Stage start or finish: which is best?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Garry Booth

Stage start or finish: which is best?

Post by Garry Booth »

I'm looking at being in the Pau region for the tour stage there. Is it better to be in Pau at the start for the razzamatazz and caravan? Or is the finish best for drama? Also, how easy will it be to get to the Hautacam for the finish, realistically? Any thoughts from people who've been there, done that, most welcome. G
cycleruk

Re: Stage start or finish: which is best?

Post by cycleruk »

The start will give you the best chance of seeing the riders. Signing on takes place at the start so all the remaining riders will be there. More chance of getting closer to your favourite.
The finish will be hectic with the riders wanting to get away for their warm down etc.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Typically the last 400m of finish is closed off and ticketed. Likewise there is a big secure area just behind the finish with the TV trucks etc. This of course depends on the exact location each day.

I have in the past positioned myself by the 1km flamme rouge and got a roadside seat about an hour before the finish for free.

If you want to see individuals, go to the start. If you hope to catch a tiny snatch of racing, be at the finish. If you want to understand, watch it on TV!
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Thanks Hamster and Cycleruk! That's helpful. G
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Problem is the popularity of these tow points.

I have found that finding a corner in a less busy area gives better photo opportunities, the riders have to slow down allowing some good opportunities if you have a camera with multiple fast image option
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:I have found that finding a corner in a less busy area gives better photo opportunities, the riders have to slow down allowing some good opportunities if you have a camera with multiple fast image option

Set your camera's rapid fire going, then look up. I had a near miss at a pro race a few years ago when I underestimated how far over they'd lean around the corner. Makes even aggressive amateur racers look chicken!

Anyone know if the stadium finish in Sheffield will be ticketed?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.