Women's tour - wooo!

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.

Women's tour - wooo!

Postby LittleGreyCat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Just realised I am at least semi-pro because I am training on part of the route for the Women's Tour.

That will probably explain the mobs of 'racers' I encountered last Sunday :-)

I do really hope they get the road sweepers out on the course to clean the sand and gravel off the steep blind bends or life might be 'interesting'.

I also hope they stay well out of the 'cycle lanes' because the road surface is generally very poor.
As well as usually blocked by parked vehicles.

[Edit] I will say that it looks a cracking route :-)

[Edit 2] I've just looked at the route map again and noticed the key includes QOM 1 & 2. I assume that this is Queen of the Mountain. Mountain? In Suffolk/Essex? 'Avin a larf!!

Cheers

LGC
LittleGreyCat

Re: Women's tour - wooo!

Postby Stradageek » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:05 pm

I think Emma Pooley was saying that the route lacked a few dramatic highlights however looking at the route for the first two days it takes in all my favourite Northamptonshire lanes and will be both scenic and not a little technically challenging. But then I am a fan of the Northamptonshire roads. Having cycled far and wide in the UK I think that the variety and vast number of beautiful quiet lanes in Northamptonshire take some beating.

I shall be taking a long lunch break from work to cheer the ladies on as they pass through Rothersthorpe
Stradageek

Postby LittleGreyCat » Thu May 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Poor blighters!

Wet and windy weather for the rest of the tour as far as I can see.
Certainly the Suffolk leg does not look hopeful!
LittleGreyCat

Postby mjr » Thu May 08, 2014 2:36 pm

See you on Angel Hill? ;-)

Anyone know what happened to that rider face down being treated by the paramedics on yesterday's coverage? :-(
MJR, pedalling a Revolution Streetfinder with 28mm DC front, 37mm M+ rear. Webmaster for hire, part of software.coop, so keen on practical sustainable transport. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
mjr

Postby honesty » Thu May 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Watched the highlights last night for stage one. I see the women don't Deserve resurfacing work like the men are getting for the TdF. Plus peletons going over speed bumps - fun to watch! Some very narrow and technical roads as well. All in all good to watch.
honesty

Postby Bicycler » Thu May 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Something to watch later tonight then. Had no idea it was on TV. Oh, and I don't think the men's TofB warranted road resurfacing either lol
Bicycler

Postby Stradageek » Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 pm

On the contrary, on Monday I cycled some of what I knew to be the rougher sections of the Day 2 route and was delighted to see long stretches of shiny new tarmac. My local quiet lanes are now much improved - bonus!
Stradageek

Postby Flinders » Fri May 09, 2014 7:59 pm

I've only seen the highlights of Day 1 so far, but the state of the roads was appalling, even for the UK.
I saw what I thought was loose gravel at some of the junctions, and some of the route seemed to be on highly unsuitable roads as well, some with no room to overtake for miles, which spoiled the race.
Flinders

Postby cheesypeeps » Sun May 11, 2014 10:50 am

What channel has it been on? I'll try and find it on catch up!
Using Tapatalk
cheesypeeps

Postby Bicycler » Sun May 11, 2014 11:56 am

Highlights have been on ITV 4 in the evenings. They are on ITV Player as Cycling: Women's Tour. They are on there for 1 month, so plenty of catch up time
Bicycler

Postby cheesypeeps » Mon May 12, 2014 1:49 am

Many thanks, guess what I'm doing 2moro evening :)
Using Tapatalk
cheesypeeps

Postby Tonyf33 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:47 pm

I waited in the village on Saturday on my way to market and there were a large bunch of stragglers about 5 minutes back (and a couple of two's and three's even further back), certainly on a very windy day and with rain it made what was in reality a fairly 'easy' day very much harder, add in that Hertfordshire's back roads are notoriously pants anyway no wonder they looked knackered when they got to Welwyn Garden City
Tonyf33

Return to Racing, Olympics, TdF, Competitive cycling