park on the route as far as I know. When I cycled it there were signs warning that any parked vehicles will be towed away. As for parking, it's tricky, I don't think there's an official list as such, especially if like myself you're planning to park up some miles away and cycle in.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Holme Moss is closed from Friday evening to all motorised transport between Holme village and the A621. You will be able to cycle up until @ 12.30 shortly before the Tour caravan arrives.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
alkamid

Post by alkamid »

On the FAQ website it says:
You can ride on the stage 1 and 2 routes on race days.

What about Stage 3? I'd like to go from Cambridge do Chelmsford tomorrow in the morning. Can I ride it, provided that I'll reach Chelmsford by ~11:45?
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

alkamid wrote:On the FAQ website it says:
You can ride on the stage 1 and 2 routes on race days.

What about Stage 3? I'd like to go from Cambridge do Chelmsford tomorrow in the morning. Can I ride it, provided that I'll reach Chelmsford by ~11:45?

No - apparently roads are closed to all vehicles including bikes - in my bit of Essex the roads are closed from 07:00 to 17:00 :(