Giro...What No Mention Of Womens Tour ?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.

Giro...What No Mention Of Womens Tour ?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » Fri May 09, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi,
The media today were all pumped up about the Giro but the womens tour of britain is'nt even mentioned :?:
I might of missed ANY coverage on BBC news or maybe they never mentioned it at all.
Just like womens world cup qualifying 4 - 0 against Ukraine, imagine the mens scoring that, well they dont always qualify do they.
01-01-14..81 KGS..26-04 -14- 76 KGS ...(:<)
Breakfast...one toast and jam.......rumble...
Roadies are fair game.......especially when I am on my MTB. 18 Notches - 8 ? +/- a Hybrid (:<(
Punch It Bishop !
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Giro...What No Mention Of Womens Tour ?

Postby nicmarsh » Fri May 09, 2014 11:45 pm

getting some coverage on BBC sports web page. Laura Trott falling off seems to make it all more "newsworthy" . Not bad TV extended highlights coverage on ITV4. But the giro is a grand tour and is a big deal.
nicmarsh

Postby mjr » Sat May 10, 2014 12:52 am

Plenty of coverage on BBC Look East ;-)

But no, not a patch on the amount that the giro is getting. I especially liked BBC breakfast showing a crocodile called Stephen Roche :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling a Revolution Streetfinder with 28mm DC front, 37mm M+ rear. Webmaster for hire, part of software.coop, so keen on practical sustainable transport. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
mjr

Postby pal » Sun May 11, 2014 2:44 pm

There's been pretty good coverage in the Guardian and Telegraph too: not as much as for the Giro, it's true, but comparable with other men's races (and more than I've ever seen for any women's race, except perhaps the Olympics). The crowds look fairly impressive, too (to judge from the tv). And, even with a flat(-ish) course, the racing's been good -- even if that pesky Marianne Vos will insist on winning everything :D
pal

Postby nicmarsh » Sun May 11, 2014 9:57 pm

pal wrote:And, even with a flat(-ish) course, the racing's been good -- even if that pesky Marianne Vos will insist on winning everything :D

She really is in a class of her own.......her achievements have been extraordinary
nicmarsh

Postby RickH » Sun May 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Highlights of the Women's Tour have been on ITV4 each day & are available for 4 weeks on ITV Player. (The last stage isn't available yet - I presume it will appear after the broadcast repeats.) The Tour did get a mention, as well as the Giro d'Italia in Ireland, in the Sports section of tonight's BBC news too.

Rick.
RickH

Postby TrevA » Mon May 12, 2014 1:25 pm

I watched the BBC news last night and they said "the Women's Tour was won by Holland's Marianne Vos and Britain's Laura Trott finished 55th overall". No mention of Lucy Garner who was 7th or Hannah Barnes who was 8th. Is Laura Trott the only British woman cyclist that the general public know/wish to know about?
TrevA

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » Mon May 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi,
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/02/profe ... -the-rise/

And the women...........
http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycli ... ssociation
“We’re always asking, ‘Why are we not treated with the same respect as the men’s peloton? Why are we paid only a quarter of the prize purse?’”
01-01-14..81 KGS..26-04 -14- 76 KGS ...(:<)
Breakfast...one toast and jam.......rumble...
Roadies are fair game.......especially when I am on my MTB. 18 Notches - 8 ? +/- a Hybrid (:<(
Punch It Bishop !
NATURAL ANKLING

Return to Racing, Olympics, TdF, Competitive cycling